Panasonic phone system - KX-TA824 vs KX-TDA50

PaulD

Been looking at different phone systems which have good features to enhance my HA implementation. Have been focused recently on the Panasonic KX-TA824 and KX-TDA50 because of the features I can get with them. Looking to see if anyone has any experience with either or both of these systems and can offer my some thoughts on why one would be better than the other for a DIY project. I have hooked up with a local dealer who is willing to match internet pricing, provide all the support software and also let me DIY while he remains in the background offering assistance (not for free) when I ask. My dealer is advocating the 50...which I suspect is because he feels like I will be more likely to stumble with it and fall back to him for long term support. See below.

From what I have been able to determine in my digging for info, the two systems are very much alike under the surface with similar features and components but function via different software. The 50 represents a step forward in some features and use of digital functions. The 50 also has some features built in where the 824 requires additional boards to get those functions. The 824 is a bit older and seems to be more "open" for a DIY person while the 50 has incorporates more proprietary features which appear to make it tougher for a DIY person and potentially more reliant on a dealer for support.

I am currently leaning toward the 824 because I think it is better suited for a DIY situation. Comments?

I have worked from a wiring perspective with both of these series of systems. Both are pretty similar and really very easy. Plug in the CO lines to the hub, and plug in a homerun line for each station. Really all there is to it.

From a programming perspective, I have done some minor revisions with the older system using only the phone keypads with overlays. Let me tell you it is a real PITA to figure that stuff out, especially if the dealer has customized soft buttons etc. and not given you any documentation on the customization. The dealer has a software program that they can use to do the programming, then I know they left a floppy disk with the programming backup. (This was 10 years ago for the original programming) My understanding is that the newer system is not that different as far as this process.

The biggest question is will the dealer provide you this software, or will he say that you can go ahead and try to program via the phone keypads (possible but a royal PITA)? The programming software is what you really need to take a look at to get a good idea of the complexity involved in either proposition. I would be kind of suprised to learn that the newer software is that much more difficult.

Here is another entire direction. If you want to do all the programming yourself, etc. have you looked into asterisk?

You do NOT want to program a Panasonic phone from the keypad. PITA does not even begin to describe the experience. :D It makes programming a alarm system from the keypad seem downright fun.

The KX-TA824 includes the programming software. Not sure about the KX-TDA50.

Don't know about those models specifically, but I worked with KX-TD1232 and KXTD816's - and from what everyone said, the panasonic software was a PITA... there was a 3rd party app I found that was either free or hacked - made programming extremely simple (panasonic programmator).

You can get a lot of good information from www.phonedoctor.com - call them and they'll tell you whatever you need to know about DIY (software, features, differences, etc) and if you buy from them, they have excellent free support. I honestly think you might be better with a company like that over a dealer who makes money when something is over your head... and they're prices have generally been pretty good.

I know that programing via a phone is a PITA and I would not want to do this without the PC software. The 824 comes with all the software as standard but I would need to buy the software for the 50 from the dealer.

From what I understand, you can just plug in the 824 and it will work for basic functions right out of the box. Would need to work with the software for the advanced features. Not sure if the 50 ready for basic functions right out of the box.

I know that programing via a phone is a PITA and I would not want to do this without the PC software. The 824 comes with all the software as standard but I would need to buy the software for the 50 from the dealer.

From what I understand, you can just plug in the 824 and it will work for basic functions right out of the box. Would need to work with the software for the advanced features. Not sure if the 50 ready for basic functions right out of the box.

I had the 50 installed, gave up fast and got the 824.

I have the kx ta824. Easy to set up, the software that comes with it is easy to use but you will need the manuals to understand some of the functions.

I have the kx ta824. Easy to set up, the software that comes with it is easy to use but you will need the manuals to understand some of the functions.

I have all the manuals for both the 50 and 824 from the internet. Reviewing them is what made me lean toward the 824. The info on the 824 as well as some internet sites I visited made me think that the 824 will be easier for a DIY project. All these comments confirm my thoughts. Thanks to all.

You didn't want to use something like Voip (Asterix) and some IP phones (tons out there like the Cisco 7940). Esp. if you do PoE, you don't even need to run power out to them.

--Dan

I like the KX-TAW824.
I hope you mean you like the looks of it and weren't referring to the programming. It's an absolute bear to program, even with the software. Even getting simple things like "line 1 rings on extensions a, b, c, and line 2 rings on extensions e, f, g, was a headache. Absolute overkill for a residence, unless your address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

I like the KX-TAW824.
I hope you mean you like the looks of it and weren't referring to the programming. It's an absolute bear to program, even with the software. Even getting simple things like "line 1 rings on extensions a, b, c, and line 2 rings on extensions e, f, g, was a headache. Absolute overkill for a residence, unless your address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

I did not find it difficult, the documentation was a bit spread around but other then that I thought it was rather straightforward to program. To each their own.

I would stick with the TA-824 and avoid the digital models like the TAW-824 etc. The TA-824 has normal analog on the audio pair so you can use regular phone devices with it. For example: I use loop detect relays on many extensions to tell when that extension is off hook so my automation system can mute music and announcements. I use KX-T7736 phones which look good in a residential environment.

I would stick with the TA-824 and avoid the digital models like the TAW-824 etc. The TA-824 has normal analog on the audio pair so you can use regular phone devices with it. For example: I use loop detect relays on many extensions to tell when that extension is off hook so my automation system can mute music and announcements. I use KX-T7736 phones which look good in a residential environment.

That is exactly one of the reasons I am intend to use a system like this. Lots of other very good systems out there if you are only interested in the phone function but I intend to use mine for the intercom, door phone, paging system and other interesting things related to HA. I was also leaning toward the KX-T7736 for most (not all) phones because they have the larger display. In many respects, it is overkill for a residence but it it the least expensive option I have found that will do the things I want it to do.

The TAW-824 supports POTS compatible devices as well, with either the hybrid cards or the SLT cards.

One of the things I really like about the TAW-824 is the "cell phone" approach to the wireless handsets.

Back