Omnistat2 1st stage heat even when outside temp under lower setpoint

davetres

Hi,

I have a dual fuel heat pump system with oil fired furnace.

I have created a program in the Omni IIe that raise the temp setting from 65 to 70 in the morning.

When outside temp is under the lower balance setpoint (upper: 35, lower: 15), and the program change the setting from 65 to 70, it will start the first stage(heat pump) for about 2 seconds and I can hear the heat pump compressor start and immediately stop (after 2 seconds or so) even when temp is lower than 15 outside. Right after the 2 seconds, I see on the Tstat that the 1st stage heat arrow is flashing (waiting for the min on or off timer).

So this morning, at 5 am, outside temp was 9, the program changed the setting from 65 to 70 and I could hear the heat pump compressor kick in for 2 second and right after I checked the Tstat, first stage heat arrow was flashing. After the flashing arrow (waiting time of around 6 min), the 2nd stage heat start (oil).

My concern is that it suppose to have a lockout on the heat pump under 15 Fahrenheit but the Tstat kick in the first stage heat for couple of seconds. The way I see it is that it's suppose to immediately start with the 2nd stage heat and never try the first stage when outside temp are lower than 15.

I think it is not good for the heat pump compressor to start for 2 seconds only.

Here are my omnitat2(RC-1000) settings:

balance setpoint - upper=35F, lower=15F 

Cool min on - 7
Cool min off - 8
Heat min on - 7
Heat min off - 8

Cool stages - 1
Heat stages - 2

Heat eec - 7
Cool eec - 5
aux heat differential - 2
start delay - 5 min

Cool anticipator - 5
heat anticipator - 4
2nd/3rd stage extended on - off

You may want to contact HAI/Leviton directly on this.  The OmniStat2 has lots of "smarts" to optimize things and sometimes it may be too smart for its own good. You might be able to turn off one of its optimizations and maybe correct that characteristic, but likely their programmer will be the only one that knows what to adjust.  As you probably know, the Omnistat2 instructions aren't that great.  

Back