HAI ZIM Updater not working - what is the latest firmware?

wdeertz

I have been having sporadic connection issues with my Kwikset lock which is only 10 feet from my ZIM (with no obstructions) so am trying to update the firmware.  I've downloaded the ZIM Updater program but it will not connect with my ZIM.  When I try to select the COM port it shows a port followed by what appear to be Chinese characters (see attached screenshot).  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Any known fix or a more recent updater (I'm using 1.15.4.33)?

Anyone know what is the latest ZIM firmware?  I have 14.27, is there a more recent?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-08-25 10.04.15.png
    Screenshot 2015-08-25 10.04.15.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 16
Yeah, I could write a book on faulty Leviton software products. 

I think the ZIM software you want is 15.01, but others please chime in if you have a better one.  There are versions newer and older, but they all have bugs of one type or another. Usually every new Leviton firmware fixes one bug and causes two other.  I had a rather old ZIM with a hardware bug so i bought a new one. that didn't have the hardware bug, but the software they are shipping on it had a bug where the time clock on the device simply doesn't work.  So when i paired it with my thermostat, the time stopped.  Don't they even do basic testing before they ship these things out? Guess not. 

In any case, as you have discovered, the "updater" really doesn't.  The only way i know to get new firmware is get it as a file in email.

Oh, by the way, those Kwikset locks are no winners themselves.  Do you ONLY have locks and a ZIM?  That is not a good combination.  You should have a few 120V powered devices to act as intermediaries.  A battery operated Zigbee device only wakes periodically so its best if a 120V device like a thermostat or switch can store and forward its data.  This company makes a relatively cheap Zigbee repeater if you don't have any other 120V devices: http://smartenit.com/product/zbre/

Even though the ZIM can be 120V powered, it acts like a battery device, which means ZIM (battery device) going to Lock (battery device) is really hard.  Put a repeater in the middle for much better results.

ano said:
Yeah, I could write a book on faulty Leviton software products. 

I think the ZIM software you want is 15.01, but others please chime in if you have a better one.  There are versions newer and older, but they all have bugs of one type or another. Usually every new Leviton firmware fixes one bug and causes two other.  I had a rather old ZIM with a hardware bug so i bought a new one. that didn't have the hardware bug, but the software they are shipping on it had a bug where the time clock on the device simply doesn't work.  So when i paired it with my thermostat, the time stopped.  Don't they even do basic testing before they ship these things out? Guess not. 

In any case, as you have discovered, the "updater" really doesn't.  The only way i know to get new firmware is get it as a file in email.

Oh, by the way, those Kwikset locks are no winners themselves.  Do you ONLY have locks and a ZIM?  That is not a good combination.  You should have a few 120V powered devices to act as intermediaries.  A battery operated Zigbee device only wakes periodically so its best if a 120V device like a thermostat or switch can store and forward its data.  This company makes a relatively cheap Zigbee repeater if you don't have any other 120V devices: http://smartenit.com/product/zbre/

Even though the ZIM can be 120V powered, it acts like a battery device, which means ZIM (battery device) going to Lock (battery device) is really hard.  Put a repeater in the middle for much better results.
Ano, thanks for the reply,  any idea who I can request version 15.01 via email?   Do you happen to have this firmware file you can send me?

My Zigbee network only consists of 2 Omni-stat2 and one kwikset deadbolt.  The ZIM is about 10 feet from the kwikset with no obstructions and the Omni-stats are about 15 feet and 25 feet with one drywall wall between the ZIM and the Omni-stat.  I haven't had any issues with the Omni-stats losing connectivity.  The Omni-stat2 are only 12v so I don't think these will provide the boost you are referring to.  Could I use this Zigbee repeater by itself with no 120v devices?

The ZIM is in my foyer and I have 3 lights that I'd like to control that I haven't been able to add UPB since the lights are not on my power network (on the condo building master power network) .  Could I add 3 zigbee light bulbs to these fixtures and be able to control with my HAI ZIM and PC Access?   Would this help my kwikset connection stay more robust with the 3 zigbee bulbs repeating the signals?

With Zigbee, I guess i should have said line powered and battery powered, not 120V powered and battery powered.  For whatever reason, an OmniStat2 does act as a line powered device, so if you have one of those within say 300 ft of the ZIM and 300 ft from a lock, you should be good to go.  I think a line powered device (OmniStat2) can support 7 or 8 battery devices each. So ALWAYS pair the OmniStat2 FIRST, then the Kwikset locks second. 

As for Zigbee lights, yes they work, and yes you can control them with PC Access or the panel.  I use the GE Quirky lights (about $13) and they work great.  Just define a bank of units as Zigbee, and you can control them like UPB lights. I use them in lamps.  They even act as repeaters, so they should help your coverage also.  I think the Cree Zigbee lights work too, but i have the GE.  (The GE Zigbee bulb prices jump around all the time. On Amazon it might be $25 one week and $13 the next.  I wouldn't pay more than $14)  $12 is about the lowest.

I'm happy to send you 15.01  Just PM me your email address.  Load the radio one FIRST.  If you see 15.02 or 15.03 floating around, don't be tempted. They have problems. 

So Zigbee has three device types. The ZIM is the administrator. You can only have one of those. Battery devices are end-points, and they only talk to repeaters or administators. All the line powered devices are repeaters, and they can talk to everyone, and forward messages from end-points.  And routers can talk to routers, but there is a limits on the number of "hops" allowed.

ano said:
Also note, the OPIi can only turn Zigbee bulbs on and off. No dimming. Go figure.
Thanks for the heads up on lack of dimming with the Zigbee bulbs. I was about to purchase a few at Home Depot but given lack of dimming I'm not sure they will work in my application. A little off topic but do you know if OP2 can fully control any of the Zwave bulbs?

My mistake.  I didn't have the latest OPII FW, but after I upgraded and checked again, I do see that you can dim, at least in 10% steps.

ano said:
My mistake.  I didn't have the latest OPII FW, but after I upgraded and checked again, I do see that you can dim, at least in 10% steps.
Ok thanks, let me see if I can find somewhere else on the web. Will need to get a single Zigbee bulb and try it out before deciding if this is the way to go.

Ano, ok I contacted the Leviton support and they claimed the Zigbee updater was working. When I explained what I was doing and how it wasn't working they sent me the firmware update files.  The support person indicated it was version 15.0 that was broken but the current version 15.03 is supposedly working so I will give it a try. 

I'm going to get a few of the GE zigbee bulbs and see if I can enroll into the network and control with OP2.  I'd like to add a zigbee motion sensor but don't see where I can add this in PC Access.  I assume it would go in the zones section but don't see an area.  My intention is to only use for triggering the lights so does it go in the units section?

So the Zigbee bulbs will go to any dim level, just set the Unit to the desired dim level. Anything from 1% to 100%.

Let me know how ZIM 15.03 goes. I just sent you 15.01, which seems to be working for me.  I might have the versions mixed up but i thought I tried 15.03 without success.  I need to log all these versions better because Leviton certainly doesn't. 

Did they send you 15.03 or did you get it from the Zigbee Updater? I have ever yet to get a new version in the updater, and I just downloaded the latest updater.

I do not see support for Zigbee motion sensors, but if i had to take a guess, I'd guess it is because the panel is UL certified, and my guess is they never bothered to get it UL certified for Zigbee sensors since they don't even sell any Zigbee sensors.

If you have a Zigbee motion sensor, you could try to learn it as a "unit" and see if it makes the unit go on and off when its triggered.   It may work. I have been meaning to try that.

Another option is just get either the Leviton Wireless receiver or the GE Wireless receiver and connect it to your panel. then you can get motion sensors and use them for the alarm and lighting.  I use the GE receiver 42A00-2.  Then you can use these motion detectors: http://www.amazon.com/Interlogix-Wireless-Indoor-Detector-60-807-95R/dp/B00070LZ5W
And these work for the alarm and lighting,

wdeertz said:
Ok thanks, let me see if I can find somewhere else on the web. Will need to get a single Zigbee bulb and try it out before deciding if this is the way to go.
I got 2 of the GE Link bulbs and added them to my network. The dimming works but not very well. I'm not sure if it's the bulb or PC Access.

ano said:
So the Zigbee bulbs will go to any dim level, just set the Unit to the desired dim level. Anything from 1% to 100%.

Let me know how ZIM 15.03 goes. I just sent you 15.01, which seems to be working for me.  I might have the versions mixed up but i thought I tried 15.03 without success.  I need to log all these versions better because Leviton certainly doesn't. 

Did they send you 15.03 or did you get it from the Zigbee Updater? I have ever yet to get a new version in the updater, and I just downloaded the latest updater.

I do not see support for Zigbee motion sensors, but if i had to take a guess, I'd guess it is because the panel is UL certified, and my guess is they never bothered to get it UL certified for Zigbee sensors since they don't even sell any Zigbee sensors.

If you have a Zigbee motion sensor, you could try to learn it as a "unit" and see if it makes the unit go on and off when its triggered.   It may work. I have been meaning to try that.

Another option is just get either the Leviton Wireless receiver or the GE Wireless receiver and connect it to your panel. then you can get motion sensors and use them for the alarm and lighting.  I use the GE receiver 42A00-2.  Then you can use these motion detectors: http://www.amazon.com/Interlogix-Wireless-Indoor-Detector-60-807-95R/dp/B00070LZ5W
And these work for the alarm and lighting,
Leviton support sent me version 15.03, I was unable to get the updater working. So far it seems to be working alright. I will need to monitor and see if any problems pop up.

I have the HAI wireless receiver but have signal strength has been an issue. I have 2 replacements on order to see if that fixes the problem. I suppose I could order a few more HAI motions but they tend to be on the high end compared price wise compared to alternatives. I may need to try a Zigbee multi sensor to see if it will work as a unit.

I went with the GE receiver. The good part about that is cheaper sensor (several companies make them) and the ability to use a repeater. which I use and works great.  My house is not that big, but I use a GE repeater for sensors, a UPB repeater, a Somfy repeater, and a Zigbee switch "repeater."  I actually put an outlet up high near the center of my house to plug these in. No problems since. These wireless technologies can be flacky.

On the dimming, I assume your complaint is that the dimming doesn't go close to zero.  That is the bulb's fault, and its just the way LED bulbs are built. To save money they use simpler circuits that just can't dim low. You could try the Cree bulb to see if its any better. 

Can you send me 15.03 if you think its working O.K.?

ano said:
I went with the GE receiver. The good part about that is cheaper sensor (several companies make them) and the ability to use a repeater. which I use and works great.  My house is not that big, but I use a GE repeater for sensors, a UPB repeater, a Somfy repeater, and a Zigbee switch "repeater."  I actually put an outlet up high near the center of my house to plug these in. No problems since. These wireless technologies can be flacky.

On the dimming, I assume your complaint is that the dimming doesn't go close to zero.  That is the bulb's fault, and its just the way LED bulbs are built. To save money they use simpler circuits that just can't dim low. You could try the Cree bulb to see if its any better. 

Can you send me 15.03 if you think its working O.K.?
Ano, send me your email via PM and I'll send you the 15.03 files.  This firmware seems to be working alright with no issues thus far.

I've added another 5 GE Link bulbs to my network.    I've used these bulbs for night stand lamps and at $15 a pop this is a much less expensive alternative than UPB wall switches when using for a single light.  The Zigbee signal seems to be fairly strong as I'm showing 100% signal strength on all devices even those going through several sheetrock walls and 35 feet away.  On my HAI 45A00-1 receiver I get poor reception when only 15 feet away with no obstructions.

All commands seem to work with these GE Link bulbs (on/off/toggle/dim/brighten/light level) except the ramp command.  PC Access shows a "ramp command" but it doesn't seem to work.  I assume this is a limitation of the HAI zigbee controller????  It would be nice if the ramp command worked as I'd light the bedroom lamps to ramp up to 100% over a 30 minute period in the morning for a gentle wake up.  Are you able to use the ramp command?

wdeertz said:
Ano, send me your email via PM and I'll send you the 15.03 files.  This firmware seems to be working alright with no issues thus far.

I've added another 5 GE Link bulbs to my network.    I've used these bulbs for night stand lamps and at $15 a pop this is a much less expensive alternative than UPB wall switches when using for a single light.  The Zigbee signal seems to be fairly strong as I'm showing 100% signal strength on all devices even those going through several sheetrock walls and 35 feet away.  On my HAI 45A00-1 receiver I get poor reception when only 15 feet away with no obstructions.

All commands seem to work with these GE Link bulbs (on/off/toggle/dim/brighten/light level) except the ramp command.  PC Access shows a "ramp command" but it doesn't seem to work.  I assume this is a limitation of the HAI zigbee controller????  It would be nice if the ramp command worked as I'd light the bedroom lamps to ramp up to 100% over a 30 minute period in the morning for a gentle wake up.  Are you able to use the ramp command?
First, Amazon has the Zigbee bulbs cheap again. $11.24 http://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Connected-60-Watt-Equivalent/dp/B00NOL16K0
Don't wait to long. they can be $11 one day and $45 the next.

I would take the Zigbee signal strength meter with a grain of salt.  Remember Zigbee is a mesh network, so hopefully you have a line powered Zigbee device not far from the ZIM, and that is probably what the signal strength represents. The lock strength to that device, who knows.  Also, I've noticed that as you get more Zigbee things, the network will actually optimize itself over time so signals get even better. Zigbee can be much more reliable than Z-Wave if you do it correctly.

I tried the Zigbee ramp and it didn't work for me either. Probably some Zigbee devices support it but not these bulbs. Some Zigbee devices even display power used, and PCAccess can display this, but these bulbs don't support that either. What do you want for $11. :eek:

With the ramp, you could do that with programming. Just send a new dim level every X minutes. You could probably go in 5% steps.

My GE receiver seems to have pretty good range. I even gave some sensors on an outside gate and it works.  This was before i put in a repeater. That is really just for extra measure. I had one sensor in an other bigger house that didn't always work, so that is why i bought it.  If yours can't go 15 feet, that is pretty bad.  My GE receiver doesn't report the signal level as your HAI receiver does.

Have you tried to pair a Zigbee sensor yet?  I be interested in hearing if that works.  I will ask that on another thread to see if anyone has done that yet.

Back