Thermostat rule programming issue - Elk M1

SIMKO

I have been using this code for a few weeks now and I thought it was perfect until today.

I armed the system but realized I needed to do something else before leaving so I disarmed it. After a few minutes I realized the heater wasn't on even though it should have been. I figured out that by arming and disarming I got output 100 and output 102 in a competing loop. Output 100 was started when the system was armed and output 102 was started before 100 ended so it switched back and forth between the away temp and the home temp until one of the loops finally won.

Code:
WHENEVER Cabin Home (Area 1) ARM STATE BECOMES ARMED
		 THEN ACTIVATE Economy Mode (Task 2)

WHENEVER Economy Mode (Task 2) IS ACTIVATED
		 THEN SET Main (Tstat 1) HEATING DESIRED TEMP TO Away Temp H (Cust Set 3)
		 THEN TURN Output 100 ON FOR 1 MIN

WHENEVER Output 100 STATE IS TURNED OFF
	 AND Main (Tstat 1) HEATING DESIRED TEMP IS ANY VALUE OTHER THAN Away Temp H (Cust Set 3)

WHENEVER Cabin Home (Area 1) ARM STATE BECOMES DISARMED
		 THEN ACTIVATE Comfort Mode (Task 3)

WHENEVER Comfort Mode (Task 3) IS ACTIVATED
		 THEN SET Main (Tstat 1) HEATING DESIRED TEMP TO Home Temp H (Cust Set 4)
		 THEN TURN Output 102 ON FOR 1 MIN

WHENEVER Output 102 STATE IS TURNED OFF
	 AND Main (Tstat 1) HEATING DESIRED TEMP IS ANY VALUE OTHER THAN Home Temp H (Cust Set 4)

Would it be better to make the output time very short (1 sec) to minimize the possibility of this happening or could I then end up with incorrect settings on the thermostat from communcation issues again.

I thought about checking the arming state when the output turns off but not sure if that will have any unintended consequences.

WHENEVER Output 100 STATE IS TURNED OFF
AND Cabin Home (Area 1) ARM STATE = ARMED
AND Main (Tstat 1) HEATING DESIRED TEMP IS ANY VALUE OTHER THAN Away Temp H (Cust Set 3)

WHENEVER Output 102 STATE IS TURNED OFF
AND Cabin Home (Area 1) ARM STATE = DISARMED
AND Main (Tstat 1) HEATING DESIRED TEMP IS ANY VALUE OTHER THAN Home Temp H (Cust Set 4)

Any help is appreciated.

Maybe instead of relying on ouputs you could just have a rule check every hour (or less/more) and the armed state and then check/set the thermostat. So it'll just pick up the state on the next interval. Logic like that may be less "absolute" and therefore less reliable, but I think in the real world it will work good enough.

I just installed a pair of OmnitStat II's and I am also seeing times where the Tstat temp isn't set by my simple rule so I am going to try a similar approach, however as wuemch suggests I programmed my M1 to send an update to the Tstat every 30 minutes. This will also help 'over-ride' an 'over -ride' at the Tstat. Examlple:

Whenever every 30 minutes
And Home (Area 1) Arm State = Disarmed
And Time of Day is later than 6:00 am
And Time of Day is earlier than 11:59 PM
Then activate Set Comfort Mode (Task 1)

I'll test it for a while....

Back