Alternative to Home Security Store?

skeboni

I had a bad experience with HSS (where they sent me the wrong item and don't respond to my voicemail or email trying to resolve the issue.) And they recently changed their site to say "all sales are final." I'm looking for a place that will provide limited tech support (and of course customer service.) I'm new at this - never installed or programmed a system before, so a bit of hand holding is in order. Can anyone recommend a place to buy from? There are PLATT stores near me that are excellent for all my house electrical stuff - I'm not sure if they're security folks or not. Looking online, they have to special order stuff, so it looks like maybe they don't deal much in security stuff. Any recommendations out there?

:hesaid:   You'll find a lot of folks here have had good experiences with Automated Outlet.

Many of the users here are also very good about answering questions and having good product knowledge as well... but yes, for ordering AO and ASI/Worthington are both very good as well.

Yup; here purchased my first HAI OPII panel form ASI/Worthington in the early 2000's. 

I also helped a friend with a new home build purchasing all of the LV wiring stuff from them just a couple of years back.

Certainly AO and ASI Home/Worthington are both great, and I use them for larger orders.  But i wouldn't write off Smarthome and Home Controls. They might be slightly more expensive in some cases, but they also both have excellent service and sometimes they carry a wider selection than some of the others.

I have used Worthington as well.  I originally bought most of my elk items through them.  I had one issue in that one of my wireless sensors had a bad label and/or weak battery.  The Elk could not detect it after entering it into the system, my receiver is in the attic so I did not use the learning process .  Upon return they hassled me because it tested good on their end but when I insisted they did send me a new one.  So they are no longer my first stop for anything needing any type of support.  But I do still use them as a great source for wire, etc.

wuench said:
I have used Worthington as well.  I originally bought most of my elk items through them.  I had one issue in that one of my wireless sensors had a bad label and/or weak battery.  The Elk could not detect it after entering it into the system, my receiver is in the attic so I did not use the learning process .  Upon return they hassled me because it tested good on their end but when I insisted they did send me a new one.  So they are no longer my first stop for anything needing any type of support.  But I do still use them as a great source for wire, etc.

When I've had issues with Elk wireless sensors (two out of approx. 60 sensors), I contacted Elk directly and took care of the issue with no hassles.

Having said that, it has been my experience that AO seems to stock more Elk products than ASI/Worthington.

@Mike - Yep, ResellerRatings is a great resource.

AO doesn't seem to sell much honeywell stuff. I've got a Vista 20p hooked up to a Raspberry PI to ethernet. Still need all the wired sensors; I was thinking Honeywell or Bosch motions and ESL/UTC smokes. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm putting together a honeywell system. 

drvnbysound said:
When I've had issues with Elk wireless sensors (two out of approx. 60 sensors), I contacted Elk directly and took care of the issue with no hassles.

Having said that, it has been my experience that AO seems to stock more Elk products than ASI/Worthington.

Sorry, just to clarify they were caddx wireless sensors... This all predates the availability of the Elk wireless module and devices... But that's shows you how long I have had my Elk running... :)

Back