Please help with first powerup of new Elk M1 Gold system:

Someguy

I just finished installing my new Elk M1 Gold system. it has the two-way wireless unit, the ethernet adapter and a zone expander. I have a couple of questions:

I understand at first startup, i can use a keypad to enroll the zones, etc. but i also believe i can do this with the Elk RP2 software. I've got that downloaded. I'd like to know if i need to do anything first with the keypad to get going or can I just power it up and then go right to the Elk RP2?

also: i have some 4 old "sirens" and i'm not sure how to connect them to the "bell" / "voice/siren" connections. my previous sirens were connected to an "Elk-110 voice siren" (despite the fact that my old system was a GE system).

1) am I correct that the "bell" connections on the main M1 board just sends power to it's "siren" and this siren itself will have it's own system that generates the actual sound of a siren?

2) am I also correct that the "voice" connections can send either a voice or a siren, but all they really need is a speaker because the sound is created, so to speak, inside the M1 board and it just needs to be connected to a speaker?

3) if I have three "sirens" that were previously connected to this "Elk-110 voice siren" board, can i just connect all three of these in parallel to the "voice/siren" connection on the M1 board and expect them to work? I am concerned that they may be too much resistance to work.

I appreciate any help,

Someguy

I just finished installing my new Elk M1 Gold system. it has the two-way wireless unit, the ethernet adapter and a zone expander. I have a couple of questions:

I understand at first startup, i can use a keypad to enroll the zones, etc. but i also believe i can do this with the Elk RP2 software. I've got that downloaded. I'd like to know if i need to do anything first with the keypad to get going or can I just power it up and then go right to the Elk RP2?

also: i have some 4 old "sirens" and i'm not sure how to connect them to the "bell" / "voice/siren" connections. my previous sirens were connected to an "Elk-110 voice siren" (despite the fact that my old system was a GE system).

1) am I correct that the "bell" connections on the main M1 board just sends power to it's "siren" and this siren itself will have it's own system that generates the actual sound of a siren?

2) am I also correct that the "voice" connections can send either a voice or a siren, but all they really need is a speaker because the sound is created, so to speak, inside the M1 board and it just needs to be connected to a speaker?

3) if I have three "sirens" that were previously connected to this "Elk-110 voice siren" board, can i just connect all three of these in parallel to the "voice/siren" connection on the M1 board and expect them to work? I am concerned that they may be too much resistance to work.

I appreciate any help,

Someguy

When you initially connect a keypad and power up the M1 for the first time, the keypad with address 1 will automatically enroll with the M1. Keypads ship from the factory configured with a default address of address 1.

What you don't want to do is connect multiple keypads before you set their addresses. The M1 won't be happy if more than one keypad has the same address.

You can configure your system through the keypad, including zones, but it is an awfully painful way to do things. Connect your first keypad, configure the serial port via the keypad, and then use RP2 connected through the serial port and do the reset of the configuration from your PC.

If you previously had an Elk 110 board, are you sure you had sirens connected to it and not speakers? The 110 produces siren sounds, but does so through speakers. So I'm wondering if it is those speakers that you want to connect to the M1 or if you have 4 true sirens.

1) Setting Global Option 26 (G26) to YES causes OUT2 to produce a 12VDC voltage, limited to 1 Amp. You'll need to check the current draw on your sirens to make sure they won't draw more than 1A in total. It is assumed that the siren has its own built-in driver to produce the sound, such as the Elk-45 siren.

2) If you configure Global Option 26 to NO, OUT2 will produce siren sounds for use with a speaker. If you want to connect multiple speakers, you may need to connect them is a series/parallel combination to keep the total impedance from going below 4 ohms.

Voice announcements go only to OUT1, in addition to siren sounds. OUT1 is usually used for inside the house and only speakers can be connected to it. OUT2 is used for outside, where you probably don't want voice announcements.

3) If your sirens are really speakers, then yes, you need to worry about the total impedance. Use a combination of series and parallel connections to keep the impedance in the range of 4 to 32 ohms.

If you don't already have everything installed and wired up, I strongly suggest doing a bench test first. Put the M1 on your workbench (or even the kitchen table) and wire up a keypad and power it up and see if it works.

Next, connect a PC to the serial port and fire up RP2.

Once you get that working, connect your wireless zone expander and enroll it. No need to configure zones just yet. It needs to be configured as the first zone expander (address 2 on the DB).

Now, connect the wired zone expander. It's best to configure this at a high address, such as DB address 12. That will leave a gap of unused zones between wireless and wired, allowing you to grow the system up of down into the unused area later. It prevents a lot of painful reconfiguration later if you add more expanders.

Note that data bus addresses are in different classes based on the device type. Each type has it's own range. So keypads are in one class, while expanders are in their own class and keypad address 2 does not conflict with input expander address 2.

Once you have the expanders as part of the system, it's time to add the M1XEP. This is the most complex device to add. The instructions are pretty detailed on the steps, but it helps to have some networking knowledge about things such as network addresses, subnets, static addresses, dynamic addresses and DHCP.

I found that the Elk M1XEP Diagnostic Utility is helpful to figure out what's going on with the M1XEP.

If you can't do a bench test, I would advise you to at least try the same sequence of steps with things mounted in place. If you connect everything up at once and it doesn't work, it's not easy to figure out what is wrong without disconnecting everything and taking it one step at a time.

One thing to pay attention to is the data bus termination jumpers. There should always be exactly 2. It's important to get them in the right places based on how you have the bus wired up.

Also, check your total current draw for the system. The total current draw for all your devices needs to be less than 1A. Sirens connected to OUT2 don't count. Keypads, zone expanders and the M1XEP do count. If you are over 1A (or just very close to it), you will need an aux power supply.

@RAL
I really appreciate you taking the time to type that all out. i had already installed and connected my system, so I just disconnected the zone expander and enrolled the wireless unit and then connected and enrolle the zone expander. next, i added ehte M1XEP. it did take a little finagling but I got it all running.

I have a few comments:
yes, i believe that my "sirens" are actually speakers. i checked their resistance and had to connect them in a combination of parallel and series to keep their resistance >4 ohms.

I have a couple of questions:
1) I don't see where I set the "global option 26" setting. where is that?
2) where can i find a description of what the options are for the different zones to configure them correctly in the RP2. I have my smoke detectors connected and working, as far as i can tell, but i also have doors, motion sensors, and glassbreak sensors and i'm not sure which options to choose for them to configure them.
3) what are my options for monitoring? can i somehow just have the system call the fire department directly? (i am sort of kidding, because i don't think that is permitted but i don't understand why.) :)

@RAL
I really appreciate you taking the time to type that all out. i had already installed and connected my system, so I just disconnected the zone expander and enrolled the wireless unit and then connected and enrolle the zone expander. next, i added ehte M1XEP. it did take a little finagling but I got it all running.

I have a few comments:
yes, i believe that my "sirens" are actually speakers. i checked their resistance and had to connect them in a combination of parallel and series to keep their resistance >4 ohms.

I have a couple of questions:
1) I don't see where I set the "global option 26" setting. where is that?
2) where can i find a description of what the options are for the different zones to configure them correctly in the RP2. I have my smoke detectors connected and working, as far as i can tell, but i also have doors, motion sensors, and glassbreak sensors and i'm not sure which options to choose for them to configure them.
3) what are my options for monitoring? can i somehow just have the system call the fire department directly? (i am sort of kidding, because i don't think that is permitted but i don't understand why.) :)
1) If you are setting up OUT2 through the keypad, G26 is under Menu 07. If you have RP2 working, it is under the Globals folder on the G26-G28 tab. Checking the Siren check box sets G26 to NO, for use with speakers.

2) The best descriptions of the zone definitions is in the Installation Manual, starting on page 30. The manual is oriented towards alarm professionals, so it doesn't go into great detail of why you would use each definition. If something isn't clear, often others in the forum can help.

For exterior doors, you would use defs 01 or 02. Windows and glass breaks would be 03. Motion detectors usually use 04, or 05 if a exterior entry door is visible to the detector. Smokes would be 10 or 11.

3) Monitoring by a central station is the best way to go. Alarmrelay.com is a popular choice, and they know about setting up to monitor the M1. Your homeowners insurance may offer a discount if you have central station monitoring, which can offset the monitoring cost.

You're right about not setting up the M1 to call the police or fire dept directly. In many areas, that will get you fined. Automated calls result in too many false alarms. They want a real person on the line.

Your other option is self monitoring, where the M1 will call your cell phone or send you an e-mail. The problem with that is you may not be in range or may have your phone turned off (say in a theater). Self monitoring has lots of holes, but many people still choose to do it.

A few questions about your smoke detectors.

Are you using 2-wire or 4-wire smoke detectors? If 2-wire, did you chose a type that is listed for use with the M1?

Do you have them connected to a single zone or to multiple zones? Using multiple zones can cause problems when trying to reset them after an alarm.

Last edited:
@RAL Again, i really appreciate the time you have spent to help me. i think i have my zones all configured correctly, per your instructions and the installation manual. I will work on the alarmrelay.com next.

my smoke detectors are all 2 wire and i'm not sure if they're listed to work with the M1. i'll have to look into that. they are the ones that were connected to my old GE system.

I have them all daisy chained to zone 16 and i've set them up as 2 wire smokes with the hard switch on the panel and in the RP2 programming.

Thank you again,
someguy

A daisy chain of 2-wire smokes is the simplest way to do things. 4-wire smokes are more complex and multiple zones adds another layer of complexity.

The list of compatible smoke detectors is in the M1 installation manual (page 6). There are System Sensor and some GE/Sentrol models that are certified for use with the M1, so you may be in luck if you have one of those models. There might be additional models that can work, but you would need to dig into the detailed specs of the detector to determine if it could work.

There might be additional models that can work, but you would need to dig into the detailed specs of the detector to determine if it could work.

My smoke detectors are System Sensor model 5601p. they are not on the compatibility list. how could i confirm compatibility using the detailed specs?

Would it not also be an option to just make smoke under all of them, one at a time, and see if they all work and all alert the M1? couldn't this confirm compatibility?

My smoke detectors are System Sensor model 5601p. they are not on the compatibility list. how could i confirm compatibility using the detailed specs?

Would it not also be an option to just make smoke under all of them, one at a time, and see if they all work and all alert the M1? couldn't this confirm compatibility?
The 5601p is a heat detector rather than a smoke detector. It trips if the temperature reaches 135 degrees, or if there is a very quick increase in temperature (called Rate of Rise). Are all your detectors this same type? Normally, you would have true smoke detectors in places like bedrooms, living rooms, etc, but not in a kitchen, utility closet with a furnace, attic or garage. Those places are where a heat detector would be used.

Heat detectors like the 5601p are one-shot devices. Once they trigger due to exceeding the high temp limit, there is no way to reset them.

The 5601p can't be connected to a 2-wire smoke circuit since it will short the zone circuit out when it triggers, just like a door or window contact would. If your other detectors are real smoke detectors, the 5601p should not be on that same zone. It should be on a separate fire zone from the 2-wire smokes.

2-wire smoke detectors are a bit complicated in the way they work. They use the 2 wires to draw power and sound an audible alarm, but also need to use the same two wires to signal an alarm condition to the panel. Unlike a regular door or window contact, they can't short out the zone wires to signal an alarm, as that would kill their own power. To signal an alarm, they use an internal resistor to draw higher current than normal and pull down the zone voltage, and the alarm panel triggers on that.

Different models of 2-wire smokes draw different amounts of power in stand-by mode vs when they trigger vs when they are in an alarm condition. And different alarm panels sense an alarm condition at different current/voltage levels. That's why it is important to use smoke detectors that have been certified for use with a particular panel. The current that the detector draws when it triggers has to match what the panel senses as an alarm condition.

You can't just connect a detector that has not been certified and be sure that it will work under all conditions. If you do your own test, it might work during your test, but then it might not work during an actual fire. You don't want to take a chance like that with life-safety stuff.

For most models of System Sensor smoke detectors, I recall seeing a table of alarm panels that they are compatible with. Otherwise someone at System Sensor may be able to tell you.

Last edited:
Back