Problem connecting with myKeypad Pro

yrkd05

I'm having difficulty getting myKeypad to connect to my M1. My isp is Comcast which does not provide fixed ip, so I've opened a dyndns account and have a unique hostname from them. I assume that's what I should enter when myKeypad prompts for "hostname"?

For port, I entered 2601 and checked the "secured" box.

For login, I entered the username/password I have for the M1 on the passwords tab of the M1XEP setup window.

For passcode I entered one of our 5 passcodes we have on our system, the one for user1

something's not working, any ideas?

I'm currently in my house and my phone is connected via wifi to my router.

Thanks.

Check out this thread to create a unique user and ensure "access" is not checked in the Elk RP software.

Also, what is updating your ISP's current IP address to your DNS name?  Is it software running on a PC or does your router support automatic updates to your dyndns account?

To test this "ping" to your dns name and see if your current IP is resolved.

I pinged my dyndns hostname and it returned the ip address to my router, so that seems to be working.

Regarding what is updating my current IP to dyndns, I filled out the "Dynamic DNS" tab on the M1XEP setup screen. Is that updating dyndns with my latest IP?

I'm confused about the username and password that's needed. I understand this to mean the "password" tab on M1XEP setup, where up to 8 usernames and passwords can be entered. I currently have only one entered, and used that for myKeypad (unsuccessfully). I don't see where there is a box to check for access. Also, I don't understand what the difference would be to set up a separate username/password for myKeypad, what would make it unique to that application?

yrkd05 said:
I'm currently in my house and my phone is connected via wifi to my router.

When on your LAN, use the ELK M1XEP IP address.  Your DynDNS host name only works in the WAN environment, i.e. from Starbucks or the 4G cell network.

Create a unique user under "Users" in Elk RP and UNCHECK "Access" as shown in the screen shot below (enter your own user name and code of course).

joeuser.jpg

Then, go to the Elk XEP setup and enter that user for authorization there as shown in the screen shot below.

joeuser2.jpg

As stated above, use your local address inside your LAN for testing (like 192.168.1.2) just to get this setup.

jpmargis said:
When on your LAN, use the ELK M1XEP IP address.  Your DynDNS host name only works in the WAN environment, i.e. from Starbucks or the 4G cell network.

I use my DDNS info from my LAN connection w/o any issues. This keeps me from having to change the address, or having multiple "systems" setup.

Note that this works for both my Elk as well as my CCTV system.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Create a unique user under "Users" in Elk RP and UNCHECK "Access" as shown in the screen shot below (enter your own user name and code of course).

attachicon.gif
joeuser.jpg

Can you comment on what the Access authorization is for? I follow all of the others, but have no idea (or don't remember) what Access refers to, or why you would uncheck it...

jpmargis said:
How about some details?  I would like avoid the inconvenience of switching as well.

I use No-Ip DDNS (free) and enter my domain information into the address field. Nothing special.

I used to use their Windows updater, but now have my DD-WRT router update it instead.

I use tzo.com and have no trouble inside my lan as well.  My Linksys router provides the updated IP address using that service.

Note that dyn.com bought them out, but I can still use that name.

I have no idea what 'Access' unchecked does, I just know that the author of the software said to uncheck it.

The only con that I can think of (using the DDNS name) is that it may take an extra second for the device to resolve the external IP address, but I've never felt that it's slow.

I suppose if my ISP was experiencing issues and I didn't have an external connection via my WiFi network... I'd need to A) disable WiFi on my device to use the cell signal or B ) enter the local IP address. Fortunately, I haven't run into this issue.

DELInstallations said:
More than likely a quirk of their app not liking the string sent along with "access".

Sure. But, what does it do in terms of Elk functionality?

The rest of the entries in the list are items such as Arm, Disarm, Distress... which are pretty obvious as to what they allow. Access is just so vague, that I'm not sure what it does. Access to what?

Access is used for rules; if you have that box checked the user won't be able to use the app if I remember correctly.  It's to tie in with access control systems or the RFID reader - checking the box makes it run the rule rather than just arm/disarm.  For instance - if you have a wiegand reader set up and you DON'T check Access, each swipe of your card will either arm or disarm the system; if you want something different to happen, like opening a door, check the Access box and program what you want to happen in the Rules.

Your router will decide if you can use your external IP internally; some routers do the hairpinning no problem; others make it damned near impossible.  Surprisingly it's usually the cheaper consumer gear routers that make this easier.  Some will not allow LAN traffic to talk to the WAN port that way.  It's generally referred to as Hairpinning, or NAT on a stick in the cisco world.  Note - Netgear routers are very friendly for this - never had a problem.

The best way to get the app working is on your LAN/wifi using the XEP's internal address - when that's working, then change the IP to your external one - that way you can eliminate variables. Once you've switched to the External IP, try switching off your wifi so you know your phone is on 4G to test truly off-net; if that works but it doesn't on Wifi, then it's the hairpinning that isn't working - but at that point you can search google for a fix since you'll know exactly where the problem is.

Back