Show Off Your Home Touch Screen Interface - 2013 Edition

Well not to repeat myself... check out my blog here on Cocoontech (with over 95K views) that details my Touchscreen based whole house audio, lighting and security setup. I use Netremote for the GUI frontend and Girder 5 for the home automation. It has everything from Elk integration to the Grace Digital Internet tuner controlled via UPNP. I use everything from my ELO 24" Touchscreen, Advent Mobile PC, Droid Razor, and a Kindle Fire.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/blog/8/entry-119-nowplaying-2012-showcase/

http://cocoontech.com/forums/blog/8/entry-379-skin-for-kindle-fire-now-playing/

Some shots of my 5.7e's here.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/19231-my-automation-studio-layout/page-2#entry172126

http://www.floorplanner.com/

HomeAllIcons-New.png

That row of icons in the middle is dynamic, they show or hide depending on statuses or things happening; window open, door open, sprinklers on, consoles muted, etc.

ZoneStatus.png

Temps.png

Irrigation.png

I've made some changes, just haven't taken the time to grab new screen shots.

Hey John-

Always been a fan of your setup! I'm interested as I've used NetRemote and Girder. I have moved away from Girder and got into EventGhost, but haven't decided what to do about a front end.
I also use JRMC for my music server (as well as my HTPC interface) with a large library. Using NetRemote, browsing via MB is fast and a pleasure - no other program has come close to this. I was looking to add some cheap tablets, but did some RDP/VNC experiments with an iPAD (they were given to me... I would never buy one :p ) and the results were bad on all accounts. Do you have any videos showing your setup using a tablet and the response times?

As of now, I was about to start an HTML frontend for my A/V control. However, stick with the Android apps to control JRMC and my automation devices. I was thinking one design for all and let the device re-scale the layout if needed. Not so much integration with a single app, but it's easy enough to hit the home button and open my CCTV or automation app and then go right back. It would definitely reduce the overhead in time which I seem to loose more and more of each year!

Using the 2X RDP app on my Kindle Fire I see very little delay. It feels like NR is running natively on it. In fact this has worked so well I took my 15" ELO touchscreen offline as I use the Kindle Fire most of the time now.

I don't have any video's right now. Personally I have yet to see any advantage of using something besides Girder for HA. I own Homeseer 2 and Elve Pro and neither can interface with JRMC as well as Mediabridge and none interface with Girder as well as Netremote. My current setup has been stable and runs 24/7. I agree that nothing works as well with JRMC as NR does. The search and browse functions are quick and the undates between clients is instant. If I change the track on one touchscreen it is instantly changed on all clients. With the other apps I have tested they are not even in the same ballpark.

What resolution are you running the desktop for RDP at and how well does 2X adjust to that for different devices? Are you using a VM for each RDP session or a server OS to allow for multiples?

2X allows you to set it so that the server you are loging into takes on the RDP's clients own resolution when you connect. So I created a skin for Now Playing for each device at the devices native rez (Kindle Firefly or Droid Razor Maxx). I am using the Windows XP three login hack on my SageTV server so I can use two of those to login into which is more than enough for me in this house since we are empty nesters these days.

jaysonc said:
Elk M1 Gold, UPB Lighting, RCS thermostats and eclectic mix of IP Cameras and DVRs.

Running on a mix iPhones, iTouches and iPads. All hand held for now. 

Everything is eKeypad except the background images on the blueprint. Photoshop and some dedicated online floor plan creation software was used to create those image files.

[Update] Homejones asked later in this chain about support for iRule in eKeypad. This is something we have looked into and have several contacts at with them. It will be a huge effort though. No timeframe at this time (Spring 2013).

What did you use to generate the first floorplan image?

Guys, keep chatter to a minimum please, start a new thread (or use an existing one if you discussed this before) if you want to discuss how things are done.  The majority of the posts in this thread should contain screenshots.  Thanks!

Back