Vertical extension cords?

The old fashioned commercial office desks had a rounded metal electrical box.

It was not recessed for electric which looks a bit tacky.

It's been a while that I quit using the outlet in the floor for desk and went back to the wall adjacent to the desk.

Well, it's under furniture, not a permanent setup.  So SJ and Plugmold would be less than ideal.  That and there'd be the issue of how to effectively secure it that didn't mar the wood flooring.  Still, it's an idea that could work in some situations.

I'm not planning on doing an upright service box, aka tombstone, for the outlet.  Just that the single circular one is less than ideal and I may consider alternatives.  I might switch it to a 2-outlet flip-up kind, like a Wiremold 895 Round Duplex Receptacle.  The existing single round flange works but it's annoying to keep working around its limiting factors.

Yes; here my in floor outlet is in tile / box.   Originally the desk that I was using the floor outlet was a bit off the wall.  Over the years I installed a small file cabinet and other furniture and moved computer stuff off the main part of the desk.

Doesn't help your situation though.

While it looked nice my personal use of it made it look impractical and I didn't want to replace the cover and elevate cuz then it would look worse.

That said though if it is under furniture then it will not be a big deal to have the electrical elevated some and it is your stuff anyways.

Plugmold with felt on the back, then adapted to SJ cable to plug in, not much different than a power strip, only difference being you can specify the length, outlets and then how long the cable is to the receptacle.

Legal to do even if not permanent.

Or you could just cut the end off of the extension cord and solder the wires to the prongs. Continue to a second device if desired. Nice and compact and also no chance of it falling apart. :p JUST KIDDING!! This is not recommended...

Back