Zwave - Primary Controllers

Since no one else has mentioned it I thought I would throw this out there. I use the Vera 2 by Mi Casa Verde and I think its great. Right now you can pick it up for $198 (well, $238 with a $40 mail in rebate from the manufacture). I use it with about 20 z-wave devices (including a schlage door lock), but also my DSC security sensor with 19 zones, my denon receiver, some X10 PL/RF devices, and about four schlage IP cameras that I flashed with different firmware.

It is basically a little embedded device running openwrt with a built in z-wave controller. It provides a very usable web interface and you can extend it very easily with Lua code. You certainly don't have to write code to use it, but the option is there which is nice if you want to add support for new things to your home automation setup.

I was originally going to use something else as my home automation controller and just use the Vera to handle z-wave. But I just really liked the Vera.

I keep hearing about it, and the mention of you Denon receiver interested me. Do you have a Denon with a RS-232 connection on the back, or does the Vera 2 support it via IR?

I keep hearing about it, and the mention of you Denon receiver interested me. Do you have a Denon with a RS-232 connection on the back, or does the Vera 2 support it via IR?

I have a Denon 3808ci which has both an RS-232 and an ethernet port. I use a plugin to control it over ethernet. The plugin is actually not 100% complete (which is my fault as I'm the primary maintainer!) but hopefully I'll wrap that up soon. Basically it is just lacking some options to control extra zones and audio settings. Pretty straightforward to add but no one has requested it so far. But the plan is to support everything the Denon's interface does which is quite a bit.

As for IR control from the vera the best bet is probably a device called the SQ Blaster by Square Connect which will control all your A/V equipment over IR and can integrate with the vera. Square Connect also has an ipod/ipad application to control the Vera for $10 (I think it is free with the SQ Blaster):

http://www.squareconnect.com/

Here are a few youtube videos demoing the product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwhvaTiyMyE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcIxpLaXtjI

Almost makes me wish I went with an ipad! Hopefully their android version comes out soon. They also have a designer product that lets you create your own skins. It all seems really slick.

Is it something intended to be integrated into other automation systems, i.e. does it have a good control protocol?

Is it something intended to be integrated into other automation systems, i.e. does it have a good control protocol?

By this I assume you mean it can be easily controlled from another home automation system? I've heard the term "good control protocol" thrown around a lot and I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a good one. So I'm probably not the best person to answer this question. I'm certainly not a home automation expert.

However, my understanding is that it is pretty easy to interface with the Vera to either grab state information or control devices though JSON. I think you can also use XML. The developers claim they aim to make it easy to integrate with other systems:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Data_Provider_Catalog_Plugin
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Data_Provider_Catalog_Plugin_Requests

I've not done this so I can't speak to it!

However, I do like how they handle adding scenes and devices to Vera. I have written a few plugins that can control a large number of devices so I can speak to that. It seems very well thought out and executed.

I have a Denon 3808ci which has both an RS-232 and an ethernet port. I use a plugin to control it over ethernet. The plugin is actually not 100% complete (which is my fault as I'm the primary maintainer!) but hopefully I'll wrap that up soon. Basically it is just lacking some options to control extra zones and audio settings. Pretty straightforward to add but no one has requested it so far. But the plan is to support everything the Denon's interface does which is quite a bit.

As for IR control from the vera the best bet is probably a device called the SQ Blaster by Square Connect which will control all your A/V equipment over IR and can integrate with the vera. Square Connect also has an ipod/ipad application to control the Vera for $10 (I think it is free with the SQ Blaster):

http://www.squareconnect.com/

Here are a few youtube videos demoing the product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwhvaTiyMyE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcIxpLaXtjI

Almost makes me wish I went with an ipad! Hopefully their android version comes out soon. They also have a designer product that lets you create your own skins. It all seems really slick.

Oh, you've got a nice receiver. I have a Denon, too, but no Ethernet or RS-232 on it, so I'm stuck with an IR solution. I'm trying to do as much as I can internal to the Elk, but may end up rolling out Homeseer... I use a Squeezebox for satellite radio and Internet radio streaming, and HS makes a plug-in for Squeezebox control. The Squeezebox is cool because there are apps for Android, so right now I can control the streaming through my phone or Android tablet. But not having volume control is a drag, and I'm shooting for "one button turn on" via the Elk keypad to fire up the receiver and Squeezebox when I get home. Haven't connected all the dots yet on a path forward... still trying to get Z-wave rolled out, and bummed that Aeon Labs doesn't have the micro-switches available for sale until next year.

I was notified on Monday by Smarthome.com that the Leviton Vizia RF+ Plug-In Serial Module has been discontinued. :angry2: I had planned on using this with CQC as my foray into Z-Wave. I received the Leviton VRUSB-1US - Vizia RF+ Installer Tool last week and now have to comtemplate sending it back as I was going to pair the two in order to have the security capability to handle ZWave door locks.

I am now back to the drawing board as to what my ZWave options are. Anyone else have any thoughts / seen anything on what Leviton's plans are re the home automation interface and a replacement?

Thanks,
-Ben

I was notified on Monday by Smarthome.com that the Leviton Vizia RF+ Plug-In Serial Module has been discontinued. :angry2: I had planned on using this with CQC as my foray into Z-Wave. I received the Leviton VRUSB-1US - Vizia RF+ Installer Tool last week and now have to comtemplate sending it back as I was going to pair the two in order to have the security capability to handle ZWave door locks.

I am now back to the drawing board as to what my ZWave options are. Anyone else have any thoughts / seen anything on what Leviton's plans are re the home automation interface and a replacement?

Thanks,
-Ben

Just to make sure I understand, Smarthome told you Leviton discontinued the VRC0P? Didn't they just release the new firmware for it a few months ago? Has anyone seen anything from Leviton on this?

Thanks,
-Ben

This is strange as Leviton just introduced the Vizia RF +3. I think this info needs to be confirmed. Maybe Smarthome.com meant that the VRCOP RF+ was being discontinued.

You might try another vendor like ASIHome or one of the other vendors. Just make sure you are getting the Leviton VRCOP RF+ 3. The 3 is very important as it is the one that supports secure beaming needed for locks.

This is strange as Leviton just introduced the Vizia RF +3. I think this info needs to be confirmed. Maybe Smarthome.com meant that the VRCOP RF+ was being discontinued.

You might try another vendor like ASIHome or one of the other vendors. Just make sure you are getting the Leviton VRCOP RF+ 3. The 3 is very important as it is the one that supports secure beaming needed for locks.

I agree, this is the reason I selected this product, it was much newer. Great minds think alike, I am waiting on a chat session to activate with Automated Outlet to see if I can get more info.

-Ben

Just to make sure I understand, Smarthome told you Leviton discontinued the VRC0P? Didn't they just release the new firmware for it a few months ago? Has anyone seen anything from Leviton on this?

I thought this is what I had ordered, the web page is gone from Smarthome now, it very well may have been an older model they were getting rid of and I messed up. Online with AO now, will report back...

Okay some clarity; I received great info from a chap named Wilson at Automated Outlet via their web chat feature. The current version of the VRC0P has been discontinued by Leviton; they are in the final stages of releasing a new VRC0P that has capability to handle the security protocols required for the Zwave locks. AO indicates that they are expecting the new module in the next 30 days but no guarantees as that is out of their control. AO does have some of the older units still in stock.

Whew! Folks sorry for the partial false alarm but at least there is more clarity in what is going on with this.

Also, Wilson indicated that Evolve is the only other Zwave vendor that has the security protocol capabilty in it's controllers at this point.

-Ben

Okay some clarity; I received great info from a chap named Wilson at Automated Outlet via their web chat feature. The current version of the VRC0P has been discontinued by Leviton; they are in the final stages of releasing a new VRC0P that has capability to handle the security protocols required for the Zwave locks. AO indicates that they are expecting the new module in the next 30 days but no guarantees as that is out of their control. AO does have some of the older units still in stock.

Whew! Folks sorry for the partial false alarm but at least there is more clarity in what is going on with this.

Also, Wilson indicated that Evolve is the only other Zwave vendor that has the security protocol capabilty in it's controllers at this point.

-Ben

Leviton has already released the VRCOP RF+3. I have had one for several weeks and currently have it working with a YALE zwave deadbolt. Note: Leviton did not change the part number. So you have to ask the vendor specifically if they have the VRCOP RF+3.

Leviton has already released the VRCOP RF+3. I have had one for several weeks and currently have it working with a YALE zwave deadbolt. Note: Leviton did not change the part number. So you have to ask the vendor specifically if they have the VRCOP RF+3.

Ben, I got my VRC0P RF+3 from ASI Home (as PaulB suggested for you). I think all their stock is the +3 now.

Well, Smarthome got VRC0P back in stock. No mentioning of +3 or locks support. I'll try to call them. Perhaps they might verify that it's the new one.

Back