Log Temperatures on OmniPro/OmniStat

toddr

I have an OmniPro II and Omnistat 2 thermostats.  I've got a way to log when my heating and cooling kicks on/off.  Now, I'm looking for a way to log temperatures when my HVAC units kick on.  I'm not seeing anything other than logging messages.  Does anyone know if this is possible or a potential work around?  

Main reason I'm wanting to do this is to Log inside/outside temps along with starts and stops.  I'm trying to troubleshoot a HVAC problem that is only occurring when the temp drops below X degrees; typically at nights when it's below 32F.

I'm thinking the only way this may be possible is to use the SDK and write a program outside of the automation utility.

Any thoughts or ideas?

I have a water furnace heat pump and to monitor my units performance I check the output temp above the coil.  However I do not log this nor the outside temps both of which I can see instantly but no record is kept.  heat pumps at least the air to air ones do fail to perform well when outside temps go below 28 F.

Today I can do this with my Homeseer plugin connected via the network port on the OmniPro 2.

I am thinking too you can do this with CQC and the Haiku (Space) stuff.

Tigers (a CT member) went to using an Arduino via an OmniPro serial link just to read temperatures on the OPII panel and he is looking to integrate that stuff to weather station stuff. 

Here I have OPII temperature sensors / humidity sensors inside and outside and they function fine for me today.  The sensors cost a bit more than a penny or two.

That said I do also have an extensive 1-wire network with temperature and temperature / humidity sensors throughout the house. The wired temperature sensors cost pennies and the wiring is relatively inexpensive and involves just sometime and effort.

There are some HVAC gurus today on the Homeseer forum that utilize 1-wire sensors on every piece of the HVAC system.

or

I'm thinking the only way this may be possible is to use the SDK and write a program outside of the automation utility.

Any thoughts or ideas?

You can roll your own interface for just temperature monitoring.  The mechanisms / means are present and posted right here on the Cocoontech forum.

Any thoughts or ideas?

I've just started using ThingSpeak https://thingspeak.com/ to track humidity/temperature sensor values.  I'm using a slightly modified Java open source package called Jomnlink.  https://github.com/digitaldan/jomnilink to acquire temperature/humidity data from my OP2 controller and submit that data to ThingSpeak. The package is compiled and then installed and executed on a Raspberry Pi.

Thingspeak can be used to graph an assortment of data.  For example, you can overlay a graph of interior temperature, exterior temperature   and the operational status  (On/Off) of your HVAC unit to get a rough idea HVAC heating efficiency.  Also, the cumulative data on Thingspeak can be downloaded and imported into a spreadsheet to allow graphing and "number crunching".

I will eventually acquire a few wireless temp/humidity sensors for placement in areas where it's just impossible to run wiring.  This will allow me to get a fairly accurate understanding of the energy efficiency of the house.

Finally, I have made my ThingSpeak charts publicly available for review. https://thingspeak.com/channels/public?username=BobS0327 Data is being captured and submitted to ThingSpeak in realtime.

Back