TVs in the 19" to 32" size range with serial control

sic0048

I was searching for smaller TVs with serial control (to use with CQC) recently. I've bought my TVs already, but I though I would share my research here in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation. Please let me know if you know of any other TVs in this size range that have serial control and I will add them to the list. I posted originally on AVS Forum but did not get any suggestions from that crowd.

Here is what I have found so far.

Olevia
227V - 27"
527V - 27"
232V - 32"
432V - 32"
532H - 32"

LG
20LS7DC - 20" (thanks 123)
23LS7DC - 23" (thanks 123)
26LG30 - 26"
26LG40 - 26" with a built in DVD player
32LG30 - 32"
32LG40 - 32" with a built in DVD player
32LG60 - 32"
32LG70 - 32"

Zenith
Z22LCD3 - 22" (Uses the LG protocol)

Sharp
None with RS-232 in 19-32" sizes

Westinghouse

Samsung
None with RS-232 in 19-32" sizes. Some models may have a service port which allows limited control, but there is no way to turn the TV on from the service port. So you would have to have an IR emitter attached to the TV in addition to the rs232 connection

Panasonic

Toshiba

Vizio
None with RS-232 in 19-32" sizes. Some models have a service port, but according to the support people at Vizio, it cannot be used for control. (If someone knows that this is incorrect, please let me know - we know how accurate the tech people can be about stuff like this).

Thanks

Brian,
Thanks for posting this over here (I was following your thread on AVS, as I too am looking for a smaller serial controlable TV).

Can I ask what you finally went with and where did you get it? How is it working out (are the protocals available and working)?

Steve

I bought an box box Zenith 22LCD3 and a new LG 32LG30 from BB (I paid $200 for the Zenith and $640 for the LG). I went there because the LG model was on sale. When ever I go to a big box like that I always check the back of the TVs on display looking for serial controlled TVs. That is how I stumbled upon the Zenith model which they just happened to have on display. I never could find a protocol for the Zenith model and the support people said it wasn't serial controllable. But it has a serial port that is labeled "Service and Control." I knew that LG actually makes the Zenith models, so I bought it hoping that the LG protocol would work. My theory held true - both work just fine and actually use the same basic protocol. The zenith replys to status inquires a little different than the LG does, but that was the only difference between the two. I use CQC and Mark has created a universal driver that control most of the LG models (certainly the LG 30/40/60/70 series) and he modified the driver to work with the Zenith model. So I can confirm that without a doubt there is a CQC driver that will handle those two models.

LG is very good about printing their serial protocols. They are actually listed in the owners manual and as a rule, if their TVs are serial controllable, the port is labeled "Service AND Control." They do make some TVs that are not serial controllable, but their ports are labled "Service Only." The protocol for the LG 2*LS7DC models that 123 suggested are in the owners manual, but I did not compare them to the lg 30/40/60/70 series. If they are different and you use CQC, I'm sure Mark could modify the driver to work with those models. In reality I suspect the protocol is very similar if not exactly the same.

It was within the last month or so. But it was an open box display and the only one they had. Certainly BB and CC do not carry that TV normally anymore. At one point, BB was clearing them out at around $250 new (do a google search and a lot of expired "deals" come up), so I offered $200 (actual marked price was $225) and since I was buying another TV (even though it was on sale) they let it go for that price. I felt pretty lucky to get it at all, and certainly that price made it even better. Well it was a good deal since I got the CQC driver for it. Had it not worked out, I'd be mad that I had bought it over something else that did work with CQC ;)

Zenith Z22LCD3 - 22" (Uses the LG protocol) will show up on PlasmaConcepts...but they dont have it...my order got cancelled...

LG 20LS7DC - 20" also seems to be discontinued.....

Does anybody actually know if the 19LG30 won't work...i know it says 'service only' but so do others that seem to work....am tempted to get it and test...but i don't have CQC yet. I suppose i can just telnet to it to test.

Back to the search....

Thanks sic, I saw it online at cc through some link that took $30 off so it was down to $300 new. I'm looking for a little tv for out in the garage or in the ice shack but I'll probably just keep on using my laptop for now.

I just purchased 3 LG 32lg30s, and am very happy with them. They have a very bright picture, and the quality is very good. They also are a very attractive TV, with gloss black bezels. I would highle recommend them. I have yet to control them via serial, however.

Back