Deal News - Free automation play money

pete_c

Guru
For those interested in some free money to augment your automation...here two of my phone numbers came up on the database list.

From Deal News
Charvat v. Carnival Class Action Lawsuit
August 16, 2017
Last verified 2 hr 1 min ago -

As part of a class action lawsuit, those who received pre-recorded telemarketing calls from Resort Marketing Group (RMG) between July 2009 and March 2014 may be entitled to monetary compensation. The suit alleges that RMG violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act by making pre-recorded calls without express consent. Click here to read more about how to make a claim. Claims must be filed by November 3.

FOX News
By: Katie Tschopp

Posted: Aug 15 2017 11:29AM PDT

Updated: Aug 15 2017 11:51AM PDT

If you've received a phone call offering you a free cruise, you may be entitled to cash up to $900*

A class action lawsuit alleges that Resort Marketing Group, Inc violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act when they made automated calls to people offering a free cruise with Carnival, Royal Caribbean or Norwegian cruise lines.  

Resort Marking Group denied any wrongdoing but agreed to settle.

The settlement includes those who received the robocalls between July 2009 and March 2014 on their cell phone or land lines initiated by RMG during which the company offered a free cruise as a promotion.

All claims must be submitted by November 3rd.

Filing a Claim

* legalize on certification document looks like it could be less than $300.  ;)

Thanks for this.  I get so many robocalls, it's really making me angry.  My number was on their list.

I ended up changing my outgoing voicemail message to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BVbyCZXc5s

and I dump every unknown call to voicemail.  It doesn't seem to help, though. 

I'd pay for a service to screen my calls. 

Or maybe I should set up a PBX with Asterisk, and only forward calls after someone presses a button.

pete_c said:
Filing a Claim

* legalize on certification document looks like it could be less than $300.  ;)
I just checked mine and I was in the database.  If you have at least one call, it is $300 up to a maximum of $900 based on how many times their records show you were called.  The wording did state though that it could be reduced if the number of claims filed does not allow for compensation at the maximum amount.

I do not pay attention much these days.  I do have the above mentioned calls in my blocking database from years ago.  (archived).

Just a copy and paste post form Consumer Reports 2015.

Robocalls do more than negatively affect quality of life: They are a way in which scammers prey on unsuspecting consumers. Telemarketing fraud—which often begins with a robocall—is estimated to cost consumers $350 million per year. The Microsoft robocall scam begins, “Your computer is sending us a message that it has a virus,” then promises to fix it if you provide access to your computer, opening the door to identity theft. The IRS scam tricks taxpayers into believing that the federal agency is on the line, requiring you to pay “fines” by loading money onto a prepaid debit card. Another scam claims that you failed to show up for jury duty and asks you to “verify” your date of birth and Social Security number for the record—information a fraudster can use to open credit accounts in your name.

Thanks in large part to the widespread adoption of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology, which is increasingly replacing old-fashioned copper-wire landlines, the problem of robocalls is getting worse. Calls placed with traditional phone lines correspond to a number associated with a physical location, but robo­callers using VoIP can quickly change their origin number or “spoof,” that is, assume a different number. In the IRS scam, fraudsters spoofed a Washington, D.C., area code to appear legitimate on caller ID. More than $19 million was stolen.

Furthermore, by using VoIP, con artists can set up shop anywhere in the world where there is an Internet connection and place thousands of calls for pennies. “It’s as cheap to make a call from India as from Indiana,” Bandy notes. And they don’t need a sophisticated call center; they can buy a software application, load it onto a cell phone, and start dialing.

 E lizabeth Osborn, 79, of Indianapolis is besieged by robocalls—those prerecorded, unsolicited annoyances that are invading homes every day like a swarm of gnats. “I’ve gotten as many as 10 a day,” she reports. To cope, she says, she has tried ignoring the calls, just letting the phone ring and ring. She has tried answering, following the prompts to talk with a human being so that she can beseech the company to stop. No luck.“When I do that, the calls just increase substantially.”

If robocalls were a disease, they would be an epidemic. Every month more than 150,000 consumers complain to the Federal Trade Commission and Federal Communications Commission about “Rachel from Cardholder Services” or Microsoft “representatives” warning about a computer virus. “Robocalls have eclipsed live telemarketing calls” as a source of consumer complaints, says ­Bikram Bandy, program coordinator for the National Do Not Call Registry, where consumers can list their telephone number to limit unwanted telemarketing solicitations. Aaron Foss, founder of Nomorobo, a call-blocking technology, estimates that 35 percent of all calls placed in the U.S. are robocalls. “For every 10 phone calls you get, roughly three to four of them will be unwanted robocalls,” he says.

Just to be clear: Robocalls refer to auto­dialed or prerecorded telemarketing calls to landline home telephones or cell phones, or unsolicited text messages to wireless numbers. Autodialed informational messages, such as those announcing school closings or weather alerts, are permitted according to the FCC, as are calls to landlines on behalf of nonprofit groups and political campaigns.

Driven to distraction, some frustrated consumers simply turn off their phone’s ringer and let all calls go to voice mail. But that’s not a viable solution for everyone, as Osborn points out. “A lot of people don’t want to leave a message. My 96-year-old mother and my 85-year-old mother-in-law, who suffers from dementia, are both uncomfortable with answering machines.”

An avenue for scams

Robocalls do more than negatively affect quality of life: They are a way in which scammers prey on unsuspecting consumers. Telemarketing fraud—which often begins with a robocall—is estimated to cost consumers $350 million per year. The Microsoft robocall scam begins, “Your computer is sending us a message that it has a virus,” then promises to fix it if you provide access to your computer, opening the door to identity theft. The IRS scam tricks taxpayers into believing that the federal agency is on the line, requiring you to pay “fines” by loading money onto a prepaid debit card. Another scam claims that you failed to show up for jury duty and asks you to “verify” your date of birth and Social Security number for the record—information a fraudster can use to open credit accounts in your name.

Thanks in large part to the widespread adoption of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology, which is increasingly replacing old-fashioned copper-wire landlines, the problem of robocalls is getting worse. Calls placed with traditional phone lines correspond to a number associated with a physical location, but robo­callers using VoIP can quickly change their origin number or “spoof,” that is, assume a different number. In the IRS scam, fraudsters spoofed a Washington, D.C., area code to appear legitimate on caller ID. More than $19 million was stolen.

Furthermore, by using VoIP, con artists can set up shop anywhere in the world where there is an Internet connection and place thousands of calls for pennies. “It’s as cheap to make a call from India as from Indiana,” Bandy notes. And they don’t need a sophisticated call center; they can buy a software application, load it onto a cell phone, and start dialing.

You can join our fight against robocalls by pressuring telephone carriers to offer free and effective call-blocking technology. Sign our petition at EndRobocalls.org.

No phone is safe

If you think you’re protected from robocalls because you use only a cell phone, you’re wrong. Robocalls once were mostly limited to people with traditional landlines, but today mobile devices are also vulnerable. Worse, robocalls and robo­texts use up precious time on a “minutes” package. Dave Huff, of Fortville, Ind., gripes, “You answer, no one talks or they tell you not to hang up because they have important info about your credit card—all of which eats up time that I will have to pay extra for.”

Why doesn’t the Do Not Call Registry thwart robocallers? Even though it’s typically illegal for robocallers to contact a consumer who hasn’t given his or her express consent to receive such calls, many robocallers simply ignore the DNC list, betting that the FCC and FTC are too busy to come after them. They’re often right: Just a handful of robocall operators can cheaply make millions of calls. For example, in 2012, the FTC shut down five boiler rooms running the infamous “Rachel From Cardholder Services” scam in which “Rachel” dangles lower interest rates to get you to reveal your credit-card number. “We saw negligible to no impact on the complaint numbers coming in on Rachel calls,” Bandy reports. “It’s not just whack-a-mole. We have to whack all the moles to really deliver to consumers who sign up on the DNC registry the peace and quiet they want.”

Bandy compares the robocall epidemic to the state of e-mail spam 15 years ago: “For every legitimate message, there would be 100 Nigerian princes writing.” But thanks to better spam filters, it’s not the problem it used to be. Bandy asks, “Can we do that for the phone?”

New—and needed—solutions

Recognizing that traditional tools such as the DNC registry weren’t getting the job done, in 2012 the FTC launched a Robocall Challenge, offering a $50,000 cash prize for the best technical solution to blocking robocalls.

One of three winners was Aaron Foss, a freelance programmer who came up with a prototype for Nomorobo over the course of a weekend. “Before I heard of the challenge, I didn’t even know robocalls were a problem,” he confesses. Nomorobo’s technology intercepts all incoming calls to your phone, judges the likelihood of their being robocalls, and lets only the legitimate calls through. Foss boasts that the technology has a 95 percent accuracy rate.

Foss is pleased with the success of Nomorobo, but he remains puzzled that the major telephone companies, with all of their resources, didn’t solve the problem first. In fact, until recently, one of the biggest hurdles to the widespread adoption and implementation of call-blocking technology has been those industry leaders, which took the position that their legal obligation to complete all calls precluded their offering to block any, despite their customers’ increasingly frantic pleas. But in a significant ruling this past June, the FCC brushed aside the companies’ objections and gave permission for carriers to provide call-blocking technologies. “The FCC wants to make it clear: Telephone companies can—and, in fact, should—offer consumers robocall-blocking tools,” wrote FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler.

But at present it’s still up to consumers to build their own bulwark against robocalls. People with traditional and VoIP landlines can reduce—although not eliminate—robocalls by purchasing call-blocking devices that plug into their phone lines. Some allow you to blacklist numbers you no longer wish to receive; others let you set up a “whitelist,” or manually program the phone to recognize and accept a certain number of known “safe” numbers. (Find out which robocall blockers work best.) Similar apps are available for iPhone and Android users.

The major telephone carriers also offer call-blocking services for some VoIP and landlines. But the options depend on your geographic location and service package, and are limited in their ability to block calls. For example, AT&T lets you block 20 numbers on its VoIP service—which is laughable, given the ease with which robocallers can switch numbers. Adding insult to injury, customers may have to pay for the services.

“The onus right now is on the consumer to navigate these complex problems,” says Delara Derakhshani, policy counsel at Consumers Union, the policy and advocacy arm of Consumer Reports. “Consumers are being forced to pay for tools to block calls they shouldn’t be receiving in the first place.” Obviously, that isn’t fair.

By contrast, Nomorobo’s blacklist contains more than 883,000 numbers, with 200 numbers added every day. Nomorobo is free, but it is currently available only on VoIP phones and when offered by the carrier. “It is technically possible to work on landlines,” Foss says. “That’s the big push: Saying to the carriers, ‘Just make this available to everyone.’ ”

That’s where consumers come in. The FCC and FTC can’t order phone companies to provide anti-robocall technology, but so far more than 327,000 people have signed this year’s EndRobocalls.org petition calling for carriers to make use of the available technology and provide it to their customers free.

In view of the FCC’s ruling greenlighting call-blocking technology, consumers have gained more leverage. And just calling a carrier to complain can send a message. “Customer service costs outweigh the costs to deliver a call,” says Eric Burger, director of the Georgetown Center for Secure Communications at Georgetown University. “It’s dollars per minute to deal with a customer complaint, and they’re making pennies to complete a call. They’d like this problem to go away.”

Wouldn’t we all? But with consumers wielding more clout, the FCC removing barriers to call-blocking tools, and the FTC challenging programmers to come up with creative solutions, there just might be a cure for the robocall epidemic.

How do you guys know that the web site is legitimate and not a scam itself. You are asked to enter your phone number to see if you are part of the suit and I don;t trust them. What if they are just collecting phonenumbers?

Mike.

The claimant website and verification looks real to me and the law firm handling the case looks legitimate. 

Thing is with all the newspapers and web sites posting the link to file a claim...the monies may not be from $300 to $900 paid.

As Jon posted above:

The wording did state though that it could be reduced if the number of claims filed does not allow for compensation at the maximum amount.

All of our vehicles have to have an Air bag replacement due to the Takita recall.

I took a door apart a few weeks back and noticed it had a TRW airbag installed rather than a Takita.

Just found out that you can register for up to a $500 cash payout registering after you have had your air bag replaced.

I did not know this existed. 

It is similar to the above.  You register via your VIN number after you have had your air bag replaced.  

Thanks, Pete. 
Looks legit and 1 of my numbers was found. In the past 2 months I've been paid out on 2 other settlements.

Another deal cropped up yesterday for 6 hours.  Unrelated to OP.  This one was for a free Amazon Dot.  I guess when you purchased it and used a discount code yesterday it took the price down to zero with free shipping for Amazon Prime members.

Many were able to purchase the Dot for free.  Sometime in the 6 hours Amazon noticed the mistake and removed the 100% discount.

pete_c said:
All of our vehicles have to have an Air bag replacement due to the Takita recall.

I took a door apart a few weeks back and noticed it had a TRW airbag installed rather than a Takita.

Just found out that you can register for up to a $500 cash payout registering after you have had your air bag replaced.

I did not know this existed. 

It is similar to the above.  You register via your VIN number after you have had your air bag replaced.  
Pete - do you have a link for this airbag deal?

Here is an article in USA Today.

Among the possible benefits for current and former owners of the 15.8 million affected vehicles:

• Payments of up to $500 apiece.
  • Free rental car for use while awaiting repairs.
  • Reimbursement of reasonable expenses, including transportation, towing and lost wages or childcare costs, accumulated as a result of the recall.
Have an exploding airbag? You might get $500
by Jackie Wattles   @jackiewattles May 21, 2017: 7:17 PM ET

Millions of car owners whose vehicles were outfitted with faulty Takata airbags could soon receive some type of compensation -- possibly a check for as much as $500.
A settlement reached Thursday between four car companies and millions of affected drivers covers an estimated 15.8 million vehicles from Toyota, Subaru, BMW and Mazda. It awaits final approval from the courts sometime this year.

The deal -- which comes more than eight years after initial reports of the recall first emerged -- stipulates that the carmakers will pay $553 million. How much each car owner is paid will vary, depending upon their circumstances. And some of the settlement will go towards lawyers' fees, but those payments haven't been worked out yet.

The deal also involves a ramped-up outreach program to convince people to get their cars fixed. Owners will be notified when the settlement is finalized.

Here it was two BMW's and a Honda Accord.

The BMW link starts by asking for you VIN number.  Then validation.  The asks if you have had your airbag replaced.   You answer yes and it takes you to a registration page for compensation.  No specific amount of money is mentioned.  If you answer no then instructions are provided for having a dealer replace your airbag.

Here every visit to my dealer for anything even after the extended warranty (5 years - 100k miles) BMW would provide me with a car.  Honda did not ever do this. 

I have now also read issues relating to the replacement bags with less than stellar dealerships (like not replacing all of the screws that hold the airbag in place, reusing Takita defect airbags et al).

We have been getting phone calls from BMW and Honda and about 2-3 post cards a week now.  They have ramped up their outreach now.

No email, post card or call mentions a cash back thing; just replacement of the airbag. 

That said they are supposed to give you a rental car if it takes a day or a few hours to do.  Most likely the dealer will not mention this to you.

Looks like the "up to $900" is now down to just a couple of dollars....   Got this in the e-mail today:

A federal court authorized this supplemental e-mail Notice.
It is not a solicitation from a lawyer.

A Settlement has been reached in the Charvat v. Resort Marketing Group, Inc et al. class action lawsuit. A claim for recovery was submitted to and received by the Settlement Administrator that left this e-mail address as a means of contact.

The Court has authorized this supplemental e-mail Notice to inform consumers who have filed claims that, to date, over two million claims have been filed seeking to recover from a Settlement Fund expected to total $12.5 million.

Due to the large number of claims, the individual recovery per consumer will be a pro rata share of the Settlement Fund. The exact per consumer recovery is still unknown, but it is expected to amount to several dollars per Class Member.

Settlement Class Members interested in considering their options under these circumstances should visit www.RMGTCPASettlement.com and review the “Frequently Asked Questions” document that details the rights of Class Members.

Consumers have until November 3, 2017 to file a claim, to opt out of the Settlement or to object to the Settlement.

Yeah here never got an email confirmation on two phone numbers that were in the database so based on your post went back to the site and checked the numbers as valid.  This time though the site presented me with a printable PDF "certificate" which I have to mail before the beginning of next month.  The numbers will now probably be less.

Back