Problems With Blue Iris 3.62.04

The I/O subsystems on laptops are not generally known for their throughput.  How are your disks and network connected?  Local buses (internal sata ports, on-board ethernet) or via USB?  

Any chance you've used the Resource Monitor to look for bottlenecks?  Stalling network connections, drive queues, etc.  Could be there's something else causing problems that the BI program can't work around.

Laptop dedicated to BI so no other programs to cause trouble unless there is a virus scan enabled someplace (will have to check for that), No external connections except the Ethernet cable which is a 1GB link.

wkearney99 said:
wkearney99, on 19 Nov 2018 - 09:56, said:

Good, fast, cheap... pick two. It's the age-old rule for, well, everything.

The myth is "need" to monitor any significant quantity of cameras. Motion sensing and proper camera field of view work wonders for reducing wasted effort. Likewise "decent" detail. You have to ask just what is it you think you'll gain by having higher resolutions? Because by the time you spend enough money and dedicated enough resources you'll find, much like family slideshows of old, the video never gets used.

There's a significant risk of getting caught up in wanting 'everything' and ending up with a whole lot of disparate stuff that never really gets one WAF-approved function down pat.

But at this point I'd venture the thread is probably wandering far beyond the CQC/HS topic. Perhaps time to start a camera/BI specific one and let the conversation pick up from there?

Moving this to the correct thread...

My goal is to cover my doors and outside perimeter with cameras. The six I have now cover the main entrances and driveway with minimal overlap. I reckon 4 more will get the remaining doors and other 2 sides of the house.

For detail I am mostly interested in being able to recognize if a person is a stranger or somebody I know or if that thing in the garage is a new package or just a shadow. Again I ask : if you argue that detail is not that critical than why do they even make 4K cameras in the first place? Why not just make 640K and leave it at that?

Not much concerned about recording video except to see what happened while I was asleep. (mainly animal pest issues) I only record on motion.

The value of viewing a bunch of cameras live is not theoretical but comes from years of doing it and having at least 2 or 3 events each week that warrant some action (stranger on the property, legitimate visitor who seems confused which door to go to, unexpected delivery, raccoon or woodchuck snooping in the garage, etc.)

I can't depend on motion for live viewing because there are too many false alarms with outside cameras during the day from clouds and wind. Reducing sensitivity lets too much important stuff sneak by. Having all cameras streaming live to a tiled view at my desk seems to work well for catching my eye when something is amiss.

A nice add-on would be if I could call up the same cameras on my Echo Shows, which are multiplying quickly at my house, to quickly view a door or the driveway when Homeseer announces a doorbell, driveway alert, or garage motion sensor trip. The ability to pull up an image on the nearest Show when I am not at my desk is valuable enough to me that if i can't do it with the same cameras I use to monitor things from my desk then I might be willing to put a second camera in some locations just to provide that feature. (But I would really prefer not to have to do it that way)

I'm having trouble finding an obvious design that will work to do what I need and I'm a little wary of putting good money into a new computer for Blue Iris only to find that it still struggles to do the job.

Edit:

How many cameras do you think this PC could handle assuming 1920 X 1080 @ 30 fps on each camera?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076D71Q4L/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3RUF4WM0ZIQQN&psc=1

Troubleshooting 101 says remove the new cameras that you installed one at a time until the system becomes stable again but the first thing that I would do even before that is to upgrade to the latest version of BI.

If that doesn't lead to any clues then re-install them back one at a time looking closely at the requirements of the cam and watching system resources closely. Task manager is all you need to watch disk usage, memory and network. Don't overlook hardware problems either. If you install a cam and the hang returns then swap it for a different cam.

Mike.

Before upgrading BI I am going to try the free camera viewer from SV3C for awhile since it seems to be able to provide a live view of all 6 cameras without struggling at all.

Meantime I am troubleshooting getting the RTSP feed from the cameras to display on an Echo Show via the Monocle skill. I've verified the RTSP URL and codec are correct by using VLC to test the feed and view the codec details and all looks good. I also verified that these cameras are known to work OK with the skill but Alexa says the camera is not responding.

I guess I'm just jinxed or something.

upstatemike said:
Before upgrading BI I am going to try the free camera viewer from SV3C for awhile since it seems to be able to provide a live view of all 6 cameras without struggling at all.

Meantime I am troubleshooting getting the RTSP feed from the cameras to display on an Echo Show via the Monocle skill. I've verified the RTSP URL and codec are correct by using VLC to test the feed and view the codec details and all looks good. I also verified that these cameras are known to work OK with the skill but Alexa says the camera is not responding.

I guess I'm just jinxed or something.

The 'bleeding edge' sometimes feels that way. 

Getting feeds out of cameras and onto devices like the Show is tricky, at best.  There's not enough standardization or momentum of camera users out there to get the right pieces all sorted out.  At least not yet.

Bear in mind, 'viewing' a quantity of cameras is considerably less burdensome than processing the signal and saving it in a buffer.

Back