Omni IIe + C3 Communicator

jeffmowens

Howdy, I'm an advanced hobbyist who has automated two homes with HAI products -- full wiring, installation, etc.. but I'm posted here because I've been "out of the circle" for awhile and was hoping to get some sound advice.

I just got an email from AT&T saying that my 2G SIM service was going to be terminated soon due to their network upgrades to 3G/4G -- which is unfortunate because the C3 only supports 2G service.

We really like the C3 because it allows the Omni to operate as per usual (integrating with the phone) and acts as a backup telephone service should the telco line get cut.

A year ago, I took an extra step and terminated our POTS telephone service completely since we use our mobile primarily and having it in the home was $47/m going out the window. Plus, the AT&T wireless SIM option in C3 offered all we needed for the system to have access to be called or make outbound calls -- for only $8/m.

We don't connect to a monitoring service -- the Omni is programmed to call several phone numbers (myself, neighbors, etc.) in lieu of a monitoring service.

In my research I can't find a replacement solution for the C3.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? 

Thanks!

Here still using a POTs line and DIY'd my secondary failover using 3G/LTE.  I know that the POTs line is going away here soon so now having to check on my alternatives.  Another post here looking at Ooma and a secondary line and reading issues now about over subscribing.  A few years back did pro bono install an OP2 (neighbor) and used her Comcast VOIP line for Alarm CO monitoring.  It worked fine for her. I did rewire here stuff to seize the phone line that she had configured.

Over the years tinkering with this stuff have purchased a few different devices that work for me.  Best is a 3rd party combination modem which does voice, data and SMS.  It is an older combo device made by Ericcson W25.

W25.jpg

It was considered a standard relating to fixed wireless terminal.  It also comes with a rechargeable battery than'll work for a couple of hours.  I purchased my used unlocked one from an Australian vendor for some $30 (plus shipping). Since you are doing your own dialing options this would probably work for you.  Been testing it as an Internet failover/load balancing and it did work for streaming stuff like Netflix for me and the Ooma VOIP line.  I just did a manual failover and it's working fine as I am typing this post via the secondary wire.  It is almost instant.

I did also test the dual sim card radio called a Nexus Hawk.  It is more of an emergency type radio as it also does GPS positioning stuff.

Someone here on the forum posted a new combo LTE Huawei modem (LTE TDD B2268H) which maybe would work.

That product is sold in Canada and is an LTE style combo modem.  I did also test the Huawei USB stick style modems and they didn't work with AT&T at the time.  I do have a ZTE modem that works fine today.   I switched from AT&T cellular multiple accounts that were grandfathered in (25 years of use) after getting slammed by AT&T to T-Mobile. 

Think is you can purchase the multi service modem device, plug in the AT&T SIM card and see if it works or if AT&T lets you use it.

Where I see these sort of devices being utilized much these days are on boats; such that the market is there for these.

Anyone else have any input? I'd prefer to have a more polished solution if one exists... The W25 is not a viable option / not available right?

What about news / rumors of a newer generation HAI Leviton C3?

You can purchase an old Ericcson W25/W35 for some $30 these days. They are still very much utilized as a polished solution for little boats (cabin cruisers) today.  Most telco vendors prefer that you utilize their solutions which basically just wireless modems these days with no voice stuff.   (I also have one of the ZTE portable AP's that connects to my cellular service).

Well depending on where you purchase these; they can be expensive.

Boat Fixed Wireless.

Google fixed wireless modems for boats and you will see all sorts of solutions.  They are very much still utilized for dependable communications in an emergency situation (like a crash site thing).

As mentioned the LTE Huawei modem (LTE TDD B2268H) is sold in Canada new and it is an LTE fixed wireless modem with voice/FAX and internet today.

The Nexus Hawk with build in GPS and dual connectivity is also utilize for emergencies today and it really needs to work 100% of the time when needed.  It is a standard polished solution still utilized today.

Ideally Leviton/HAI should come up with a solution that is using internet broadband and wireless considering that the telcos are all wanting to do away with copper. You can also just utilize the HAI email board connected to one fixed wireless AP if you wanted to.  Here playing a bit with a micro router that you can attach an LTE modem to and it works fine in this fashion.

HAI ethernet ===> microrouter ==>
1 - main lan
2 - LTE LAN

Works fine this way and fits inside of the OmniPro can powered by the OmniPro.  Works better with an external antenna.

Have a read here:

3G/4G-capable replacement for HAI C3 Communicator?

GSM Dialer Options

If all you are doing is texting today you can purchase the HAI email board and connect the panel to a fixed wireless modem with a back up battery.  It will work for a couple of hours with a battery.

Back