nest protect details

damage

nest's new smoke and CO detector. a few neat features such as waving at it to stop the alarm, verbal alarms, telling the nest tstat to turn off the heater if CO is detected, a motion activated night light (which can be disabled), and if one alarm triggers it will trigger all the other protects installed.  it has lots of sensors: photoelectric smoke sensor, CO sensor, heat sensor, light sensor, ultrasonic sensors and activity sensor

Clever.  Somewhat interesting.  A bit pricey to outfit your whole home.  Hopefully the motion sensor will also tie into occupancy sensing for the thermostat and be exposed in the API.  Wonder about sensor lifetime & whether sensor modules are replaceable. 

I just looked at the manual for the hardwired version. They tell you not to connect the interconnect wire as the Nest Protect communicates over wireless with the other units. It makes sense they need the wireless interconnect for the advanced functionality between the units, but they should have added the hardwired interconnect as a backup. I wonder if this will even meet code when a 120v hardwired interconnected system is required?

No, it will not meet the code unless it is hard-wired for interconnect. The whole Nest line feels more like toys rather than real robust products. Kinda like stuff from now defunct Sharper's image: looks cool but not that useful and does not work very well.

I'd have to really look at the code and the latest revisions, but I believe NFPA does not specify the interconnection or tandem ring needs to be hardwired or wireless on a required system. Just a FYI.

NFPA allows for wireless Smoke Detectors and Alarms, however, there are many specific requirements to be met.  The advertising for the NEST devices state that they talk to each other through Wifi.  If that is correct I dont see how they would meet NFPA or UL Requirements.

The Internationl Residency Code adopted by many local jurisdictions does not (or at least did not) permit wireless devices even if they met NFPA and UL requirements (last I looked).

I tried but could not find a UL Listing on these devices.  Possibly they went to ETL or maybe they are not evaluated by any third party agency. Would be curious if they are or not.

Back