Introducing Myself, start of my home buildout and possible integration company

trumpetr

Hi all, Long time lurker at AVS and shorter amount here. Jumping into the deep end of the pool.

First a little background. I have 8 or so years working directly in the CATV industry (4 in management), dealing with the full gamut of operations running all sorts of RG-6, networking (cabling and configuration), Commercial and residential customers, wireless RF, CCTV systems, modulation, all the different TV standards etc. I feel that I have the background in the low voltage industry to have a good understanding what is going on.

As an added asset I've been all things techno geeky for longer than I can remember. The idea of making all the systems in the home work together greatly intrigues me and is something that I've always wanted to do in my own home. I pour over information as quickly as I can get my hands on it and cram into my brain. I also have an MBA that I finished a few years ago and a possible business partner that is a Controller for a major media group here in town, so the business side and accounting functions are covered.

My weakest points are on the security side of things more out of not ever having to deal with it. I'm getting there on figuring out the pieces and parts, and most of all the terminology and how that applies to my current knowledge.

So where does this leave me? I'm getting ready to build my own home, nothing spectacular, but around 3000-3100 sq ft, in the $300k range and will be shortly working on the low voltage plans for security, HA, video distribution and security. Luckily the builder is open to allowing me to put in all the wire and conduit paths that I need. I'll be shortly looking for advice and critiques on my design.

I'm also getting started lining things up to be able to do this for my own integration company in the future (one of the reasons that there is good WAF on the new build project). I do have some dealer accounts lined up and am able to purchase gear at wholesale pricing (yes I'm paying use tax). I've obtained a lighting promo from HAI (Omni pro II) and have access to ADI and other distributers if necessary. I've also attended some local dealer training for HAI, been through all the online Nuvo stuff, and spent countless hours designing systems in my head. Currently I'm working out the kinks on business licensing, contractor licensing etc with the city. I don't want to be one of these automation "hacks" that run into a job lowball the bid and do crap work, I’d like to eventually build this into finding a nitch in midrange integration for people like myself. There has to be a market for it. Think homes in the $300-$600 thousand range (Midwest). AV is only getting more complex for people; everyone wants security and energy savings, etc.

I guess that I wanted to introduce myself to the forums and set the stage for future posts on business advice, my "what am I missing" posts and ideas on how to integrate and automate my own home. I'm open to any and all advice, criticism, and ideas that you all have.

Looking forward to it.

Matt

The wiring guide is a great place to start. If you don't want to pre-wire for every possible thing consider the level of access you will have in your new home.

If you have an unfinished basement or crawlspace you can get things into your ground floor walls pretty easy. If you have an unfinished attic you can get into your 2nd floor pretty easy.

In both case exterior walls are less easy than inerior wall. And if you plan to run cables after reconize that it does take more time but you only spend time on what you will need rather than the maybe's.

For sure get some big main conduits from wiring closet to the attic for future proofing, if you plan to pre-wire less and run more cables later this becomes more important and you will need more/bigger conduits.

Anything in the ground floor ceiling will be a nighmare to put in later (e.g. ceiling speakers) so definetely pre-wire that. Definetely pre-wire (and install the sensors) windows and doors since it's SO much easier when the walls are open.

Also pre-wire the basics such that you can quickly get some TV, Internet and phone going such that the WAF stays at a reasonably high level. :)

The wiring guide is a great place to start. If you don't want to pre-wire for every possible thing consider the level of access you will have in your new home.

If you have an unfinished basement or crawlspace you can get things into your ground floor walls pretty easy. If you have an unfinished attic you can get into your 2nd floor pretty easy.

In both case exterior walls are less easy than inerior wall. And if you plan to run cables after reconize that it does take more time but you only spend time on what you will need rather than the maybe's.

For sure get some big main conduits from wiring closet to the attic for future proofing, if you plan to pre-wire less and run more cables later this becomes more important and you will need more/bigger conduits.

Anything in the ground floor ceiling will be a nighmare to put in later (e.g. ceiling speakers) so definetely pre-wire that. Definetely pre-wire (and install the sensors) windows and doors since it's SO much easier when the walls are open.

Also pre-wire the basics such that you can quickly get some TV, Internet and phone going such that the WAF stays at a reasonably high level. :)

Yep, been all over the wiring guide, What a great set of documents. MavRic, those are exactly the thoughts that I've been having, Luckelly I'll have an unfinished basment to work up from, and pretty good attic access to work down. Definatally planning on prewiring audio even though whole home audio is a couple years away.... Also I'm attempting to identify those wiring paths that I truly need at this point vs the ones that I could do later due to costs of materials etc. As I'm sure several of you know, all available cash is being poured into the house and down payments, I have to watch what I get to put in for "toys" at this point.

Looking forward to all of your thoughts.

Back