Western Digital Announces the First 2TB Drive

Then again, i can't imagine how long it would take to upload 100GB, even at my 3MBps cxn.
The online backup places I have tried will do differential copies once the bulk of the data has been sent. Makes for fairly quick updating.

I don't use backup software for my backups. I use a file sync program. It's called Super Flexible File Synchronizer (yes, lame name) and it works great. It will create an exact mirrored copy of my files onto another drive, without having to copy every file each time. It even knows if I have moved files on the source drive, and will move them on the target drive, without having to recopy them. It even will E-mail me results of a sync! I have used it for years, and even use it at work.

http://www.superflexible.com/

I have used superflexible for over 6 years at work, currently using the software to manage offsite backups for terabytes of data. The software is very robust and flexible and the support is outstanding.

I use it at home also to copy my data to backup drives that I take out of my house every now and then. Depends on how much has changed .

StevenE

I managed to get a dreamhost web account with unlimited storage and bandwidth for some low price (can't recall exactly, but under $60 for 2 years). I plan to use that for an offsite backup. Just need to figure out how to automate doing a backup and then FTP up to the site, with 'recycling/deleting' of much older backups.

Please make sure you encrypt your backups, in case your account gets compromised (has happened in the past with DreamHost). Also keep in mind that there is no such thing as unlimited, they will shut you down if you take them up on their offer, so make sure you get notified if a backup is successful or not.

I;d like to run Raid 1 for at least the OS portion of my Windows Home Server, but when turning on the hardware raid support on the mobo i can't get WHS to install properly and WHS itself seems to take over all the hard drive control and it's difficult to tell it where to put certain things.

grrr...now it's been up and running and don' really think about it anymore..but the day will come ofcourse when it dies and SageTV, CQC, lighting,etc will all go down with it and the WAF will take a huge hit. Most likely this will happen one the first day when i'm on a 2 week business trip. :)

I;d like to run Raid 1 for at least the OS portion of my Windows Home Server, but when turning on the hardware raid support on the mobo i can't get WHS to install properly and WHS itself seems to take over all the hard drive control and it's difficult to tell it where to put certain things.

grrr...now it's been up and running and don' really think about it anymore..but the day will come ofcourse when it dies and SageTV, CQC, lighting,etc will all go down with it and the WAF will take a huge hit. Most likely this will happen one the first day when i'm on a 2 week business trip. :)
I was just reading about WHS the other day - it would seem that it is designed to be "just a server" and that "It" controls where things get put based on the available drives and the shares that get created. The paper even stated that it was not designed for direct console mode, but instead, to be accessed via the WHS RDP equivalent. It warned that files appearing to be stored in one location could erroneously be construed to be physically present in another due to the stub/junction points (or some such speak) it creates / uses. In any case - I have the software and a key for it (MAP subscription) so I intend to give it a go in the near future... Have fun on your trip.

Getting this thread back on topic :)
Have any of you guys bought one of these drives? If so what's your initial thoughts?

Getting this thread back on topic :)
Have any of you guys bought one of these drives? If so what's your initial thoughts?

I'm waiting for them to be available at Buy.com or PC Connection. Both have them for around $270, but not in stock yet. Swapping out the 1TB GP drives with the 2TB in my HD DVRs. As soon as they are available, I'll post it here.

Kevin

Back