Lowest Cost Multi-Zone

mikei-ma

I'm looking at adding multi-zone to my home and am looking for the lowest entry point to get there. After looking at available solutions I've got a couple of ideas. I'm not looking to add keypads right away but instead go with Roomie Remote on ipads/iphones in the house.

Option 1 - New MC-66 $399 (or B-stock for $339)
add a couple of t-class amplifiers for zones as I need them ~$25 each (I'll need 2 now)​
write serial interface in roomie remote​

Option 2 - Ebay Russound CAA6 / CAA4 as I find them ~$500/$600
serial interface in roomie already​

Option 3 - Xantech ZPR68-10 on ebay ~$200

add a couple of t-class amplifiers for zones as I need them ~$25 each (I'll need 2 now)​
write serial interface in roomie remote​

Option 4 - Various other ebay multizone systems (with serial control)
ADA Millenium (circa 1996) ~$150​
etc...​

Am I missing a really cheap serial controlled preamp somewhere?

Thoughts?

Mike

I'd make sure some others have used that Roomie Remote with any of the systems, just to make sure it's 'do-able'. You don't want to be the guinea pig.

I use keypads currently, for audio, and they're quite handy for quick changes - vol down, power on, power off - single button presses. And, I really appreciate the song info at the KP.

Make sure you have a solution for streamed sources.

Look closely at what you're missing, compared with more expensive options. In 5 years, you may want more.

Just a few thoughts.

When you say song on the KP - what system are you using? I think if I go with Russound (ca or only c series?) or xantech? I can get that in the future correct?

FYI - I went a different route. I purchased a Yamaha RX-A3000 which has 4 zones. I can run my theater plus drive 3 other zones (2 are amplified + 1 pre out) It's IP, Serial, and IR controllable so I think it'll be future proof.. (for now)

I went with Nuvo. You have to use Nuvo source components to get metadata at the KPs. The only source I use is the MPS4.

Back