Just starting out

aschaef

I've got my M1G board powered up and have attached the keypad locally. I have run a few wires through the ceiling and have hooked up a door sensor and garage door track sensor. I didn't use EOL resistors on the 2 doors so far and have set them up in the ElkRP to be Normally Closed. When I view the status they both show a state of "Short (-)" with 0 volts. Is this what it should look like?

Thank you!
Andrew

Sorry my search wasn't turning up good results. I got pointed in the right direction by frogmeister. Thank you!

The EOL Resistor at the switch allows for sensing of the circuit open or shorted. Do not put the resistor at the control. It is a waste of a good resistor. In that case program the zone definition as Normally Closed and remove the resistor instead of placing it at the control.

Normally closed zones with no resistor have better noise immunity than EOL wired zones. What you loose with no EOL Resistor is the ability to detect the wires shorted together between the control and the switch. The alarm triggers when the zone circuit is opened with a normally closed zone definition.

If you measure the zone input terminals with a voltmeter on an M1 you will see:

Zone Open: 12 to 13.8 volts DC, must be greater than 9 volts DC.
Zone Shorted: 0 volts DC, must be less than 4 volts DC.
EOL Resistor in place: 4 to 9 volts DC, normally about 7 volts.

good advice - and since the search doesn't go back that far by default, you're definitely excused ;-)

It's rare that EOL resistors are used in residential settings anyways. Of course they're ideal, but rarely used.

Alright, I've got another question and figured I'd keep it in the same thread. I setup the keypad to announce "Front Door [say Closed/Open]" The sensor is set to Normally Closed, so when I open the door I hear a chime and it says "Front Door Open" Is there a way for it to chime and say "Front Door Closed" once the door closes?

Thanks again!

You would have to write a rule to do such. Not sure if I'd do it, but it's up to you if you want to use the rule memory space to do such.

Back