Hollywood allies sue DVD jukebox maker

electron

Administrator
Staff member
The DVD Copy Control Association (the people responsible for CSS, as in the copy protection scheme), is suing Kaleidescape claiming their new DVD changer product illegally copies DVD's. The Kaleidescape system is basically a server which can store up to 500 DVD's, a system which can store up to 160 DVD's goes for $27,000. Kaleidescape claims that they did not do anything wrong as they did design the product to be in compliance with the license. Kaleidescape plans on fighting the lawsuit, and will probably countersue the DVD Copy Control Association. This lawsuit can have a big impact and probably will define what we can or can't do with our DVD's (and whatever technology is next) in the future.

Read the article

From the Kaleidoscope web page:
Q: Does loading a DVD into the Kaleidescape Server bypass DVD copy protection?
A: Most DVDs are protected by the Content Scramble System ("CSS"), a method used to encrypt the video and audio data. Manufacturers of legitimate DVD playback products must obtain a license from the DVD Copy Control Association (the "DVD CCA") to remove CSS encryption. Kaleidescape has obtained such a license, and Kaleidescape scrupulously adheres to its required procedures and restrictions. For example, when playing back DVD content, the System only allows the audio and video outputs permitted by the CSS License Agreement. The System’s analog video outputs are further protected by certain Macrovision technology, which was obtained pursuant to a separate license from Macrovision Corporation. The CSS License Agreement does not prohibit the copying of CSS-protected DVD data into memory or onto a hard disk. However, in order to comply with the CSS License Agreement, any such copying must be done without exposing certain types of DVD data (keys or unscrambled audio/video data) on “user-accessible buses,†such as the PCI bus in a personal computer. The Kaleidescape System complies with this restriction by virtue of being a closed system comprised of proprietary hardware and software that Kaleidescape designed from the ground up with content security as a major design objective.

Assuming that what they claim is true, it sure sounds like they are doing things legal. It seems silly, if you can afford one of these players, you can probably afford to buy any movies you want to and will do so. Nothing like taking away an apparently legal product to improve your bad image with the average consumer. Considering that the DVD CCA will not be able to stop copying of DVDs (in their present form), all they do is make ethical/honest people do illegal things to protect their investment.

lol John, good one!

I have to admit I am getting pretty frustrated with Hollywood too. I own many DVD's, and some of my favorite movies can't be played on my HTPC (a commercial solution) because of the copy protection scheme (Top Gun is one I am dealing with right now). I am ready to just download the damn DVD rip, eventho I paid for this movie. They are pushing people into downloading these movies because of all this DRM stuff. So much for 'Fair Use'

Back