Configuring an HAI ZIM

Here putting the Zim on the second floor home office.  I have a free Cat5e port next to desk.  Thing is to patch in HAI can have to run another cable.  

pete_c said:
Here putting the Zim on the second floor home office.  I have a free Cat5e port next to desk.  Thing is to patch in HAI can have to run another cable.  
RS-485 only takes 3 wires, Ethernet has 8, and you can live with only using 4 if your willing to have a lower speed, so serial and Ethernet can both coexist using the same cable.

Keep in mind, Zigbee is a mesh network, and the ZIM certainly doesn't need to reach all devices directly to work. Its pretty robust once you have enough devices.

Thank you ano.

Yup; no need fo the two to coexist on the same cable here.  There is an abundance of cat5e here.  I went overboard on it a few years ago using it for my 1-wire network and many serial connections.  Just going here with an RJ-12 to RJ-12 (RJ-45) on the patch panel and and same upstairs.   I have spare cable and ends.

Thinking that the RS-485 connection is also utilizing the 12VDC pin on the serial port to keep the ZIM charged up.  I have tested the RJ-45 today that isn't utilize pin for pin from the office to the basement and it is fine.  I just want to clutter my desk up more now with an eye on the ZIM.

IE: My original irrigation controllers (still in place today) were two Rain8Net's paired with one ~ XX foot serial connection to the mothership.  Worked fine for me.  Today it is one tiny PogoPlug Seagate Dockstar POE connected inside of the old Rainbird box running mono in Linux connected to the network and working on its own or with the mothership.  Works fine this way today. 

Back