Major security flaw found in MANY security DVR's

Sometime in the early 2000's I did a multiple office (1 main and 4 satellite) multiple VPN setup for a friend using cheap Linksys switches (routers).  It was relating to using one DB in the main office.  The only issues that I had was the junk OS on the Linksys; but it worked just fine.  At the time the offices were all using DSL. (I also had set up a ZM box in the main office with easy access via the VPN tunnels from the satellite offices).

Having control and using the same Linksys routers of the entire system made it easy.

video321 said:
As I've stated many times I use SSH with a password/key combo. Very secure, but it also opens the gates to my entire network. I have it running over port 443 so it will never be shut down by another network's security. Now for the complicated part.... I have to root my phones for it to work! So, if I can't root a phone... I can't access my network!

Could you provide detailed instruction on how you do this?

Neurorad said:
If the internet provider changed the home IP, would that affect the VPN configuration?

This has not been an issue.  I have dynamic ips at both home and the office.  They change so rarely that it has never posed an issue.  You can't use dyndns (at least not with my routers) because you have to enter a number ip address in the configuration.

I recently switched to uverse at home and at the office which are both dynamic.  But in 8 months that I have had service, neither has changed.  If it did happen, my dyndns service would still work, from which I would learn the new IP address and be able to adjust the router, locally or remotely.

Perhaps I will be able to switch to Google Fiber in the next year or two.  They just made it official, it is coming to Austin.  That would be something having everything connected at speeds as fast as LAN.  My VPN tunnel would be every bit as fast as actually being there.

Hi Lou,

DDNS doesn't change the way you configure the router. The service simply associates a static NAME with whatever the current IP address of the router happens to be. IF the router supports DDNS (and many do) when the IP address changes the router sends a notification to the DDNS provider and and the DDNS provider updates the association with the new IP address.

Frederick C. Wilt said:
Hi Lou,

DDNS doesn't change the way you configure the router. The service simply associates a static NAME with whatever the current IP address of the router happens to be. IF the router supports DDNS (and many do) when the IP address changes the router sends a notification to the DDNS provider and and the DDNS provider updates the association with the new IP address.

To add to this, if the router doesn't support DDNS, you can run an app on a computer that can do the updates when the IP changes.

Frederick C. Wilt said:
Hi Lou,

In the VPN setup, I have to enter an IP address of the remote location(s).  It only accepts a number, not a url.  So if the IP number changes, I have to manually change it on the router configuration.  I can't enter joeblow.dyndns.biz.

The router has ddns support and it does update the ddns server, so I can still use my ddns url to find my IP and log into the router remotely and change the IP if I am not onsite.

Hi Lou,

Having to enter a IP address seems rather strange. What device are you using that has this limitation?

Frederick C. Wilt said:
Hi Lou,

Having to enter a IP address seems rather strange. What device are you using that has this limitation?
Linksys vpn router.  It is an older model, I put it into service maybe 13 years ago and they have been working ever since.

It really is no big deal.  Like I said, ATT in 8 months hasn't changed my IP address a single time at either location.  Before that I was with Time Warner, and it almost never changed either.  Less than once per year.

Frederick C. Wilt said:
Hi Lou,

I was just playing around with my vpn settings and noticed that instead of ip address I can put in a fqdn.  I had no idea what fqdn stood for, so I ignored it.  I just looked it up and it stands for fully qualified domain name.  So as it turns out, I can put in the domain name instead of IP.

However, I'm just going to leave it alone since my IP address seems to never change.

Hi Lou,

Well that makes more sense.

Addresses don't change as often as the used to, as you have observed. Back in the days of dial-up connections, where you connected, worked, disconnected, they changed often. Now with connections being 24/7 (more or less) they tend to stay fixed.

Back