Windows 8.1 64-Bit (Full) OEM Build at Frys for $88 w/Free Shipping

Here I have been "playing" with the 32 bit runing Windows 8.1 on a lite Intel CPU / tiny bit of memory.  Works well for me. 

In my head I have sort of separated Metro from the old "start" button traditional interface treating them as two distinct autonomous interfaces, switching to and from as I need one or the other.  I don't know though if I like the "block" look in my face thing yet.

Well metro being the "hand" touch stuff and the traditional hand to mouse thing.  The "hand" touch stuff is faster to me; but it still causes a bit of a grief when I use a regular desktop non touch monitor. 

I did play with a sort of virtual DIY "baked" touch screen 3rd party interface; well thinking its adverstised in the MS store.  You just go to the web site; it reads your hardware and creates a custom touch interface with a bunch of bells and whistles; neato idea.

I wonder though if touch desktop monitors will be coming to the office desktop.  Geeze imagine an office with a bunch of desktops and folks waving their hands in front of their monitors all maestro like....(wondering if they will need bigger cubicles).

I installed version 8.1 (64-bit) on my wife's new system I built (got a killer deal on the hardware from NewEgg) and found it to be the most intuitive and easyiest (Microsoft) operating system I've ever installed! :)  Of course this is JMO and your mileage may vary!

Yup here wife utilizes her desktop mostly related to getting mail and google searchs on the internet. 

No social web sites or anything similiar. 

I do try to keep her desktop similiar to what she sees at her work. 

They (work) have over the last year "shut off" their email access to the internet (employees at home accessing internal email servers).

pete_c said:
They (work) have over the last year "shut off" their email access to the internet (employees at home accessing internal email servers).

So have they set up something like Citrix or remote desktops as the alternative?  That's how my wife's firm handles remote access.  Let's them remote into a session on the citrix server and access everything from within there.

Nope.  They sort of disconnected any remote.  She deals with domestic / international monies stuff and Federal reserve stuff. 

There was never any remote access provided but there used to be remote mail access and that now is gone. 

They have set up remote DR facilities which is good but probably wouldn't help much in a "real" situation these days.

Back