SmartHome (Insteon) Warranty Practices

TonyNo

I had a four-month-old lamp module stop dimming, so I contacted SmartHome. They offered to send a replacement if I scrapped the old one (remove the label from the back and send them a photo). No more sending back the old one.

Not sure when they started doing this, but it's interesting.

I've had several experiences like that recently with other manufacturers. Just emailed them a photo of the defective product and they sent a replacement.
It's probably cheaper for them to do that on occasion than to physically verify the bad product.

The sole on one of my Merrell shoes separated from the upper in the first year. I contacted Merrell and they offered to replace them if I'd send them a picture of my pair with the tongues cut out. Makes sense when you think about it... returning them would have cost money and they'd only have thrown them out anyway. 

Contrast that with what ACT used to do (remember ACT?). If we had a bad dimmer or switch, we'd have to submit the serial number to get an RMA. Someone would go through a list of serial numbers to ensure it matched up and was a current product. Then, we'd have to ship the unit back to them. They would then repair and and return it. Yes, they actually paid a staffer to open the unit up, trouble shoot it and replace the broken part. Clearly nobody there ever did a cost analysis on their returns! Also, the customer would end up waiting weeks for the repaired switch.

Back