Zwave - Primary Controllers

drvnbysound

I havent seen any recent threads that had any discussion regarding pros/cons of the various primary controllers. I am looking to purchase one within a few weeks and wanted to get some feedback. I have the Kwikset locks so I do need the controller to support the lock classes, and I am planning to use this in conjunction with the Leviton VRCOP.

I have initially been looking at the ControlThink Think Stick, as well as the Aeon Labs Series 2 Z-Stick. Unfortunately, I haven't read up on Zwave much, so please let me know if there is a better solution for implementing this.

If it makes any difference, I have been collecting equipment for some time now - I have an Elk M1 and have purchased CQC (also not yet installed).

I know that dean is using the aeon labs z stick to develop the CQC zwave driver. Unfortunately the USB zwave driver won't talk to locks so you will need to implement the vrcop to do that.

Right, and I knew Dean was working with the Aeon stick, which had me leaning toward using it. I just wasnt sure if there were any advantages of using a different one, such as the Think Stick.

If you use the Leviton VRCOP make sure it is the current version. Leviton did not change the part number when the changed the VRCOP. The back of the VRCOP needs to say "VRCOP rf + 3". The 3 being critical. The version with the 3 on the back support beaming and encryption which you need to for locks.

If you use the Leviton VRCOP make sure it is the current version. Leviton did not change the part number when the changed the VRCOP. The back of the VRCOP needs to say "VRCOP rf + 3". The 3 being critical. The version with the 3 on the back support beaming and encryption which you need to for locks.

Correct - I had read that on the Kwikset (Zwave) and HAI thread here: http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17885&st=30

Page 3 is where it was documented to ensure you get the one with +3 on the back.

I just read through some of the instruction manual on the Aeon stick, and it eluded to needing 'host software' but didnt specifically name anything in particular. There is no current software listed on their site, but they have a product on their website called 'Zwave Programmer,' which is listed as coming soon. Whereas, Control Think has their own software (Think Essentials) as does Leviton (Vizia RF+ Installer Tool Software).

I wonder if it wouldn't be better for me to just get the Leviton VRUSB stick. In the case that I were to have any complications, it's a lot easier to troubleshoot with a company when you are only using their stuff, so one company doesn't point fingers at another - not that any of them would do that ;)

I just read through some of the instruction manual on the Aeon stick, and it eluded to needing 'host software' but didnt specifically name anything in particular. There is no current software listed on their site, but they have a product on their website called 'Zwave Programmer,' which is listed as coming soon. Whereas, Control Think has their own software (Think Essentials) as does Leviton (Vizia RF+ Installer Tool Software).

I wonder if it wouldn't be better for me to just get the Leviton VRUSB stick. In the case that I were to have any complications, it's a lot easier to troubleshoot with a company when you are only using their stuff, so one company doesn't point fingers at another - not that any of them would do that ;)

I'm in the same situation as you... have two Kwikset Z-wave locks, a VRC0P, and plan on controlling a Z-wave network via a ELK EZ8 / VRC0P. I was just looking to decide on primary controllers this morning and was leaning toward the Aeon Labs stick, but ended up placing an order for the Leviton VRUSB. I was actually wondering if the Leviton RF+ Installers Tool might work with the Aeon Labs stick, but in the end I thought sticking with Leviton for both the primary and secondary controllers was the best approach for the exact reason you stated: it's just easier to deal with one company's products (fingers crossed).

Aeon Labs Z-Stick Series 2 is great. Small and you can unplug it to carry around adding devices so you don't have to lug a laptop around your house.

Aeon Labs Z-Stick Series 2 is great. Small and you can unplug it to carry around adding devices so you don't have to lug a laptop around your house.

Any issues getting it to work with a Kwikset z-wave lock? Also, what software did you use with it?

I use homeseer's z-troller and have found it to have great range and power. The led telling you what Id that is being assigned is nice as well.

Note though that you can only use it as a primary if the software you use is designed to act as the (proxy) primary controller. CQC treats the stick as a secondary and assumes you have a remote control style primary to use for carrying around and enrolling modules and such.

If you follow the links in my signature there is a great free software option (called Premise) for use with the VRC0P +3. The VRC0P driver for Premise is open source too so you can easily add new devices as they come out.

If you follow the links in my signature there is a great free software option (called Premise) for use with the VRC0P +3. The VRC0P driver for Premise is open source too so you can easily add new devices as they come out.

Thanks. I actually installed Premise over the weekend to play around with it. The only two z-wave devices I have active at the moment are an inexpensive z-wave controller from Intermatic and an appliance module. When I ran discovery in Premise the first time I had weird comm failures with the VRC0P. I ran it a second time and it discovered the controller, but not the appliance module. I ran it a third time and got the same results. The fourth time I cancelled discovery because 10 minutes in it appeared to be hung, and the status for ViziaRF showed "Error Status: 11" whatever that means.

The Intermatic controller doesn't expose things like node ID, so it was hit or miss figuring out integration. So I'll mess around with Premise and the VRC0P as soon as I get my Leviton USB stick and get it set up as primary. Sure wish the VRC0P would act as a primary controller... would make life easier.

Since no one else has mentioned it I thought I would throw this out there. I use the Vera 2 by Mi Casa Verde and I think its great. Right now you can pick it up for $198 (well, $238 with a $40 mail in rebate from the manufacture). I use it with about 20 z-wave devices (including a schlage door lock), but also my DSC security sensor with 19 zones, my denon receiver, some X10 PL/RF devices, and about four schlage IP cameras that I flashed with different firmware.

It is basically a little embedded device running openwrt with a built in z-wave controller. It provides a very usable web interface and you can extend it very easily with Lua code. You certainly don't have to write code to use it, but the option is there which is nice if you want to add support for new things to your home automation setup.

I was originally going to use something else as my home automation controller and just use the Vera to handle z-wave. But I just really liked the Vera.

Back