Troubleshooting Adventure.

BLH

I recently assembled and installed a XTB-IIR; X10 Repeater Coupler; in my home. I thought you may find my adventure in troubleshooting interesting.

Equipment:
ELK ESM1
Smarthome 4819 TesterLinc with 1132B Interface.
Smarthome 1132CU Controller with Essentials Software for the Signal Test broadcasts, from the computer room.
X10 TM751 Transceiver
X10 TR16A Touch Tone Responder In the Master Bedroom.
X10 PF284 Powerflash Module In cellar close to the breaker panel.

The ESM1 showed 5 or more bars in all my outlets. Sending X10 signals with the 1132CU; TR16A;
TM751 in the Boost In AC connector on the XTB-IIR.

The TesterLinc with 1132B Interface showed a constant stream of. BSC Bad Start Code; BBK Bad Block and BCY Bad 3 Cycle Gap. From any of the test positions and modules.

So I tried the tests with the XTB-IIR powered off. I got the SAME results with the TesterLinc. So it was not the XTB-IIR. Thought maybe I have a two way module acting up and we know that Insteon Modules are two way.

Before I started looking at the Insteon Modules, I tried a second TesterLinc with the same results. Tried a second 1132B Interface module. Now ever test is OK, with both TesterLinc's. It was a BAD 1132B sending garbage to the TesterLinc when cold. Got better when it was on for maybe five minutes.

Using some RJ45 jacks, splitters and cable. I found the RS232 Output signal at -5.5 volts when cold and the TesterLinc spewing garbage. When it went to -6.95 volts I got correct messages. The second 1132B showed about -6.95 volts from the start. Also the Smarthome Synapse program used to directly talk to the 1132B showed no incoming data from the bad 1132B until it warmed up.

So Murphy got me and don't overlook your test equipment maybe giving you false results. As you are doing troubleshooting and have a tough problem or strange results.

Back