Is there a wired UPB relay that allows for double pole?

WJefferson

I need to wire a water pressure increaser tank that uses two 15A breakers connected to a shutoff double pole switch (meaning, TWO hots go to this switch). I would like to control this switch with UPB. Does PCS (or any UPB device) have a solution for this?

The only option I can think of is the PulseWorx OCM: Output Control Module, 2 Channels, 30VDC/24VAC, 8A module, combined with a dedicated relay (example, but verify specifications).

edit: That site has tons of RIB variations, including DPDT (which is why I made sure to mention to check specs since they have so many). While I mentioned an appliance module, it can be remotely controlled via scenes or other UPB devices on the network.

Last edited:
Yes, that is only a single throw option.

This sounds like a 220 VAC operated pressure increaser as you are using 'two' breakers. Are the breakers 'ganged' together and near each other in the breaker box? Also, what is the current rating of the pressure increaser?

How do you switch the pressure increaser now? With a regular type 'switch' (i.e. not a soft start device)?

You may have to go with a DPDT relay that can handle this voltage and current requirement that uses a 120 VAC coil. You can then connect the coil to a UPB switch.

Here is something I found on a quick search. This uses spade lug crimp connections. There are probably options out there that has screw terminals instead. It is a good Potter & Brumfield brand and is UL listed.

Lets see what other forum members suggest.

Just my two ,cents. We needed to control a 5hp 220v irrigation pump. I used a motor controller for this powered by a UPB switch. Low over high. The motor control uses two independent legs. Been 3 years and it works great.

This sounds like a 220 VAC operated pressure increaser as you are using 'two' breakers. Are the breakers 'ganged' together and near each other in the breaker box? Also, what is the current rating of the pressure increaser?
How do you switch the pressure increaser now? With a regular type 'switch' (i.e. not a soft start device)?

Two 15A breakers ganged together so a hot goes from each to the double pole switch (a toggle that acts as a shutoff for the pressure increaser)

Just my two ,cents. We needed to control a 5hp 220v irrigation pump. I used a motor controller for this powered by a UPB switch. Low over high. The motor control uses two independent legs. Been 3 years and it works great.

OK, that's a way to do it, but adds a layer of complication. Do you have a link to such a motor controller?

Google up magnetic motor starter. All the major electrical suppliers have them. Careful of the cheap import knockoffs. Your electrical supplier can help you pick. They are not cheap. Siemens, Schneider, federal all make them. I used a simple hai 300 watt switch configured on/off so you don't partially apply the solenoid or under current it. I'll see if I can supply some more reference later tonight. In canada the rig cost me about $300 if I remember correctly.

You can use a 120V motor contactor. Its basically a 120V relay.
Motor Contactor

They aren't that expensive but they need to be in a electrical box. You never want to control a 220/240 device with a separate control for each leg. That is against code and dangerous.

Back