The Why Didn't I Think Of That Energy Sensor

I'm sure many of us have thought about this before. I have. And I believe there are some products that already implement some type of pattern recognition based at least on usage patterns if not voltage drop patterns. You will still need a way to sense the amount of usage through a current sensor or smart meter unless you have usage profiles associated with each device which are consistent for each use. Not sure if it will be possible to use this with smaller devices or lighting but for big appliances it seems like it could be useful. Initially training the system could be somewhat annoying though.

I didnt watch the whole video but I dont think it will know the difference between the 75 watt lamp in the MBR or the front porch.

The software used with the TED 1000 has a similar capability. It lets you identify various appliances and other high wattage devices based on the power used. For example, you tell it that whenever the total kilowatts in use jumps by 4kW, it means the A/C is on.

do you know any examples to compare to of others doing this especially something as plug and play like this.

from the video it looks like they already have a dbase of 'usage' profiles for common objects. the training over time is just used to fine tune it to your home.

i don't think the smaller objects will be trouble anymore than the larger ones. it's just a matter of classifying which objects are actually where in the home.

I'm sure many of us have thought about this before. I have. And I believe there are some products that already implement some type of pattern recognition based at least on usage patterns if not voltage drop patterns. You will still need a way to sense the amount of usage through a current sensor or smart meter unless you have usage profiles associated with each device which are consistent for each use. Not sure if it will be possible to use this with smaller devices or lighting but for big appliances it seems like it could be useful. Initially training the system could be somewhat annoying though.

2 main differences i see with this product are:

1. no real hookup needed. just plug and play. much simpler than TED.
2. this one looks like it may classify everything itself instead of you having to manually classify it. could be they are using a common dbase of object energy usage as a base or something. they may even be able to group items together based on the length of the voltage or something. i.e. be able to tell that 2 lights, a fridge, a coffe pot, and a microwave are all within 20' of each other so classify them together as a room to start and let use adjust as necessary.

to me those would be the main advantage over similar products on the market. quick and easy physical installation and minor setup requirements to get going with everything.

The software used with the TED 1000 has a similar capability. It lets you identify various appliances and other high wattage devices based on the power used. For example, you tell it that whenever the total kilowatts in use jumps by 4kW, it means the A/C is on.

Back