Configuring an HAI ZIM

pete_c

Guru
Decided to start a short thread on configuration and use of the HAI Zigbee ZIM

Received my ZIM today.

It came in a plain white box with two labels on it.

zigbee-1.jpg

Inside the box was the ZIM, serial cables and instructions.

Powered it up via USB port.  Firmware Version was at: 14.27

zigbee-2.jpg

Downloaded HAI ZigBee Updater (1.15.4.33) from here.

Installed updater on desktop PC.

Updated radio then base firmware to V15.03.

zigbee-3.jpg

I tried to pair it to two Zigbee switches.  One was a regular switch and the other was an energy monitoring switch.

No luck.

Reset it.

Paired right away with the two switches.

It has been sitting on a USB port for a couple of hours.  Disconnected it and display remained on such that it is getting charged from the USB port.

Happy ZIM day!!!  If you are planning to connect it to an Omni, I would do that first, then use PC Access to pair devices.  i would pair the ones closest to the ZIM then work your way out.  Remember that battery operated devices, like locks, are known as end points and don't route, and their range is pretty short.  I think each repeater device (line powered Zigbee devices) can support four endpoints.  These devices do the heavy lifting.

Oh, a few suggestions, when updating the ZIM, DON'T TOUCH IT for 10 minutes AFTER it finishes.  NEVER. 

Also never adjust the Contrast on the ZIM to very light.  If you do, you probably won't ever be able to see the screen again to ever get it back.  (Yes I did this, and eventually got it back, but it wasn't easy. :wacko: )

Thank you Ano.

I noticed after the main firmware update screen went clear for a while.  I didn't pay attention to when it came back.

Did you extend you ZIM from the panel some or do you just leave it next to your OmniPro panel?

pete_c said:
Thank you Ano.

I noticed after the main firmware update screen went clear for a while.  I didn't pay attention to when it came back.

Did you extend you ZIM from the panel some or do you just leave it next to your OmniPro panel?
My panel is above the doorway in a closet.  I put a shelf in about 1 ft. from the panel for the ZIM, Somfy transmitter and GE wireless receiver.  I tried to separate them. I tried to keep metal to a minimum anywhere near them realizing the panel is all metal.

Thanks Ano.

Yup; here testing will initially install it next to the panel and long term may use one cat5e run from the basement to the second floor office.

I am out of serial ports right now. 

Question:  The RS-232 to RS-485 jumper pin is under the serial port and the RS-485 position is to the left eh?

@cobra,

Here have been testing Zigbee stuff since around the beginning of 2014 using a mixture of wired (well 120VAC) and wireless trinkets.  Batteries have lasted a bit less than a year on the wireless devices. 

pete_c said:
Thanks Ano.

Yup; here testing will initially install it next to the panel and long term may use one cat5e run from the basement to the second floor office.

I am out of serial ports right now. 

Question:  The RS-232 to RS-485 jumper pin is under the serial port and the RS-485 position is to the left eh?

@cobra,

Here have been testing Zigbee stuff since around the beginning of 2014 using a mixture of wired (well 120VAC) and wireless trinkets.  Batteries have lasted a bit less than a year on the wireless devices. 

Looking at my Lumina, the serial jumper is under the port, but it is labeled RS232/left and RS485/right.  It looks like my Zim is still configured on port 4, as it is blinking activity sometimes, but I don't have it plugged in...

Yeah, wholesale or open box is they way to go with these, found one the same way.

So then just move the jumper to the left? 

Yeah thinking it was a distributor as the original price was $200 and noticed that same seller was selling some Leviton HAI hardware old new stock stuff.

Why are not using your ZIM anymore?

Long story there... Short version is I planned to go with a Zigbee OmniStat2, and the OmniStat was misbehaving.  During debugging and to test it before sending it in for repair, ran the serial wires to the stat.  So after that didn't have to go wireless and left it wired.

Yeah here always have had the Omnistat (old RC one too) connected serially. 

I only had that combo network issue early on which didn't really have anything to do with thermostat and just dinging on serial bus.  IE: my Omnitouch 5.7 screens were also affected at the time.

Here always though have purchased from AO or Worthington. (since the early 2000's). 

I have come across a couple of deals where one alarm / security company has purchased another and they whole lot sale all of their HAI stuff bulk pallet wise.  The conversations with the seller mentioning something about the systems being way too complex for their installers to get training on et al. 

pete_c said:
The conversations with the seller mentioning something about the systems being way too complex for their installers to get training on et al. 
Most of the installers did fine, until they got to that damn chapter on the setting of the serial jumper.  Lost 5 installers that day alone. :eek:

ano said:
Most of the installers did fine, until they got to that damn chapter on the setting of the serial jumper.  Lost 5 installers that day alone. :eek:
The two position one? Wow!

I have gone slow here with adding anything to two panels.  I have experimented with the serial ports and currently am at capacity.

Personally never have used RS-485 on my OmniPro 2 panel.

Reading a bit there are major differences between an RS-232 and RS-485 (TIA 485).  One is the length of the wire with a suggested limit of 50 feet with RS-232 and 4000 feet with an RS-485 cable.

IE: here went to about 200 feet with an RS-232 cable (cat5e) for my irrigation control and it always worked fine.

In the 1990's I did use very long lengths of serial cabling for a few commercial projects, while never much paying attention utilized whatever black box solution was available at the time.  (well it was relating to printers, hundreds of feet of cabling in a football field sized rooms - well like an airport incoming freight location).  From my prospective it was just getting it done and I subcontracted and only saw the end results.

On another note relating to commercial/residential security stuff implementation I have noticed that the whole KISS has always been the methodology while the wiring parts have been done well; the actual wiring to the panel whatever is done, programming of the panel is something that has presented itself as difficult and almost like it is high voltage versus low voltage wiring which puzzles me. 

I do see that the OmniPro 2 panel 10 years ago was way more of a granular device than the standard alarm panel of the time.  Most of the profit made by a typical 3rd party residential alarm company 10 years ago related to reoccurring monthly costs and a very simple cheap simple to wire security panel with little wiring done.  Most of the attraction was the security keypad eye candy with no meat connected to it. 

I am still today having difficulty in the promotion of a thermostat that mostly is eye candy and becoming the center of attention in a home; guessing to justify the cost and making it attractive?

pete_c said:
I have gone slow here with adding anything to two panels.  I have experimented with the serial ports and currently am at capacity.

Personally never have used RS-485 on my OmniPro 2 panel.

Reading a bit there are major differences between an RS-232 and RS-485 (TIA 485).  One is the length of the wire with a suggested limit of 50 feet with RS-232 and 4000 feet with an RS-485 cable.

IE: here went to about 200 feet with an RS-232 cable (cat5e) for my irrigation control and it always worked fine.

In the 1990's I did use very long lengths of serial cabling for a few commercial projects, while never much paying attention utilized whatever black box solution was available at the time.  (well it was relating to printers, hundreds of feet of cabling in a football field sized rooms - well like an airport incoming freight location).  From my prospective it was just getting it done and I subcontracted and only saw the end results.

On another note relating to commercial/residential security stuff implementation I have noticed that the whole KISS has always been the methodology while the wiring parts have been done well; the actual wiring to the panel whatever is done, programming of the panel is something that has presented itself as difficult and almost like it is high voltage versus low voltage wiring which puzzles me. 

I do see that the OmniPro 2 panel 10 years ago was way more of a granular device than the standard alarm panel of the time.  Most of the profit made by a typical 3rd party residential alarm company 10 years ago related to reoccurring monthly costs and a very simple cheap simple to wire security panel with little wiring done.  Most of the attraction was the security keypad eye candy with no meat connected to it. 

I am still today having difficulty in the promotion of a thermostat that mostly is eye candy and becoming the center of attention in a home; guessing to justify the cost and making it attractive?
In theory, RS-485 can support multiple devices, but the Omni can't.  On the Omni, not much difference between RS-232 and RS-485 except, like you say, RS-485 supports longer wires and voltages are different. Just set it to what they tell you to. Some things use one, some the other.

Back