New Elk M1 Install questions

BassTeQ

Hi all,

Ive just started to install my new M1 system, just a few questions.

Im using cat5 to the keypads, in the wiring it gives an example of

cat 5 Brn/Wht -> RED
cat5 Wht/Brn -> Black
etc ...

Now my cat5 colors pairs are only a solid color and a white with a stripe of color.

So What Im assuming as that Brn/White is actually just the solid brown wire? and Wht/Brn is the solid white with a brown stripe?

Also, whats the best way to mount the panel to the inside of the enclosure box. I thought some sought of stand-offs or mounds might be provided? Are people simply just screwing them through into the plaster behind?

Thanks!

That must be a typo. brown/white and white/brown are the same thing. It should be brown/white and brown.

But here is the main point. It makes no difference what colors you use, provided you are consistent. It is best to use twisted pairs for the +/- on data lines since EM interference is reduced. So any solid with a solid/white would work. I like to always use a twisted pair whenever doing any kind of a postive/negative thing regardless of whether it is data or power.

Here is a pic of the manual & data bus.

I've written on the manual the pin numbers I've connected the navigator panel to, just wondering if everything looks ok?
note: You can see the data bus pin out information on the right hand side.

IMAG0332.jpg

Is what Lou is saying is that it doesnt matter which colors you use, as long as you are consistent throughout your install. It is easier to use the recommended colors which eliminates you having to think what colors you used. From what I can tell, yes your diagram looks correct.

Is what Lou is saying is that it doesnt matter which colors you use, as long as you are consistent throughout your install. It is easier to use the recommended colors which eliminates you having to think what colors you used. From what I can tell, yes your diagram looks correct.

Thanks for the replies!

I've seen cable like that before... where it'll be majority brown with a white stripe, then majority white with a brown stripe; same with each other color.

For the OP, yeah you get the point - it's the same thing as solid brown and white w/brown stripe.

Also, whats the best way to mount the panel to the inside of the enclosure box. I thought some sought of stand-offs or mounds might be provided? Are people simply just screwing them through into the plaster behind?

Can anyone comment on the above?

Thanks

Did you get the Elk enclosure or are you using your own?

The Elk unit has 2 screws that the board keyholes over with another 2 to secure it. If you're using a non-Elk enclosure, you need to find your own way to mount.

The best way to mount the panel so it is centered in the enclosure is to use two sheet metal screws. Remove the circuit board from the panel and use the back plastic mount as a template to mark the holes. Drill a small starter hole then use sheet metal screw to attach it to the panel.

I did exactly what BSR suggested. There are also generic mounting plates/brackets/strips made by various manufacturers that you can mount and drill into instead. But they are kind of expensive for what they are.

Yes its the enclosure supplied by Elk, the 28" one.

I may have misplaced the screws, I'll grab some sheet metal ones as suggested.

Thanks again!

I use a Leviton now and had to drill my own - I looked into a lot of those universal adapters for a while agonizing over trying to find the right one - they are too small, too weird, or just don't fit - so after a while I gave up. There's even a recommended one for keeping the UL cert but it's hard to find the part number, and once you find it you'll see that it's been discontinued and replaced;

At the end I just did as suggested above and popped the circuit board out and drilled.

Back