OneWireContainer10-Error reading CRC8 from device.

macuser

Hi,

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

I have built a 1-Wire weather station as directed by Tim Bitson's book. All was working fine except for my solar sensor was giving me this error:

Error Reading Solar Sensor: com.dalsemi.onewire.adapter.OneWireIOException: OneWireContainer26-Bad CRC during read.99
Solar Level = -999.9 %

Thinking it could be software related (because the solar code is an addendum to the book) I posted it on the Bitson's weather forum and he suggested installing a 100 ohm resistor. I did that, but still no luck.

I decided that it must have been some damage that I caused to the board... (though I'm pretty careful) So I ordered a new complete temp/humidity/solar sensor. It just arrived moments ago and this time none of the sensor seem to work:

Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Error Setting Resolution: com.dalsemi.onewire.adapter.OneWireIOException: OneWireContainer10-Error reading CRC8 from device.
Error Reading Temperature: com.dalsemi.onewire.adapter.OneWireIOException: OneWireContainer10-Error reading CRC8 from device.
Temperature = -999.9degs F
Error Reading Humidity: com.dalsemi.onewire.adapter.OneWireIOException: OneWireContainer26-Bad CRC during read.99
Humidity = -999.9%
Dewpoint = NaN degs F
Error Reading Solar Sensor: com.dalsemi.onewire.adapter.OneWireIOException: OneWireContainer26-Bad CRC during read.99
Solar Level = -999.9 %

I know I should just email Hobby-boards and ask for help, but I also thought it might be good to have this on the forum in case others experience it.

All three sensors show up in the OneWireLister and OneWireViewer. I'm on a Mac - using the ds9097u with a keyspan.

All of my other sensors work fine. I've tested the board with and without the other sensors attached. I have only used parasitic power. I am not using a barometer. My current cable length is about 6 feet (but have also been using 30+). I've only tried it w/o the jumper.

Any help?

Bart

Does the sensor read properly from the 1-wire viewer? If so, then your hardware is good.

Also, you say you are only using parasitic power; are you sure that the board supports this? Some items do require external power.

Seth

Thanks Seth,

I didn't think this board required power, but maybe with the solar option is does? It does return a temp/humidity value in the OneWireViewer. However, one works with Tim Bitson's Java code (simpleweather) and the other doesn't. Is that odd? I just read about this: http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/148

Do you think it would be a good idea to get a power injector and send 5V regulated through the network? When installed the network will have 8 sensors and at least 30 feet of cable.

Bart

Bart,

We recommend using external power for all of our devices that support it but it is not required unless you are using a device that requires it (like our Barometer) or you have many devices on the network (like more than 10 or 15). If you are running on parasitic power then make sure to remove the jumper or strange things can happen.

I don't understand why if they work with the OneWireViewer they wouldn't work with Tim's code. Both programs use the 1-Wire Java library. Do both of the devices work in the OneWireViewer?

Eric

Hi Eric,

Yep both boards seem to work okay in the OneWireViewer. The solar shows up as a device but doesn't return any results - I don't think the OneWireViewer is set up to display the solar info. I'm just not sure what I could be doing wrong. What really blows my mind is that my first board was able to return temp and humidity to the simpleweather code. However, the new board doesn't return anything at all.

I reread Tim's book and he does mention that the type of errors I am getting can happen if the 100 ohm res isn't installed. I'll try that again tomorrow and see what happens.

While I have you attention though, an I ask some advice? I plan to install this 40-50 feet away, outdoors, and not near a power supply. I am daisy chaining these devices in this order going from the beginning to end: temp/humid/solar, wind, lightning, rain counter.

I've been running this for the past couple months with no problems other than the solar returning that error. So I think my set up is ok. Anything else you can recommend? Right now I do not have the lightning protectors in place (the three diode one that Tim suggests).

I've mounted all the sensors to PVC exactly to the specs in the book. I haven't had it near any motors or devices that would cause interference (not that I know of). I'm using CAT5 cable.

Would things work better with a junction box or with additional power?

thanks...

lost at this point,

Bart

Bart,

I don't think adding external power would help with the problem you are seeing and 40-50 feet is not a very long run so that shouldn't be a problem either.

You can read the humidity on the same device that you can't read the solar? If so then is definitely a software problem because the humidity and solar use different parts of the same DS2438 so if you can read one you should be able to read the other.

Eric

"You can read the humidity on the same device that you can't read the solar? If so then is definitely a software problem because the humidity and solar use different parts of the same DS2438 so if you can read one you should be able to read the other."

Right! so that would mean that they both have the same device serial number!!! ah ha! (Tim B helped me figure that out)

Okay, but why in the OneWireLister are there three DSN's listed when I only have the temp/solar/humid attached? what's the third one for? it ends in 09.

I was putting the third DSN in for the solar.

Thanks for your help.

Bart

Back