OmniPro smoke detector compatibility

hwayneb

Hello All,

I have a question of compatibility between a smoke detector and OmniPro II. I'm not sure how up to date the compatibility list in the install manual for omnipro is.

I currently have GE Model # 429CST 2 Wire Smoke/Heat Detectors installed with a 2k Ohm EOL Resistor. While the installation manual for OmniPro II calls out specific compatible detectors and the need for a 1k ohm EOL resistor, will what i have currently be compatible and will it work with OmniPro II?

Thank you,
Wayne

Hello All,

I have a question of compatibility between a smoke detector and OmniPro II. I'm not sure how up to date the compatibility list in the install manual for omnipro is.

I currently have GE Model # 429CST 2 Wire Smoke/Heat Detectors installed with a 2k Ohm EOL Resistor. While the installation manual for OmniPro II calls out specific compatible detectors and the need for a 1k ohm EOL resistor, will what i have currently be compatible and will it work with OmniPro II?

Thank you,
Wayne

O.K. it sounds like there is a bit on confusion. Heat detectors use two wires and have no power needs. These can work on any zone with an EOL resistor. I don't know the value off hand, but HAI supplies them with the panel. Smoke detectors come in two types, 2-wire and 4-wire. 4-wire smokes require 4 wires (2 for power) and can work on any zone. 2-wire smokes are a special breed and get power via just two wires. The OmniPro II does support 2-wire smokes on the first four zones if a jumper is set correctly. For 4-wire smokes, you should (to meet UL requirements) add an end-of-line RELAY. This is a relay that will trigger the panel should the power fail to 4-wire smokes. 2-wire smokes don't require such a relay, because if a wire fails, the alarm will sound.

So, the Omni should be compatible with whatever you buy, but how they get wired will vary from device to device. The installation manual has some good pictures.

Lest you be caught unaware (as I was) when I installed my OmniPro 2, the system is only designed to support detectors...does not support built in sounders. Your 429CST has a sounder built in. The OPII is designed to use the detectors and then use the system alarms as a sounding device. In my case, my local home inspectors would not accept that approach for a new home. However, there is a way around this delima if you install 4 wire along with a end-of-line relay as noted earlier. The instructions on how to do that are not to be found in your OPII manual but they can be downloaded from the Worthington site. This topic was discussed earlier in another thread.

Back