Decent twist ties?

wkearney99

I'm up to my ass in cords, like I'm sure everyone else is here.  At least anyone else that's collected FAR too many tech gizmos over the years (decades).  I've saved the twist ties that came with various gadgets and made good re-use of them.  But lately a lot of stuff is coming with crappy plastic twists instead of the old rubber-over-wire kind.

Anyone have recommendations on decent twist ties?   

Not zip ties, of those I've got plenty.  I don't find them as useful, as it's waste to have to snip them off.  I'll say this, however, of the ones I've zip tied, if they haven't been un-tied in 5 years that's a sure sign they need to head to the recycler.  Like a big-ass tub of SCSI cables sitting up on one of my shelves...

I tried using some green garden tie stuff, but it was junk.  More of the same crappy plastic over far less flexible (and thinner) wire.  Bread bag ties are better than that crap.

I'm thinking a spool might be handier than a bunch of loose pre-cut ones.  Stuff like this is what I have in mind:
http://www.amazon.com/65ft-Black-Plastic-Twist-Cutter/dp/B006L29AAW/
But the reviews seem to indicate it's a bit thin.  27ga ain't much wire.

Anyone have a favorite brand/supplier?

Sure, for stuff I'd be regularly uncoiling, the velcro is great.  I use those on the stuff that's in the laptop and travel bags.  But for stuff that's not seeing regular use, but not permanently affixed, I find it's much handier to use the plastic/rubber-wrapped twist tie variety.  I was just looking to find whether anyone's found a decent source for them, not the crappy kind.

drvnbysound said:
Depending on the application, I use velcro, electrical tape, or zip ties.
Not the tape!!!

Pet peeve of mine, stemming from guys using it or the adhesive labels on cables. Once any heat or time is on them, makes a huge gummy mess all over the cables, and in the case of black electrical tape (especially the cheap stuff) gets all over everything.

Let me be clear, this isn't for cable management of gear that's in fixed use.  It's for the various extra bit of stuff that gets accumulated over time.  Sometimes it'll be for an external drive that's pressed into service for a while, an ethernet cable feeding a DVR or a USB gizmo for the kid's game console.  The idea being it's convenient to have decent quality ties for these purposes.  I'm looking for a source of decent ones, not the all-plastic crap that's coming with a lot of the gear lately.

I agree, tape is entirely unsuitable, for nearly anything and certainly not for my purposes here.  About the only time I bother using it anymore is to secure a cable to a fish tape.  Any other time the left-behind residue is a hassle.  I'm sure there's merits for it, and stuff like silicone 'rescue tape' is a whole other thing.  But let's not fork off onto that discussion here.

Sometimes it'll be for an external drive that's pressed into service for a while, an ethernet cable feeding a DVR or a USB gizmo for the kid's game console.

Here I use a rubber band and an old thick plastic zip bank cash bag (or Cisco parts zip bag).  Much of the new stuff purchased comes in folded cardboard in a box that can be reused if you keep the box and cardboard in tact.

I always roll up the cables and put the last bit of cable in the loop created by the rolling up of the cable.

cables.jpg

My wife using her Tupperware wisdom also purchased a few shoebox sized Tupperware containers for me which I also use except for hard drives. 

Most important stuff usually is the USB cable and or power supply for this stuff.  Over time a good rubber band doesn't crumble. 

Flower arranging uses a soft covered steel wire that can be handy for keeping it's shape and strong, comes in spools. Green though.

+1 Velcro Onewrap. Skip the hole, use as a wrap.

My new Sony TV came with a releasable zip tie attached to the back; squeeze to release. I'm sure they can be found without the TV. I will look for them online.

C'mon guys, are we not actually reading what gets posted?  Or are we just posting 

pete_c said:
Here I use a rubber band and an old thick plastic zip bank cash bag (or Cisco parts zip bag).  Much of the new stuff purchased comes in folded cardboard in a box that can be reused if you keep the box and cardboard in tact. I always roll up the cables and put the last bit of cable in the loop created by the rolling up of the cable. My wife using her Tupperware wisdom also purchased a few shoebox sized Tupperware containers for me which I also use except for hard drives.  Most important stuff usually is the USB cable and or power supply for this stuff.  Over time a good rubber band doesn't crumble. 

I don't like the coil-and-tuck method as data cables aren't typically intended to be coiled and bent that tightly.  

Nor do I use rubber bands, they all rot and are, honestly, a hassle to stretch & wrap.  Then there's also the bend radius problem.

Ziplocs are indeed handy.  I found some nice 9x12" ones for various letter-size manuals.  

Back