Help selecting Lighting controller w/ Elk M1

arctec37

I have installed the Elk M1 panel and have had it up and running for about 6 months with no problems. It controls all security (wired and wireless sensors) and smoke detectors, along with three Aprilaire thermostats. It is time to add lighting controls. The house is approximately 4000 sq. ft., mostly on one level. The power is two 150 amp panels running off one meter pan, single phase. I really only need to control about 5-6 light switches and a few outlets. I have been looking into the Insteon ISY994i but not sure if I should go with the ISY994iZW for future lighting options. I would order either with the dual band PLM. 

The real questions are: is this overkill and should I just go with UPB, or is the square footage of the house a problem, or is UPB technology fading out. If you would recommend Insteon is the ISY994iZW  the right way to go over the ISY994i.

Hope this is the right forum.

Thanks!

I only have experience with Simply Automated UPB lighting on my M1 and can say that I have had no problems at all. I have seven dimmer switches installed in two separate buildings. The high voltage cable run between buildings is a little over 200 feet long so the size of your house shouldn't be a problem. I did install one phase coupler just for good measure.

I have heard of UPB having troubles with too much traffic if you have a lot of devices and a number of scenes but the wire lenght limitation is pretty large. Check this out

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/9305-largest-upb-installation/

Mike.

Back