iPhone 7 performance v. Android phones

Honestly... wouldn't matter if they were 20x faster. I have only android for phones and only iPads for tablets. The iPads were free... that's about all I can say about them. The iPad Pro is nice with the pencil though... for my artist daughter.

Something wrong with their grandstanding on these silly points but it seems that Apples fastest model is about two years behind, if they want to play the old slanted speed comparison game. To beat the Samsung Android phones by 8% in speed, years later doesn't seem much of a brag.

When was the last time either of these companies made a single core phone in their top-of the line models? Geesh, single core phones are usually the give-away ones, now, or the pay-as-you-go models for $89, with no contractual obligations, to buy outright.

What am I missing here?

Yes, all current phones have multi-core CPUs but a lot of tasks inherently only run on one core.  Things like encoding video make good use of multiple cores.  A lot of user interface code runs strictly on a single core where the iPhone's 2:1 advantage makes a big difference. 

Craig

I'd LOVE to entertain the concept of iOS as wife/both kids have iPhones, but there's no tasker or tasker equivalent. Losing the ability to use NFC, Geolocation, or even something as simple as "dismissing the alarm clock app triggers CQC to tell me the weather and fuel level in my car so I know how to dress and if I need to leave early to fill up" would be a monstrous step backwards. (wife has a habit of driving my car if her car is low on gas, then we have 2 cars with no gas. Which I never know until i'm in the car and will be late for a meeting)

Then again, I don't have an entry level system. 
(apologies to larrylix, I haven't put the ISY in here yet, this doc is 2 months old and pre-dates that)

oFo6WQa.png

btw, for those who want to know more about a few of those. Only 2 vlogs created so far.

NFC to trigger car mode (waaaay better than just bluetooth connected or other BS), plus an "I'm home" or "I'm leaving" which is moar better than opening an app (or using your voice if its late at night and wife/kids asleep): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTowM1yKbXw 
Car fuel level stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_h5w1DibCc 

Well, I am sitting here reading this on a 12" Android, 64GByte, touchscreen, non-mobile computer with full detachable keyboard. I just couldn't resist it, as an upgrade to my Windows 7 Netbook, for the $182 at Walmart.

It blows the doors off the Windows 7 Netbook for browsing speed with it's quad core compared to my 2GHz Win 7 single core but the andoid O/S can't run a lot of stuff (but I am learning), and the Chrome browser misses about half of the webpage features and things that Chrome users must have no idea even exists.

For example. In this forum I am typing in a plain Jane text box, with no font styles, No icons for media, quoting etc... (Found at just above this text entry box on IE). There is just so much Internet MIA for IE, it's unbelievable!

But I try to keep a good distance between this $182 touchpad/keyboard machine, with USB and microUSB ports, SD card slot, full hardware keyboard, wireless mouse, and my wifes $800 iPad with a similar power and absolutely nothing that can be plugged in, (she even needs a special charger) as I don't want any broken glass from fights while we sleep.

I have learned, when she asks for technical support on her iPad, not to touch it at all, as it will do something stupid (I'm not good with touch screen stuff) and I try not to insult her iPad during sex (not with the iPad), lately :)

IVB said:
btw, for those who want to know more about a few of those. Only 2 vlogs created so far.

NFC to trigger car mode (waaaay better than just bluetooth connected or other BS), plus an "I'm home" or "I'm leaving" which is moar better than opening an app (or using your voice if its late at night and wife/kids asleep): 

I know I'm not going to convert you, but for others reading this, iOS 10 adds another way to interact with Homekit (beyond Siri and opening an app).  The Control Centre:

img_1977.png

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/15/ios-10-watchos-3-home-app-homekit/

Control Centre can now have multiple tabs.  If you set up Favorite Scenes, they appear as above.  There is also a tab of Favorite Accessories.  Incidentally, this indicates that Apple is pretty serious about home automation to give such prime real estate to these functions.

Craig

Yes but that's still requires manual interaction. I'm talking about true automation. Things like my points above, or "phone detects I'm within 2 miles of my house and its evening and GPS showed that I was at work today, prep the house for my arrival". I can record a vlog about how tasker works but basically it's running in the background at all times looking for a variety of factors to occur, then it does whatever you want.

I'm absolutely happy to come to iOS, my life has been harder since I left iPhone as family stayed. But I'd have to give up performing much of my home automation. Why would anyone who wants to do home automation do that?

Again, I'm not trying to convert you.  You have a sophisticated automation system that can't be replicated with Homekit right now.  However, for the sake of others, Homekit does have geofence triggers that can set "I'm home" or "I'm leaving" scenes.  I believe, however, that support for combining conditions is pretty weak.  

For example, I have a big open stairway at the front of the house.  I'd like to have a ceiling fan come on when the temperature difference, upstairs and downstairs, exceeds a certain delta.  (Heat rises, want to even out the house.)  AFAICT, Homekit doesn't support anything like that.  OTOH, Homekit changed a lot from iOS 8 to 9 and again to 10.  Maybe next year but I'm not holding my breath.  And I haven't found a fan that meets the Spousal Approval Factor.  ;)

Craig

Again, the word "conversion" is inaccurate for me. I don't subscribe to either monotheism (Apple) or polytheism (android). Conversion implies a dedication to a given religion. I had a M$ phone for 4 years, then an iPhone for 3 years, and an Android for the last 3.5. Its a tool, not my God. I'll use whatever tool can get my desired tasks done. I just happily paid $800 for an iPhone7 for my 10th grade daughter so obviously I don't detest iOS.

But, "for the sake of others" all I'm saying is that given CocoonTech'ers are here because we're all interested in Home Automation, we need to all acknowledge that Apple simply cannot be a part of that architecture. The capabilities simply do not exist. 

Does this make anyone a smart or dumb person for picking one way or another? Of course not. I know tons of folks who do some home automation but only do lighting and locks. They prefer Tivo for dvr, ADT for security, Carrier branded manual thermostats. They have their reasons and they acknowledge that they don't do full home automation.

If you prefer Apple for (insert reasons here), good for you. I'm in no moral position to judge, I used to score with twenty-something year old yuppie girls up in bars by removing their shoes, drinking beer out of them, then saying I'd carry them to the next bar. Clearly i'm just a fratboy chump at heart who's lost more than a few brain cells. 

pvrfan said:
Again, I'm not trying to convert you.  You have a sophisticated automation system that can't be replicated with Homekit right now.  However, for the sake of others, Homekit does have geofence triggers that can set "I'm home" or "I'm leaving" scenes.  I believe, however, that support for combining conditions is pretty weak.  

Craig
tasker is WAY more than control center buttons and geofencing, and it has nothing to do with someone having a sophisticated automation system or none at all. tasker automates your phone based on state of or events on your phone (mms received, app opened, battery level, bt device paired, nfc tag read, cell tower active, gps location, calendar event, display on, wifi off, phone oriented top down and on and on), which could be used to trigger events in a home automation system. combine it with sl4a (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripting_Layer_for_Android) running perl/python/ruby/tcl/lua etc scripts and you actually have a real computer in your pocket.

The lack of SD Card kills it for me.  I also like the removable battery.  I'm keeping my Note 4 until I have no other choice. 

It's still very fast.  I use the stylus often to mark up photos.  I still use the 3.5mm jack on flights.  Plus Tasker.  Plus the IR emitter.  Plus the control you get with Android which you don't get with iOS.  Plus the software development environment is free and runs on different platforms.  Plus it connects with all Bluetooth devices - not just ones that the manufacturer says are OK.  Plus the interfaces are not proprietary.

I would certainly be willing to switch back to an iPhone if they would make something better than what I can get elsewhere. 

Apple's stuff works very well, but you are locked into their system and are from then on subject to their choices.  You also need to use accessories which pay royalties back to Apple (in case you didn't throw enough money at them for buying their phone).

Of course there is this:

CrXTV9_WEAA_W0C.jpg

iOS phones are reported much better at geofencing than android items, apparently.

Although many are running Tasker on android phones, and wouldn't change because of it's power, they really can't get the geofencing up to par with iOS device users reports.

One ISY user, in the UDI forum, uses his android phone with several other logic triggers, to determine when he leaves his home, but still admits slow, and not real good precision with it.

I think IVB would recongnise his prowess as a real logic master also, so that wouldn't be a factor in the superiority of the iOS phones on that aspect.

Back