How to log my UPB activity with OmniPro II

does the pc have to be hooked directly to the hai panel? or can i retreive it via my lan connection with the panels IP address?

Trying to figure out why all my HAI modules randomly FLICKER together, ONLY when the modules are on do they flicker. Off modules to not power on to flicker.

Here is a video of it happening....

No the PC doesn't need to be hooked up to the HAI.
You need a PIM hooked to the PC.
It will receive all of the traffic on the UPB network regardless of source (HAI, local switches, other controllers).
Even using HLC and all HAI components, it's still a good idea to have a second standalone PIM and a copy of UPStart to program non-HLC behaviors and for troubleshooting/archiving UPB network setups.

As far as I know there is no way to directly log what the HAI is transmitting. Even if you were to add programming lines to log UPB transmissions, a lot of those transmissions are automatically sent in response to other traffic so it would be very difficult to capture them all.

You need a serial commection from the PC to the PIM.
If you don't have an rs-232 serial port you need a USB to serial converter (not all work) or a USB PIM.
The USB PIMs work OK for programming, but you need a serial one for anything else.
So I use a USB to serial converter cable with an RS-232 PIM.

Doesn't have to be HAI's PIM, they all should send and receive UPB.
I use a Simply Automated PIM for UPStart, found one on e-bay for $10.
The cabling for the HAI can be a pain for use with a PC.

so the USB model from Simply Automated (UMC-USB-W) will not allow me to see a log with upstart? it needs to be the serial version (UMC-DB9-W)

The USB version should work fine with UPStart.
It can't be used with most controllers and stand alone products.
The RS-232 version is just more flexible.

Back