Control two cable inputs in basement from first floor

I have a camera system in the basement and I want to be able to switch the TV in our kitchen from our cable box to the camera system. I would like something wireless if possible.

thinking it would have to switch both places because one is the cable signal and the other is the normal BNC 

Any way to do this? 

Any suggestions?

I only have the coax cable that was run to the kitchen. If I had to pull another wire I will just wanted something wireless if it exists. 

That's what I thought.

I think I'm going to pull two cat 6 lines and do HDMI over cat6. The camera system I have does have HDMI and the cable has HDMI. so I can store the cable box in the basement also

Need to do something for the remote control.

You can pull another Category wire and use it for IR signals. Check out Xantech and their DL85K or the ML85K. I've used both of these kits in various homes with success.  

WRT to the structured wiring, I use wall plates that utilize the Leviton QuickPort system. Leviton has a 3.5mm QuickPort (40839-SWS) that connects to the Category wire (in wall), and the DL85K receiver can plug right into that. This avoids any splicing with crimp connectors or soldering.

When I used the ML85K, I did splice the wiring within the wall box, and slightly drilled out a CATV wall plate to mount the receiver.

I like the IR over coax idea. and the quick port system is nice as well. Thanks for the input.

Is it possible to use the same HDMI and IR distribution to different TV's? Can I use one cable box and have it show the same channel in three different rooms?

I guess a quick google search led me to this:

http://www.tripplite.com/hdmi-over-cat5-cat6-extender-splitter-transmitter-video-audio-1920x1200-1080p-60hz-4-port~B126004/  (amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-B126-004-Extender-Splitter/dp/B003VXY7KC)

further research you can use these wall plates: http://www.amazon.com/B126-1P0-WP-1-Passive-Extender-Remote-Wallplate/dp/B00BFRKYX0

Look's like at least a $500 investment to get the project done.

Passive extenders can be hit or miss.  If you can find something that'll do HDBaseT that'd be a lot better, even if a bit more expensive.

I'd probably look to something like this:  http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10914&cs_id=1091405&p_id=10684&seq=1&format=2 or potentially look at some more pro options.  The difference is it's converting to a proven technology and back - and that single Cat5 will support IR, Ethernet, Full 1080P HDTV w/3D, etc. 

Passive splitters really just try to cram the pairs of an HDMI cable onto Cat5/6 - they don't do anything to boost the signal or convert it or add any intelligence whatsoever - so it's easy for them to degrade the signal or offer pretty poor performance.

When you start talking about wanting source(s) on multiple TV's you start to get into a Matrix, which also isn't cheap. However, these are what can be used to share multiple video sources (usually from a central location) to multiple TVs.

Yeah I was going to mention that too - unfortunately matrix switches for a 4x4 tend to be $2-$4K.  I agree though, a Matrix is the way to go.

Well, 4x4 HDMI monoprice matrix is $160 and works pretty well.  Add what ever combination of HDMI wallplates, cables, $50 active HDMI cables, or $200 HDBaseT extenders that will work for you and you are still under $1k.

Guess I missed that one :pray:  I was caught up with looking for ones that supported HDBaseT right in the matrix.

I only have the coax cable that was run to the kitchen. If I had to pull another wire I will just wanted something wireless if it exists.

I have kept the coaxial cable stuff simple.  I backfeed in house video to the coaxial stuff such that the LCD TV gets the HD stuff and the SD stuff via one cable.  Works for me.  Not sure though that all of the newer LCD TV's get legacy SD broadcast stuff.  Wireless works but it is not preferred to the coaxial cable or the wired network cable.  IE: guest bedroom TV has one network and two coaxial cable connections.  The network connection goes to an XBMC box which connects to the TV via an HDMI cable.  The coaxial connection is going to the tuner connection on the TV.  You can see more TV with the XBMC box streaming live or recorded or web based media than the broadcast coaxial cable going to the tuner on the LCD TV.

Just a slightly OT question but can you elaborate a little on your system. Each TV has 1 network AND HDMI per XBMC? Are the boxes local? And one coax for SD tuner. Do you use the other coax?

I have a similar setup and am currently using a mixture of Roku's and Chromecasts to distribute via Plex. Live TV is always an issue so I'm always looking for that perfect setup.

To the OP depending on the number of cameras you could always convert the signal to IP ( single converter or capture card in a computer). That would open up some options for viewing in other locations.

Back