HELP Finding In-Wall BLANK Speaker Grills...

DELInstallations said:
How about buying a cheap set of builder grade or similar....assuming you're either going to gut them or use to just fill the hole.

$20 compared to $15.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VM-AUDIO-Shaker-5-25-150-Watt-2-Way-In-Wall-Surround-Sound-Home-Speaker-Single-/301278112776?hash=item4625932c08:g:~JkAAOSw0e9UysJN
That would be fine if the baffle / speakers were removable.  I'm using these as a "cover panel" of sorts, and need to be able to access behind them by removing the false grill.

kevkmartin said:
That would be fine if the baffle / speakers were removable.  I'm using these as a "cover panel" of sorts, and need to be able to access behind them by removing the false grill.

The speakers are just screwed into the baffle; they seem pretty removable to me.

I have some old in-walls you can have, to pull apart. Need painting, 25 years old.

I like the new narrow/absent bezel style. Old ones have flanges. And disentegrating cones.

I actually have done this a few times in the house and have a few more locations I want to do:

Cut our drywall for speaker blank frame.

Place a 2x4 shelf along the bottom

Install an insteon outletlinc in a single gang box in cavity

Place a set of of speakers and an ELK speaker in cavity

Run line level signal from central distribution point and elk outplay from ELK to elk speaker

Cover with grill

Paint grill and frame

The PC speakers can be turned on and off with the outletlinc and are used for voice announcements throughout the house.

The ELK speaker is basically a siren

Once painted, it's barely noticeable.

93302e345bfe870ed1f3e1bd0492c313.jpg
df941ed579f8c9bb875828edafa5c665.jpg

Neurorad said:
I have some old in-walls you can have, to pull apart. Need painting, 25 years old.
I like the new narrow/absent bezel style. Old ones have flanges. And disentegrating cones.
How many / what size do you have, and what do you want for them?

DELInstallations said:
I think there's a helluva lot easier and cleaner ways to accomplish this.
Do tell... especially given the cost. Individually addressable voice announcement zones in each room?

Sorry for the delay, very long work days. I'll have to take a look this evening when I get home - might be late, project wrapping up hopefully tonight.

kevkmartin said:

Well, that's certainly a new spin on the idea.  

Me, I'd rather have the the equipment centralized, with as little as possible at the in-wall point.  Buried AC outlets, transformers and the like make me a little nervous when it comes to potential fire risks.

As I automate things I try to think what the next person running this house is going to think of what I install.  There's a part of me that really doesn't want to end up on one of those DIY nightmare slide-shows. 

wkearney99 said:
As I automate things I try to think what the next person running this house is going to think of what I install.  There's a part of me that really doesn't want to end up on one of those DIY nightmare slide-shows. 
Hehe!

The mention of DIY nightmare slide show reminds me of a pic of a resi rack I saw online, a long time ago.  The dude bought a 23" rack by mistake, and used lumber to make his switch fit (or was it an old Nuvo GC?).

I generally try to avoid doing anything that a professional wouldn't do, in my house.  As I live and learn, I'm trying to go back to fix all the things I did poorly a few years ago.

I think the speaker grill is a fine idea, though, to hide local equipment, if it can't be located in the closet.  Outlet in a junction box, still accessible, works for me. 

What I did meets all local code for accessibility of the outlet. It's really nothing more than an "alcove".

I honestly would like to hear from Del how he would accomplish the same objectives.

Back