Front Door Camera

drvnbysound

Doing a bit of research for discrete IP/POE cameras that would be suitable for a front door installation. I'm looking for something that would be installed near eye level, as opposed to overhead (which could be covered with a standard dome or bullet camera).

There are many intercom and closed loop type solutions, I'm interested in something that could be recorded (NVR) and remotely viewed.

I've come across the Axis P12 series cameras, not much else. What have I not yet seen?

You can DIY one too using just the lens board (fisheye) and CPU board.  They already include either the traces for a mini SD card or USB port, POE, SIP, microphone. (and a Grandstream OS).  I have detached and extended the ribbon cable such that you could fit it in a nice flat small outdoor case.  I've been playing with these for my DIY IP HD cams and Speco analog IP66 domes. There is also a light sensor connection and IR connection on the board which works well with the Speco IR lamps that I used.

You can also edit the software a bit for customizing your own logo, et al.  (editing stuff is built in but hidden).

They are around 2.5" square and about 2 inches or so tall.  The pictured one is a 5MP and $92 USD.

camera.jpg

This camera was chosen by a forum user for his mailbox IP camera.  Its a very good quality pinhole camera.

Only thing is that it doesn't have SIP which would be a nice to have for a doorbell camera. 

Hikvision has THIS 1.3MP covert camera (their DS-2CD6412FWD-10) that looks similar to the Axis camera in BSR's post.   I haven't tried it yet, but it is a less expensive option I was considering....

BraveSirRobbin said:
Did you see THIS camera from Axis?
attachicon.gif
pinhole.jpg
Just installed 15 of these.

Barring the angle restrictions and difficulties, they're a good unit.

So on that Axis (or the Hikvision unit), where would that 'box' end up being installed in a residential application? Is that mounted on the interior wall?

Fish the cable to an "accessible" area (closet, ceiling, basement) and then plug the camera in, in the case of the Axis unit.

Factory made cable and assembly for the camera to the box. Want to say it was a RJ14.

DELInstallations said:
Fish the cable to an "accessible" area (closet, ceiling, basement) and then plug the camera in, in the case of the Axis unit.

Factory made cable and assembly for the camera to the box. Want to say it was a RJ14.

In the pictures it appeared that the cable from the camera was only 12-16" or so, making it seem as if the 'box' is really close to the camera. Is this not the case?

I think there was a 15' or longer whip easily....it ships coiled up.

We used them in hospital med rooms and they easily reached from the ceiling to the floor and a ways to the "box" and like that we had set up on our service cart for config. While cheap is attractive, I haven't really seen too many "professional" level systems NOT support Axis.

Back