Denon Receiver Zone 2

Does anyone know whether Denon receivers typically allow both the HDMI audio and the analog audio on the same source to be used simultaneously, such that the HDMI is used for main zone and the analog is used in zone 2? Or will both zones use the analog or the digital only? Trying to solve the "no digital audio through zone 2" issue by feeding a simultaneous analog in. Thoughts?

I'm unsure in Denon's case, but I have this issue with my Pioneer (the newer models support digital audio for both zones). I cannot play digital audio sources on it's second zone. I don't know if it will work if you have the STB connected to both HDMI and analog inputs, but you could alternatively, connect the STB analog outputs to another input (e.g. Tape or one of the other unused ones). This may not be intuitive, but may be a workaround...

It may depend on the model, but it works that way on my 3808.  I have, for example, my DTV receiver attached with stereo audio as well as HDMI so I can output ball game audio to my deck which is on zone2.

I was just looking at some of the newer models today and I think the higher end like the x4000 have true second audio zone capability, so those no digital audio limitations go away.

Yes, My 3808 has 7 amps, two of which are assigned to zone 2.  You can adjust the surround mode on each zone independently.  

Even my brand new (2 month old) $1K Marantz (same company owns both) can't do this. Only one source, analog or digital. And, no digital in zone 2 unless you step up to the $1300 model.

I seriously doubt Denon can do that, but would love to be proven wrong.

With Pioneer, starting with the standard (non-Elite) VSX-1123-K  (MSRP: $599) model, they offer digital audio (HDMI) out over Zone 2.

However, you don't get RS-232 control, unless you go with an Elite model... which all support HDMI audio out of Zone 2.

oh interesting; my minimum viable product was that which had RS232, I just wasn't willing to spend $1300 upgrading my Denon 3805 (which worked fine) just to get both HDMI switching and digital over Z2.

Yeah. I've been a Pioneer fanboy for a number of years (both car and home), so I generally follow their products fairly closely. Having said that, I've been running the same Elite AVR for about 5 years, and it's about time for an upgrade. There are a number of features that I'd like to add, namely the various streaming options. The other thing that I'm currently lacking is HDMI inputs; my current AVR has 3; they're all used and I've got more devices that I want to add... I don't want to go the route of a HDMI matrix switcher, when an AVR could do everything.

Here's what I do for zone 2 on my Onkyo. I plug chomecast into a HDMI pass thru switch that has an analog audio output. I then plug both the HDMI and analog audio into the "game" input on the back of the Onkyo. I don't play games so game = chromecast. Now if I am watching or listening to chrome cast I get digital in the main room. I always leave zone 2 on and the analog will go to a Jamo MPA-101 amp that feeds a ZI8 impedance matching speaker block that feeds room volume controls. Now I can fire up music whether the TV is on or not from anywhere in the house with any device.

I know with my 3312CI it is not possible to play the digital audio signals input from the HDMI terminals in ZONE2 or ZONE3.
I need to use the analog connections for those two zones. But I can certainly AirPlay anything to anywhere which solves that problem.

I'm in about the same situation.  I'm leaning toward the Marantz NR1604 as it has a number of input options and I'm only going to be driving a soundbar (Definitive Mythos SSA-50 prolly).  It's a wide open family room/kitchen and while it's pre-wired for 5.1 in the ceiling I don't plan on using that (too much would end up resonated upward into the master bedroom above).  Anyway, that's a different issue.

I don't "need" zone 2 playback, however the manual for the NR1604 states:

It is not possible to play the digital audio signals input from the HDMI, COAXIAL or OPTICAL connectors in ZONE2. Play using analog connections (in stereo) 
So there's that.  

This AVR would be situated exactly where the wiring for the nearby outside speakers are routed.  Actually, the same cabinet is intended to house whatever amp would be used for it.  Being able to use the AVR to redirect to it would be convenient, but alas not with the lack of digital down-conversion.

I'm not pressed for space, so I don't actually need the slim size of the NR1604 (but I do want the component input).  The SR5007's manual likewise repeats the lack of digital audio output on zone 2.  

It's not until stepping up to the SR7007 that you get digital output on the zones.  But the manual reads like a bit of gibberish on this.  Lots of room for 'assumptions' and we all known where that has gotten us in the past with AVR 'features' for zones. It does show that it's HDMI output for a second zone does not handle converting component inputs over to HDMI.  It does on the main zone, of course, but not additional ones.  So "there's that" again.

So which Denon?  The X3000 manual is encouraging here:

Code:
he HDMI audio signal is converted to PCM format so you can listen to HDMI sound from the ZONE2 pre out or ZONE2 assigned speakers. 
Alas, the next step down, the X2000 does not share this feature:

In ZONE2, you can select iPod/USB, TUNER, NETWORK or an input source with an analog audio input connector.

Clever how they word it (the lack of HDMI input source conversion, that is).

So for my application is would appear the X3000 is a worth considering.

Moving upmarket, the X4000 does not support converting component video inputs to the HDMI ZONE2 output, just the HDMI audio sources, apparently.  So while you can convert component input to HDMI, the component OUTPUT for it will only pass non-HDMI input video sources.  

Then there's the Airplay debacle.  It's unclear whether or not AirPlay can be supported on the non-primary zones (without forcing the primary to also use it).  The solution there would be to use an Airport Express or AppleTV (>spit<) as a source.

UPDATE: The best solution I have found so far, use both analog and digital audio feeds for all sources. If there are no analog outs on the source (Apple TV second gen and third gen for example), this little guy works well (extracts the digital audio, converts the signal to analog, then gives analog outs, plus passes the original digital signal to the HDMI out):

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Product/Details/10251?mainCategoryId=101&categoryId=10114&subCategoryId=1011412

All receivers I have found so far have had this design. Seems like it would have been a simple addition of a second ADC to handle the issue. All sources should be available to all outputs, just seems like that would be reasonably assumed.

Back