Where is the info about Tasks in elkrp?

RogueOne

I cant seem to find any info explaining the purpose or use of tasks in the automation section of ELKRP.
Any advice?
Thanks

A task is a soft device used to allow you to communicate with the panel through m1togo, ekeypad or other software or optionally through rules.

You begin by creating a task in the automation section of rp2 and check the "show" box. By checking the "show" box you make the task visible in m1togo and ekeyppad. Once the task is created it can then be activated by tapping a button in m1togo which in turn can trigger a rule.

For instance:

whenever garage door (task 1) is activated
then turn garage door (out1) on for one second

Next you go to tasks in your software and tap the garage door task button and the elk presses the garage door switch for one second (assuming that you have out1 wired to the garage door switch).

Mike..

To answer your question, I have naver seen any documentation on how to use tasks. The topic is most likely covered in one of the many Elk training videos.

Tasks are also useful when you have multiple events that need to be executed often. You can create a task and then add a rule that executes a list of events whenever the task is triggered. Then whenever you want to execute that list of events you can just execute the single task rahter than executing the events individually.

Mike.

I thought I would need tasks to use my ISY.  The only options I see for tasks is being able to name the task, click a show button or add voice.  But how do you actually create the task itself as in your example of the garage door?

I have looked at all the training videos and cant find anything about the tasks.

Thanks

When you first create a task it does nothing, you might think of it as a label or name for a yet to be defined action. Even if you make the new task "show" it will do nothing when you execute it from m1togo.

It is only after you write a rule or rules referring to that task that an event will occur. Whenever the task is activated then do ........

Here is what I'm trying to do.  I want to configure my keyfob button 3 to turn on my insteon lights.  In RP I click wireless then keyfob and click the drop down box for button 3 and see a automation task 1 through 32.  SO am I going about this the wrong way?

You should

1 create a task and give it a meaningful name
2 assign button 3 to that task
3  create a rule to turn on the light when the task is executed

Think of it from the pro mind....most end users aren't going to have access to the panel to play with the entire sandbox once it's set up and running. You use tasks to have N-variable actions be able to run by the panel.

Really, it's just a input variable to go to an output. You can have various items linked to the task to end with a single output. Tasks allow them to be mapped to a single output rule without adding more rules to the system memory.

RogueOne said:
Once again how do you create a task?  I can name it and add voice and that's all

You use rules to carry out the actions you want the task to perform.

e.g.

WHENEVER Button3 (Task 1) IS ACTIVATED
  THEN <whatever you want to do>

Rogue1
Do you know how to create a rule?

EDIT

It sounds like you have created the task and the next step is to create a rule that will trigger some event whenever that task is invoked in m1togo or other software.

RogueOne said:
Once again how do you create a task?  I can name it and add voice and that's all

That is all there is to it. Once you name it and add voice you have created a task. Now put a check in the "show" box.

At this point you should be able to see the task in your remote control software. It will not do anything but you should be able to see it in your control software. Once you get to the point that you see the task in your software we can help you to put it to work.

Mike.

I named task number 1 "lights" and clicked the show box.
Then created a rule that whenever "lights"task 1 is active THEN toggle state of living room lights.  I then went into wireless under the keyfob section and made button 3 2001=Automation task 01
This did not work.  I must not be doing it correctly

Back