Lightning damage assessment

pete_c

Guru
A friend had some lightning damage which occurred at his home a couple of weeks ago. Looks like it might have been very close or a direct hit.
So far have seen:

1 - one incandescent light bulb burst.
2 - Rain Bird sprinkler controller ceased to function. (replaced)
3 - electronic dog fence ceased to function. (replaced)
4 - Legacy Tivo modem port causing phone line to seize.
5 - LCD TV HDMI port 1 not functioning; rest of HDMI ports work fine (thinking maybe a reset of the TV?)
6 - Video RG6 split a few times downstream (with a couple of ampifiers) HD digitizing much on all TV's (amps ceased to function?)
7 - no burnt smell anywhere that I could tell - but when it occurred he said that there was a burnt smell.
8 - Comcast modem and Linksys AP ceased to function
9 - MM reciever B speakers no longer function and MM reciever tuner no longer functions

That's all I can tell that happened.

Suggestions so far:
1 - redo the RG6 cabling (its all there and has been bypassed).
2 - install new lightning arrestor for CC cable (there also is an RG6 running from a splitter outside of his home wrapped around his gutter to the roof and into a vent)
3 - put a whole house surge protector
4 - buy a new MM receiver

He doesn't want to claim damage on his insurance if possible.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I totally understand, as my house was hit a few months ago with similar damages:
- cable modem and router powered on but did not function properly
- directv receiver powered on but was searching for signal forever
- ethernet ports on ps3 and xbox dead
- coax splitter fried
- phone line had heavy static
- fuse in my sprinkler system blew
- part of the house lost electricity (later found out that the hot wire was blown out of the push-in port behind a receptacle)

All electronics were on surge protectors. CATV and DirecTV coax cables were all grounded properly. I was home at the time, and it was the loudest bang I had ever heard. All breakers tripped and there was a burning smell.

I replaced the coax splitter and the signals were okay, so I did not replace the RG6 cables. I did have to re-run the phone line as the static was unbearable. I bought a wireless adapter for the xbox. Replaced the directv receiver, ps3, cable modem, & router. Total cost of material was less than my homeowner insurance deductible, so I didn't claim either.

Back