Hello and help from KC....

wsr31

I have a 2 story house with an unfinished basement. We have ripped out the carpet upstairs to have it replaced and I've taken advantage of acess to the floor. So far I've installed a central vacuum, and I've ran some wires for whole home audio and a security system (most likely Elk M1G). I would like to have everything in the basement as I don't have enough storage on the top floors for a media/security closet. Plus being unfinished it should be easy to run the wires to the main level and basement.

For the audio, I have a Nuvo Simplese system and I'm planning on speakers in the Kitchen/great room area, 2 in the Master BR and 2 in the Master Bath, maybe some outdoor speakers for the 4th source. Using the access through the floor I'm able to get the speakers installed in the kitchen area, and the wires ran to the attic for the MBR/MBA speakers and keypads. I'm leaning towards casa tunes and installing it on a dedicated audio/security PC so that I can use iPhone/iTouch to control the system.

The security is what I'm having trouble with... I'm leaning toward the M1G and would like to connect it to the dedicated PC in the basement. On the top floor I think I'm going to skip window sensors and install motion detectors/glass break sensor as the upstairs windows would be difficult to run wire to and are unaccessable to intruders anyway. I would also like to have a keypad installed in the master BR.

So I've pulled 4 wires to the attic that I can drop in locations for 1 keypad, 1GBS and 2 motion detectors... buying an adjustable hole cutter for the speakers tomorrow so I think I'm going to buy some smurf tube for any future wires I may want to run from the basement to the attic as well.

For the main floor I will again use GBS and 4 motion detectors, I also have a main entry, garage entry and sliding deck door off the kitchen as well as 3 windows that open. I would also like a centrally located keypad for this floor.

The last area is the basement, I've got a walk out, 4 openable windows and an attached shed that I would like to monitor.

So... by my calculation I've got 20 points I'd like to monitor:

5 door entrys
7 windows
2 glass break sensors
6 motion detectors

Is there a M1G kit that comes with alot of the stuff I need bundled? Any suggestions for Elk components to purchase to get started?

Some other goals:
monitoring on web and iPhone or blackberry
replace my old school termostat with something that can be plugged into the M1G (suggestions?)
fire sensors - I have one on each floor and they are currently wired together, any way to tie them in with the M1?
connect to a phone line and have a monitoring service... anyone have experience with them, whats the typical cost, benefits over notifications to iphone/BB?

Thanks to all who read and respond!

Back