WC8, 8ch relay board and safe Mains manipulation

No problem, I have no brand loyalty to a particular fuse vendor. Cooper/Bussmann just happened to be the first Google search hit. with a PDF spec page. I have a fuse parts bin filled with different ratings I have acquired over the years and I except for some 5x20s I have no idea who made them. That is the nice thing about home-brew vs real manufacturing, documentation can be a little on the casual side.

Agree about interrupt rating, but assuming the OP is not running his chicken warmer(tm) directly from a car battery that should not be a problem.

/tom

I like the fact you two actually know what all that means. Good for you :)  

The power will certainly come from a 110V Main. I will get the parts together, check all the amps and then figure out (probably by asking questions) how to use one main supply which then gets distributed to the 8 110V gadgets. But first I will do as much research as I can,

Rainer

rfeyer said:
how to use one main supply which then gets distributed to the 8 110V gadgets.

Rainer
A lot depends on where a various AC loads are located and how easily you can bring them to a central location.

If you can bring AC wiring to a central location then locate the relays there.  That make troubleshooting more convenient.

If not  then locate the relays remotely and use LV wire to connect them back to the controller.

By way of example in my case the greenhouse and wood heat controllers locate the SSRs in the same inclosure as the controller.

For the outdoor lighting controller that was not practical so I located the relays near the respective loads.

The other big difference is the first two are permanently connected where as the latter plugs in to the mains.

/tom

Yup, I've pretty much located the most centralized area where both main lead and MC can be installed.

Can the Mains be distributed to the actual gadgets in a daisy chain fashion (i.e.: the lead not going to the relay) or would there have to be some type of diode preventing voltage feedback?

Yup, I've pretty much located the most centralized area where both main lead and MC can be installed.

Can the Mains be distributed to the actual gadgets in a daisy chain fashion (i.e.: the lead not going to the relay) or would there have to be some type of diode preventing voltage feedback?
Many light circuits are wired this way due to the larger air space in an octagon box for a light fixture compared to a rectangular switch box, complying with electrical codes more.

The 120vac power goes to the light octagon box. The neutral gets wired directly to the light fixture neutral connection. The live black wire gets connected the white on a 2 conductor cable going to the light switch box. The black wire returns the power from the light switch box and connects to the live terminal on the light fixture.

Negatives? No neutral / common in the switchbox for better quality dimmers, motion detectors and HA switches.

Back