Slow copy from MS OneDrive to local HDD

JimS

I am backing up some things to local storage and getting horrible transfer rates. about 1.75 MB/s. This is one a Win10 laptop with I-5 processor that has good (not blazing) performance. Wifi connection to Spectrum cable. Network speed tests look good and loading web pages while the copy is running is quick so it doesn't seem that's the bottleneck. It's an older Seagate HDD with USB 3.0 - found a review saying write speed was 120MBps. My only guess is this is being throttled somewhere. Any ideas on what to check or how to fix? BTW, it's a work PC - might try it in the office.

Interesting... It had been running for about half and hour and said it had an hour to go. Speeds had actually been decreasing. I came back about 10 minutes later and it was done. Just a variation of the "watched pot never boils" saying? :)

Ran a speed test on the laptop and got 5 Mbps. My plan is 300 but I'd be happy with 50. I shut down the laptop and went to spectrum on the desktop with wired connection. The spectrum test showed 95 Mbps which agrees with a test using an independent site. A test on my phone (wifi) gave 38 Mbps. Wondering if running a speed test through spectrum site is somehow detected by spectrum and temporarily gives me more priority on their network.

Back