Show Off Your Home Touch Screen Interface - 2013 Edition

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Many of us rely on touch screens to control many aspects of our 'Cocoon', so I wanted to start a thread which shows off what you have been doing.  If you can include some comments such as the software you use, etc, that would be great as well, but keep discussion limited (start a separate thread if you do want to talk about your setup), as it would make it harder to find the pictures ;)

Try to keep the file sizes down, you don't have to post native resolution versions (scaled down to ~800x600 usually works well, and is small in size).  You can attach multiple files to 1 post, so this should be an easy process.

This is the time to show off!

I'll try to get the ball rolling here.  (These screen shots are all scaled down to 800 x 600 resolution).

Using older HomeSeer version 1.7 and displaying screens via older MainLobby (I've got to upgrade one of these days.

Hardware is shown in my blog and consists of Elk M1, Ocelot, 10-bit serial analog to digital interface board, Davis weather station (using Virtual Weather to display icons), plus some other humidity, barometer,  and rain gauge tipping bucket external sensors.

I really haven't changed designs/software in a long time as this has just worked for me and runs on my older computers.

screen1.jpg   screen2.jpg  

screen3.jpg  screen4.jpg  

screen5.jpg   screen6.jpg

screen7.jpg

I recently purchased CQC and I've only done event driven programming so far...not any interface development yet.  Still have much to learn before I can attempt that but this thread will be great and show what is possible and give me ideas to steal borrow.

Here is my contribution as part of my kitchen remodel.  I built in a recess for a 23" monitor on one wall of our kitchen, which is centrally located in our house.  I installed a 10-point multi-touch monitor by Acer (T232HL), which was released with Windows 8.  Since the remodel isn't done, we haven't painted, and therefore haven't used it much but I can't wait to use it more.  Who knows, I might have a fancy CQC interface to use with it by then.  Next project after the kitchen will be to put another one at the top of the stairs, which would be central to the bedrooms.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:533] [sharedmedia=gallery:images:532]

(I tried but didn't know how BraveSirRobbin got his pictures to show up side be side.  At least my gallery pictures don't show that way in the preview.)

BSR attached them with the 'Attachment' feature, not the gallery, interesting observation tho.

Feel free to include basic info such as the touch screen hardware, and software powering the design (but let's not turn this into a home automation software discussion thread ;))

Here's a few of mine...

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 435
  • lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 490
  • tstat.jpg
    tstat.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 464
  • audio.jpg
    audio.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 381
Well I haven't really changed my screens in several years.  I'm running CQC and this is my main touchscreen in the kitchen.  Most rooms use simple hard button remote controls because that is easier than dealing with touchscreens.  But we also have a couple of tablets/phones available if you need wireless touchscreen control.

Music Now Playing Screen
CDNowPlaying-1.png

Music Repository Screen 
CDRepo-2.png

Movie Selection Screen
DVDRepo-2.png

DVD Info Pop up Screen - appears after making a movie selection and allows a user to play the movie or go back to the selection screen
DVDPreview.png

Playroom CCTV Screen
CCTV.png

Weather - Current and Forecasted
Weather-1.png

Weather Radar Screen
LocalRadar.png

HVAC Screen with Runtimes and Graphs
HVAC.png

HVAC Setback screen - allows simple control of setback temps - setbacks are set based on alarm status
HVACSetpoints.png

Local Traffic Cam Screen
TrafficCams-1.png

Here I have been experimenting with some new old little tabletop capacitance touch screens. 

I have other touchscreens in the walls on the two floors of the two story home (plus basement and garage).

These little tablets are all over the house lately (count is up to around 15 today).  Kind of driving my wife nuts though now with 2 in the master bedroom and 1 in the master bathroom (plus the Omnitouch screen in the wall), 2 in the family room and so forth and so on.

These little computers came with an embedded Linux OS with Flash.  Today they run Windows XP, Linux Ubuntu and Android 4.0.  Lately have modded them with a ZIF SSD drives as the built in flash is only 1Gb.

I have also run the HSTouch application using the Linux and Android builds for this device just fine.  I've tested it in Linux and Wintel as an automation controller/touchscreen (works fine).

7 of these today are running "old" XP with current version of HSTouch and Homeseer (also have an OPII/Omnitouch et al stuff in the house).  I have also installed the Homeseer speaker client along with a variety of speech fonts. (also have a Russound zoned audio system set up with both HAI OPII and Homeseer) They are set up for VR but I do not utilize it today.  I have tested VR to work with the small table top tablets.

I am recently playing (now collecting them) with same company's touch screen energy hubs and phone hubs (a but more hardware, similiar OS, easy to modify).  I currently have one running Linux Mint and another one running XBMC Frodo on its flash memory card.  It streams HD cams just fine along with 720 HD movies. 

Last year played a bit getting W8 running on them and it worked fine. 

Attachments

• JogglerW8-1.jpg
    JogglerW8-1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 179
  • JogglerW8-2.jpg
    JogglerW8-2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 226
  • HS-Touch.jpg
    HS-Touch.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 272
  • openpeak_openframe7.jpg
    openpeak_openframe7.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 234
Here are a few flavors of screens old and new.
This is my original set. What I liked most about it was that I custom programmed the whole system in .NET. Worked great, and fun to learn how to do, but not as robust as modern mainstream packages.
Main
0a392fca-d9c9-41f1-aa9d-ea69f91d35c6_zps640732ab.jpg

Security
1ddb733a-ce73-4b6f-982c-0e8880bb19eb_zps0e6ea0a0.jpg

Media
2588b7a4-141a-4e6c-b7c3-df4fd83e1d16_zps550bde91.jpg

Climate
ac068b0d-b274-444d-834d-93c84731b064_zpsa734bd88.jpg

Next set. Made with Elve.

Media
920c227c-49e6-4cb3-9e4f-7ee5c4fcbb65_zpsd23c9365.jpg

Climate
39f1bdb9-2cde-4417-b9c3-0fa22cccf329_zps3877c411.jpg

Thermostat
28f3da33-58a1-409e-ae7a-c61749fe981c_zpsfb3c1c1e.jpg

Security
f7555f9c-e80c-4f2b-b189-02de9db55cde_zpsc3b58de1.jpg

And current (experimental) mobile set. The goal here was to work on functionality and ease of use first before making it pretty. Though I must say it is extremely snappy when on 4G/3G since there are hardly any images to load.

Main
2baebacb-694e-47d4-a8d0-81253546bd39_zps646a3844.jpg

Garage
43151c59-7cf0-4bae-849f-b192102b3a40_zps3343dba6.jpg

Thermostat
4d65cf24-8fa2-4469-bfaa-a211bf410a5d_zps724d09c5.jpg

Security
4e45054a-47dd-4f82-a03a-46f0a99e44dc_zpsa74c19ee.jpg

Media
74e11c94-5925-4487-b8eb-6ec268c6178f_zps49fab07b.jpg

pete_c said:
Very nice iostream212!   
Thank you so much pete_c. I dig that you were able to get so many OS on the little computers you mentioned above. Currently I have no embedded touchscreens. Can you elaborate on the hardware?
Also I forgot to post an image of my newest project (XBMC driver). Here is a snapshot of the notification feature of XBMC bound to my front door camera. Though still in progress I should be able to pause playback of the movie, load up the camera feed for a period of time, and then after a preset time resume play automatically, or manually resume play. Pretty exciting in terms of automation integration.
xbmcteaser_zps0db80c92.png

iostream212,

You are playing with embedded touchscreens; IE: Android.  I rewrote the Android FW OS on my Android device tweaking it a bit. (personally it was like getting blood from stone though; VIA WM8650 is a bit primitive hardware).

Been lately playing with XBMC some. Here too playing with some XBMC and HA automation stuff. 

Some (6?) of the O2 Touchscreens today though have been modded a bit by replacing the EFI boot on flash to a Coreboot/Seabios and lately installation of a ZIF SSD drive.  (some of the devices just soldered a 40 pin ZIF connector to the motherboard; others already have the ZIF connector on the motherboard). 

Newest playing around though has been installation of XBMC on the flash of one my play units with the EFI bios.  Its not been really modded too much and I cannot open it without special tools.  (here just been rewriting the BIOS and flash stuff and hoping not to brick it).

Mostly though lately trying to break my MythTV box (OTA, Satellite and HD cable streams).  Thing is that I do not watch TV much these days. 

Here is the Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O2_Joggler

Here are the specs of the O2 Joggler:

1. Display 7” capacitive TFT touch screen (single touch), LED backlight, 800x480 pixel resolution Datasheet
  2. CPU Intel Atom Z520 (1.33 GHz, 512KB L2 cache)
  3. GPU Intel SCH US15W (GMA500) (Poulsbo SCH with hardware H.264/MPEG-4 AVC playback)
  4. RAM 512MB 
  5. Storage 1GB flash (64MB boot, 256MB OS, 256MB backup OS, 450MB general storage) 
  6. (Wired) Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000baseT) 
  7. (Wireless) Internal Ralink RT2770 USB adapter (802.11b/g/n) 
  8. Audio Two internal speakers and 3.5mm stereo jack socket 
  9. Power 5V, 4000mA DC (adapter supplied)

Thanks for the info. By embedded I meant physically embedded, as in in-wall, of which I do not have. Thus I always appreciate reviews of touch screens that are out there, and candid reviews of them. Good info. Are the o2's still available? I couldn't find any on eBay.

In wall touchscreen at home stuff started more or less with the playing around of car pc's in the the early 2000's.  I used the back set front headrest "clam" shells used for automotive LCD monitors for my first in wall touch screen.  That was tethered to a low power PC at the time (VIA Epia - same as my car pc's).   Did also play (low on the WAF) with a Kodak Kiosk display sometime in the 2000's.  It was a resistive screen mounted on a PC case (small for the time; large by today's standards).   

First thin small tablet I played with was called an Epod and it was CE based.  It was thin and wireless and did OK surfing the internet. 

The Openframe O2's are still out there. 

The original software/FW base has been modified as to not call home and is similiar to the Chumby running a flash based Linux interface with numerous flash based widgets. 

Elk M1 Gold, UPB Lighting, RCS thermostats and eclectic mix of IP Cameras and DVRs.

Running on a mix iPhones, iTouches and iPads. All hand held for now. 

Everything is eKeypad except the background images on the blueprint. Photoshop and some dedicated online floor plan creation software was used to create those image files.

[Update] Homejones asked later in this chain about support for iRule in eKeypad. This is something we have looked into and have several contacts at with them. It will be a huge effort though. No timeframe at this time (Spring 2013).

Attachments

• Screenshot-2012.08.16-20.52.16.jpg
    Screenshot-2012.08.16-20.52.16.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 540
  • iPad_Portrait_Alarm-Control.jpg
    iPad_Portrait_Alarm-Control.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 571
  • iPad_Portrait_Video.jpg
    iPad_Portrait_Video.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 507
  • Screenshot-2012.08.16-22.44.39.jpg
    Screenshot-2012.08.16-22.44.39.jpg