Weather-proofing indoor motion sensors for porch

hrhrudi

I got a couple extra regular motion sensors with my DIY install security system that I want to use on the front and back porch for alert and HA functionality only. Both porches are covered, so each sensor would not be receiving direct moisture or sunlight, though obviously still susceptible to the moisture and such in the air. To help I figured I would try and waether-proof them, so I am thinking of non-permanent solutions (so I can change the batteries), so caulking or silicone seams are options I guess, but a removable weather proof tape may be better/easier to deal with. So I was wondering if others have tried this and if so what did they do and what were the results. I tried searching the forum, though apparently this isn't a common practice!

Thanks in advance!

Many have reported using the Insteon battery operated MS units outside with weather protection and no problems over the period of several years.

I have a co-worker who has installed one of the [indoor] Honeywell 5800 series PIRs on his covered back porch. No issues to report yet. I think he's had it out there about 3 months now. He didn't bother sealing it.

He uses it solely for automation purposes - to turn on the back porch light for X duration if motion is detected near the back door.

I've got my Lutron motion sensors on my porch ceiling. I did nothing to prepare them for outdoor use. Two years+ now, through 99% 100F summer days and 6F winter nights and they're still working well.  Now, this is a protected area and not exposed to any direct or wind-blown rain.  I would not expect them to work at all in a fully exposed situation, as their enclosures are not designed for that.  

LarrylLix said:
Many have reported using the Insteon battery operated MS units outside with weather protection and no problems over the period of several years.
I have two of these under a roof overhang overlooking my driveway that have been fine for years. I hard wired 9v power to them so they never need new batteries.

Back