New User, looking for opinions on whole home system

Why is now not a good time to invest in Sage? Nothing has changed recently. I wouldn't invest in Sage expecting to get cable card support in the future however. What I mean is that while it might happen, there is no guarantee that Sage will be able to support cablecards in the future. So don't spend $$ on a big "If".

Hauppauge has just announced another HD-PVR type tuner. The big difference is that this new tuner is actually a card that gets installed in the computer rather than a USB device (I see better than a 99% success rate - but it is definitely not 100%). While the HD-PVR ended up being a fairly stable device, the problems that were seen were definitely USB related. The expectation is that the new card will do away with those issues and the card will be very stable. Yes you will still need to use a IR blaster to control the STB, but once that is set up, it works well.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Nothing out there can touch SageTV when you consider the extenders. Sure MCE tried extenders, but they never fully embraced them and they basically died out. The XBox 360 is probably the only extender still sold in retail, and it is still a gaming system that you can play videos on. The Sage HD Extenders are so much better.

I also love the fact that my SageTV system is fully integrated into my CQC system. It is actually how I control the Sage system 100%. I don't use the Sage remotes at all.

Definitely don't see a reason to avoid SageTV. It's a great and very flexible system. Granted, support for online services such as Netflix and native CableCARD support would make it a killer platform, but I am very happy with the product. Some SageTV users do have it working with CableCARD tuners (see their forums for more info).

a few quick questions..

how does UPB actually work? do you need seperate light switches for each light that are upb compliant? and do you just plug in something to a plug and that plugs into your pc and then you use software to learn/setup your automation?

im currently looking at HAI and Homeseer, are there any things that one can do that the other cant? can you customize the touchpanel layouts with both? is ones customizations better than the other?

Thanks

Reilly

a few quick questions..

how does UPB actually work? do you need seperate light switches for each light that are upb compliant? and do you just plug in something to a plug and that plugs into your pc and then you use software to learn/setup your automation?

im currently looking at HAI and Homeseer, are there any things that one can do that the other cant? can you customize the touchpanel layouts with both? is ones customizations better than the other?

Thanks

Reilly
I'm not an expert in UPB. I am currently installing zwave, Levitons Vizia RF+.

Your question " Do you need separate Light switches for each light that are upb compliant?" Not sure what you mean. If you have a UPB switch or relay controlling the light then you do not need an additional switch to control the light. I am of the opinion that using relays to control lights is not a good idea. I like having a switch that works manually and via automation just incase the automation equipment is not working.

You do need some sort of interface device that plugs into the PC and plugs into an electrical plug. HAI has a device UPB PIM module part#36A00-1. There are also other manufacturers I believe.

I wouldn't invest in Sage expecting to get cable card support in the future however. What I mean is that while it might happen, there is no guarantee that Sage will be able to support cablecards in the future. So don't spend $ on a big "If".

Exactly my point. I didn't say "DO NOT" invest in SageTV, I said "NOW" is not the time as I believe these issues will be brought to light one way or the other shortly! ;)

Reilly,

All of these aftermarket lighting systems work by replacing the light switch that goes to your light. Or, it could be a wire-in module if you don't have a switch and it's a hardwired light... Or, if it's a table lamp or other device that manually plugs into the wall, you'll put a module between the lamp/device and the wall socket.

With the hardwired systems, it still affects your lightswitches and how they're wired - some systems have you home-run each fixture to a central location and then use a low voltage proprietary switch... others wire the switches as normal but include a low-voltage cable to the switch as well for the control system (still using a special switch). Personally I'd NEVER go with the homerun electrical option because you can never put it back "to stock" without the automation...

The majority of the people here seem to use the retrofit options (UPB, ZWave, X10, ZigBee, RadioRA)... for those, as I mentioned, you basically replace the wall-switch. If you have influence while the house is being wired, the only thing you do different is ensure that there is a neutral in every box... but nowadays they're getting better about that it seems.

Once you have your switches swapped out with controllable switches, you'll have some sort of interface to your HA system. It's typically a form of Computer Interface Module. With the radio technologies it looks like it can be as simple as a USB transciever - with UPB it's something that plugs into a wall outlet and your computer (Serial or USB).

In my home, I went UPB... it's a combination of mostly UPB switches, a handful of scene controllers (which wire in like switches), a handful of plug-in modules (appliance and lamp - Lamp dims, appliance doesn't), and one UPB outlet. The basic premise is that you need something in between the thing you want to control and full-time power that takes over control. If there's a switch between, replace that; if not, add something new in between (fixture module, appliance module, whatever's appropriate).

can you give me more info on the extenders for windows7 mce? do they have their own interfce or do they clone the windows mce interface?

I don't believe that the MCE extenders are sold anymore. They had a little bit of intelligence upon boot and just showed the MCE interface.

Very simple and small footprint for the time with basic wired/wireless, HDMI output. Some of them had DVD players.

Still mostly using Tivo (SA and DTIVO) here; but personally I don't watch or record television; wife does.

If your houses exposed framing I would go with a wired system like Homeworks 4.

Dedicated communications (wired) is always preferred.

Back