Ditch UPB or double down?

dtremit said:
However, I'm noticing a few things. 
  • First, it doesn't seem like there's been any development on UPB since my last installation.
So far nobody commented on this point.  Why the inactivity?  Has UPB dead-ended, or is there just nothing else it needs to  do or could do?

Personally I do not see PCS going anywhere anything soon.  IE: old not obsolete the technology simply works. 

The oldest UPB switches (well now over 10 years old) work as well today as they did when I first installed them.

Here the only updates to my older UPB switches was dual load multiple paddle stuff. 

NeverDie said:
So far nobody commented on this point.  Why the inactivity?  Has UPB dead-ended, or is there just nothing else it needs to  do or could do?
What else do you want it to do?

Simply Automated released the fan controller last year.

PCS released the 7 button keypad which is really nice.

The WMT RUC is very flexible.

I'd still like SA to release a 4 button faceplate that has full width bar type buttons stacked 4 high instead of the small ones.

Desert_AIP said:
What else do you want it to do?

Simply Automated released the fan controller last year.

PCS released the 7 button keypad which is really nice.

The WMT RUC is very flexible.

The fan controller, I will admit, is a big step forward.

As for the RUC, the iPhone/iPad app hasn't been updated in over a year, and apparently has compatibility issues with iOS 6...

What I'd like to see? In a general sense, some signs of life -- maybe new devices aren't particularly necessary, but PCS should be actively promoting UPB integration with the hubs and other products hitting the market. 

More specifically -- anything LED-focused. Why can I buy umpteen Z-wave LED lightbulbs, but no UPB ones? What about an integrated dimmer/transformer for 12v LEDs? The latter would basically be an exercise in packaging, but would look awfully good.

Sorry, you aren't going to see UPB light bulbs like your not going to see UPB door locks. There really is no need for them, even if the circuitry could fit.  It seems like you are happy with Z-Wave, so why look any further?

I do worry about my UPB stuff too.  UPB is power only, hence the reason no door locks, wireless etc etc.  It doesn't grow because it already fills its niche completely (almost).  Its almost an apples and oranges thing. 

The Op is ending up in the same place everyone does eventually....
HS, CQC, Elve and maybe CastleOS?.  

Some key points
  1. I stick to the No Elve.  No forum, no support, not a choice for a NEW install.  It had the best initial "out of box" experience but that's pointless if its not supported.
  2. Observation - There are not any users here talking about CastleOS. Just Chris, which is a great start, but I would prefer some user feedback and discussions. (and don't get too upset Chris, I know you have you own forum but so does CQC, HS, Elve, and people speak of those here.).  The upside is voice control.
  3. HS and CQC are well understood choices, active members, proactive development.  Both have their own challenges and both have strengths.  CastleOS may be as well...just unknown as a newer product.
Just my 0.02...HS or CQC if for no other reason than they are stable and have longevity.  CastleOS if it fits your use scenario and you are willing to grow with a new product.  

Oh and my wife...who cares little for anything tech or HA related...has told me Echo is all we need.  She even said no more Sonos items.  She wants three echos that can "do what she says"

How it turns things on and off is not important...that is just does is all she cares about.  Thanks Amazon and You tube.

ug

Home automation is not really any different than technology in general.

You went Beta because it was better, but had to switch to VHS because it "won" but then there was HD-DVD and DVDs then BluRay.
Guess what, you would have outdated technology in every case. 

I have an uncle that has 1000's of clasical CDs and he listens to many of them all the time. He is happy. Who cares if its not the latest technology?

Get what your happy with today. Nothing will ever be perfect, but can it do the job you need it to do?

Get what your happy with today. Nothing will ever be perfect, but can it do the job you need it to do?

Really that is all that matters.

Here automation is a hobby and I have in place today automation that works and automation to play with.

IE: I like playing with the Amazon Echo today but it is not a need for automation.  (just like a cellular phone console I guess).  I am though still wondering on the retired cousin attraction to the Amazon Echo over her iPhone as if it were a new friend.

Personally here never assumed that one technology of using X10, Insteon, UPB, Z-Wave nor Zigbee would be the end all means of my automation. 

I have been playing with new stuff but do not need it as it will not make my automation any better or faster for me.  (as stated earlier I am not cellular phone dependant (don't sleep with my telephone) nor internet dependant (even though I am typing right now on this forum). 

I have tried it all as it is a hobby here. 

I do see that uniformity of using one technology and the assumptions created for it; it really does sound nice.

I also just use mostly wired sensors connected to my OmniPro II.  I do have today configured HAI wireless stuff in one home and its been years and mostly do not utilize it.  (probably because I had already prewired just about anything I would need and then some).  I did post install and cable many analog sensors.  I enjoyed doing it and there was never a rush. 

That said today I personally utilize all of the aforementioned technologies not any one in particular solves all of my automation needs.

As Ano states above; get what works for you.  It is your money and your choice.

Personally I was going to write something about "flogging a dead horse" but decided against it.

Specifically this forum / DIYers / professionals in Automation/security do provide a well rounded view of what is out there both old and new.  It is not a forum that sells product whether that is software or hardware. 

The forum does provide a place for folks to write about their wares whatever that may be.  Comments whether bad or good relating to products are generally not moderated.  Mostly much of the time experiences are written about because of real experiences with products / software; sometimes good and sometimes bad.

That is the way I have seen this specific forum over the years.

Back